D

Dave c

Audiophyte
Any suggestions on what audio formats I should look for in a DVD player. I some don't play DVD-A and the ones that do don't seem to play DTS etc. So I'm confused. Is one format easier to find disc's for than another and what are the pro's and con's.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Dave C.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Right now, your best value is to get one of the "universal" players.

Good budget units include the Pioneer 578A and Samsung HD-841 (a steal now for around $ 99 on-line as Samsung, for some reason, "upgrades" to the less versatile HD-850).

The next step up is the Samsung HD-941 (I have one... it's incredible) and the Yamaha C-750. These run $ 250 to $ 300

Any of these units will give you CD, DVD, DVD-audio, and SACD as well DTS and Dolby Digital capability..

Sony units will not give you DVD-audio capability. The Samsung units give you DVI (841) and HDMI (941) outputs and include the cables.

With Blue Ray/HD-DVD in the not-to-distant future, these are the best values for now. :)

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
A universal player is your best bet as Leprkon said. I have a Denon 2200 & it's played eveything I've thrown at it so far.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
DVD Audio and SACD are music only formats. DVD Audio is not what comes out when you play any DVD, you have to buy DVD audio cd's and you have to connect your player in a different way to take advantage of both DVD Audio and SACD. Unless you have a receiver that lets you utilize this feature then don't worry about it at all for now. If you aren't looking for this, you won't miss it.

Now that I've started confusing you I'm going to make things tougher. Most modern (within 4 or 5 years) DVD players will play Dolby digital and DTS encoded soundtracks found on today'sDVD's. Those are the two formats that are by far the most common to come accross when watching movies. Almost every new release is in Dolby digital 5.1. Not too many movies are using DTS right now. If you see a movie that has DTS on it the odds are that it has Dolby Digital on it too (actually the odds are close to 100%). If you see a movie that says Dolby Digital, but doesn't say DTS don't worry about about it. It just means you can't watch the movie in DTS and you can still watch it in Dolby Digital. Not all Dolby digital soundtracks are 5.1, some are only stereo.

Leprkon gave you some really good places to start looking. Those DVD players are all highly regarded and range from $100 up. Personally I'd suggest the 841 that he mentions. It is 100% up to date with every input and output used on the vast majority of home theater stuff today.

If you need more info just give a breakdown of what you currently are using for a TV and speakers or whatever.

Hope we're helping a little. We mean well. :D

D

Dave c

Audiophyte
Break down

I have an Onkyo TX SR702 receiver with Polk Audio RM7200 speakers and a Sony KDF55WF655 LCD TV.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I'm running the Samsung HD-941 via HDMI into a Sony KDF42WE655. It's a pretty awesome combination for picture quality.

Your "WF" model will probably be even better. :)

D

Dave c

Audiophyte
DVI Input

The TV only has one DVI input but the HD Cable box has a DVI output and so does the DVD player. So how do you decide which one to run through the DVI input on the TV, or is there another option. I"m real happy with the HD running through the composite jacks now.
PS: I bought the Samsung HD-841 today and it sounds great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis