J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hi All! Even though I am a hifi junkie from years ago, I lack some knowledge about digital equipment. Specifically, what is the advantage of connecting a dvd through the receiver, other than the ability to control it from the receiver? Old school dictates that direct connections are best to miminize loss of transmission and potential distortion (from dvd to projector via component, and dvd to receiver via optical coax). My not yet complete system consists of:
Denon avr5803 receiver
Denon dvd 5000 player
Sony VPL-10WHT projector
Monster hts5000 filter
Pronto tsu3000 remote w/ rf
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For audio or video? For video, if you don't have multiple devices to switch via the receiver, I don't see a good reason to have the receiver in the video chain at all.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
For video. Currently, the dvd is directly connected to projector via component cables. I understand that if I want to connect additional players, it would be better to connect via receiver, but I currently have only one video device.
John

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Some receivers do video upconversion. Also, having all the video run through your receiver allows you to use the OSD of your receiver anytime. Otherwise you'd have to switch the video input on your TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
abboudc said:
Some receivers do video upconversion. Also, having all the video run through your receiver allows you to use the OSD of your receiver anytime. Otherwise you'd have to switch the video input on your TV.
Which also means you have to have your receiver on whenever you want to watch anything.

Some receivers do transcoding, which is changing from one input type to a different output type (does not improve the original signal quality), which is not the same as upconversion.

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Understood. So there is no advantage (processing or otherwise) to run a single (as that is all I currently have) video device through a high end receiver (Denon 5803)?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Johnd said:
Understood. So there is no advantage (processing or otherwise) to run a single (as that is all I currently have) video device through a high end receiver (Denon 5803)?
None that I can think of. :)

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia said:
Which also means you have to have your receiver on whenever you want to watch anything.

Some receivers do transcoding, which is changing from one input type to a different output type (does not improve the original signal quality), which is not the same as upconversion.
He asked for advantages, which is why i said upconversion ala Yamaha 2600. Maybe i'm odd, but i have my receiver on when i watch anything, including broadcast TV. *shrug*

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
He also said that he only has one video source at this time, in which case, there is no advantage.

I don't watch TV with my receiver on. In fact, my TV has no audio connection to my receiver at all (and I have no cable box either, I don't watch much TV). Damn TV is already plenty loud enough as it is :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis