DVD-audio/SACD output via HDMI

L

lewpierce

Audiophyte
Newbie. I've dusted off my Denon DVD-1920 in order to listen to my collection of DVD-A/SACDs collection but after connecting it I have no output to my receiver. my current receiver is a Denon AVR-S960h and I assumed that I would be able to just plug it up to a HDMI cable and all would be great. However, the DVD-1920 shows the disk playing but there is no output to the speakers. I assume that I'm missing something, yes?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Newbie. I've dusted off my Denon DVD-1920 in order to listen to my collection of DVD-A/SACDs collection but after connecting it I have no output to my receiver. my current receiver is a Denon AVR-S960h and I assumed that I would be able to just plug it up to a HDMI cable and all would be great. However, the DVD-1920 shows the disk playing but there is no output to the speakers. I assume that I'm missing something, yes?
Appears that the Denon does not support DSD over HDMI (https://www.denon.com/en-za/shop/avreceiver/avrs960h) and if your player outputs DSD as a bitstream the receiver cannot decode it. In the player menu check that the player is outputting SACD (DSD) as LPCM/PCM and not bitstream.

L

lewpierce

Audiophyte
Thanks for getting back so quickly. How do I check the output?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This is an old player and from the manual (page 15) it can only read the CD layer of a SACD for outputting over HDMI, though most SACD have a CD layer, and the output format is PCM so your receiver should be able to decode it. For the SACD layers you need to use analog out, but your receiver does not have 5.1 analog input., though there are stereo analog input (I think) so for stereo SACD layer it should work.

You have checked that the receiver is set to the HDMI input your DVD-1920 is using?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
No dice on the Denon chief...
The Yamaha BD-A1060 is a blu ray player i have that will output dvd-A, Blu Ray-A, SACD 2.0 and SACD 5.1 through HDMI. It also has a DLNA feature that will output ripped multichannel DSD through HDMI as well. It is discontinued, but, one can still get it used or find new in stock. Scalpers may charge you 2 grand for a discontinued/used Oppo these days.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony UBP-X800M2 can handle DVD-AUDIO as well as SACD and will not break the bank.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
The Sony UBP-X800M2 can handle DVD-AUDIO as well as SACD and will not break the bank.
The Sony does not output "Native DSD", converts to PCM....big no no for DSD/SACD purists.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony does not output "Native DSD", converts to PCM....big no no for DSD/SACD purists.
You are mistaken. The original UBP-X800 and the replacement M2 can indeed pass DSD and can convert it if necessary. I enjoy SACDs in DSD with my UBP-X800.
750A36B9-2B34-4B11-967D-7F292082D15B.jpeg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree. However, it won't play a DVD-A which you would have burnt for instance out of a downloaded FLAC file, but the OPPO will handle it. It happened to me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. However, it won't play a DVD-A which you would have burnt for instance out of a downloaded FLAC file, but the OPPO will handle it. It happened to me.
Thank you for the information. I’ve not tried playing files but only discs on my player.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You are mistaken. The original UBP-X800 and the replacement M2 can indeed pass DSD and can convert it if necessary. I enjoy SACDs in DSD with my UBP-X800.
View attachment 44110
Ah, says it right there on the manual... I stand corrected. There were dudes whining on another forum that they could not get the native DSD out from this player sometime ago. That's a very affordable price too in case my Yammy decided to break down someday. Thanks...

Did you get a chance to test this with a multichannel SACD as well? (for native 5.1 output, not just 2.0).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, two channel and multi channel discs play as they should and the CD layer is selectable for playback as well on such discs. I decided on the Sony when I upgraded from my aging Oppo BDP-83 as the price was very attractive for a player with those capabilities. I chipped the Oppo and it stayed around to play the occasional other region disc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, says it right there on the manual... I stand corrected. There were dudes whining on another forum that they could not get the native DSD out from this player sometime ago. That's a very affordable price too in case my Yammy decided to break down someday. Thanks...

Did you get a chance to test this with a multichannel SACD as well? (for native 5.1 output, not just 2.0).
I have older Sony blurays that handle dsd multich output just fine, and likely as does the player mentioned.

When Trell mentioned the Denon couldn't handle the DSD stream I assumed he was talking about the avr, not the player. The avr needs lpcm rather than dsd...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure about newer models, but one of my Denons, the 891, could not handle raw DSD and would force the PCM conversion if the player was first set to output DSD. Unfortunately, others are correct concerning the DVD-1920. SACD multi channel playback requires 5.1 analog output connections.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure about newer models, but one of my Denons, the 891, could not handle raw DSD and would force the PCM conversion if the player was first set to output DSD. Unfortunately, others are correct concerning the DVD-1920. SACD multi channel playback requires 5.1 analog output connections.
Unless you convert the DSD to PCM in the player and export it over hdmi the way I read it.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It kinda' sucks actually if one has that player and later updated to a receiver without 7.1 EXT. IN and didn't realize they would lose DSD through HDMI only connection.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis