Duped by BOSE? Like everyone else, new to this..

• Thread starter Joyous_Audiophile
  • Start date
J

Joyous_Audiophile

Audiophyte
So "hears" the deal (out the gate with the puns), I am new to this whole audiophile community and I like where I am. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I need some assistance.

Me and the girls love to do our PS4 video gaming and everyone always comes to my place. But we are also into movie soundtracks and action films.. so I'm looking to build a mini home theater that will compliment or give me all the sound these genres offer.

I would like to say that my budget is around 1500.

I went to the local store for some help, and felt like the guy couldn't be trusted.. He really pushed for BOSE. Can I get more "bang" for my buck? (I did it again.. hahaha) I also feel as if wired sets will give me more quality than wireless ones.

SO..

Here's the perspective set up:

Receiver: Sony STRDN1060 7.2 Channel Hi-Res Wifi Network AV Receiver

Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 6 Series V Home Theater Speaker System

Center piece (I think): Bose Solo 5 TV Sound System

***Already owned***

TV: Sony brivia 60in

blu-ray: Sony (2009)

Game console: PS4/XBOX1

Subwoofer: Cerwin Vega 12 inch my brother gave me for my car.. but might have a better place in the house.. haha

Any help would be wonderful, I like to try and stay uniform with systems.. might be physiological but I think tech works better that way. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First things first, I would steer clear of Bose. Get some real bookshelf speakers and a real subwoofer. Whatever store you went to, the salesperson was either uninformed or a liar and was pushing the Bose system because of that sweet sweet markup.

The Sony receiver is a bit meh. I would be looking at Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, and Marantz for receivers.

In that budget, I would be looking at some of the speakers from this round up. For subwoofers, I would be looking at the Hsu VTF2 mk4, EMP I-12, or Rythmik LV12r.

J

Joyous_Audiophile

Audiophyte
Easy enough. Thanks for the literature.

I few questions:
I want more dBs in my woofer, correct?
Yamaha and Polk would be my next choice.. but it didn't feel like love..what do you think?
How many of the bookshelf speakers do I need?

Mkay, so lets try again:

Receiver:Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay or
Denon AVR-X1100W 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

Speakers: BIC America: FH-65b 2x
Subwoofer: I-12 Powered Subwoofer (350 Watt Amplifier)

Again, thanks :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Want a few more dBs in the woofer? Do you mean you want the subwoofer to be a bot louder? You can set it that way in the receiver menu. I would steer clear of polk until you get to their RTi or Lsi lines.

Your outlined system looks fine. Guests will enjoy movie night at your house. You will want a center speaker. The best speaker for a center speaker that you can use in that system is simply another FH-65. If you don't have room for a vertical bookshelf speaker, only then would I get the FH6 LCR as center. Remember to keep the center speaker from the same line as your left and right fronts, and it should preferably be the same exact model speaker.

J

Joyous_Audiophile

Audiophyte
Remember to keep the center speaker from the same line as your left and right fronts, and it should preferably be the same exact model speaker.
This means... below?.. the bookshelf speakers?

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I mean if you buy, for example, Polk bookshelf speakers, make you sure get the similar polk center speaker, or whatever brand speaker you choose. It is important for the speakers to match, at least for the front left, right, and center. It is not as important for the surround speakers to match the front stage speakers, and it doesn't make a difference for subwoofers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
J

Joyous_Audiophile

Audiophyte
New questions:
What's the difference in the receiver?
Are floor speakers necessary?
Can the FH-65b be used as rears or are satellite speakers better?

I see, okay so that you know that I'm tracking:

Receiver:?
Front Speakers: FH-65b 2x
Rears: FH-65b 2x
CENTER: FH6-LCR
Floor: ?.. (but.. PL-980R)

Subwoofer: I-12 Powered Subwoofer (350 Watt Amplifier)

Thanks for your imputs :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Floor speakers are definitely not necessary with a good subwoofer like that. I would stick with bookshlef speakers. The receivers from the brands I recommended should all be solid for the price. You should get the one that has the feature set that appeals most to you. You can't go wrong with any of them really. The FH-65b can be used as rears easily. Here are the speaker mounts you will want to use with those.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
So "hears" the deal (out the gate with the puns), I am new to this whole audiophile community and I like where I am. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I need some assistance.

Me and the girls love to do our PS4 video gaming and everyone always comes to my place. But we are also into movie soundtracks and action films.. so I'm looking to build a mini home theater that will compliment or give me all the sound these genres offer.

I would like to say that my budget is around 1500.

I went to the local store for some help, and felt like the guy couldn't be trusted.. He really pushed for BOSE. Can I get more "bang" for my buck? (I did it again.. hahaha) I also feel as if wired sets will give me more quality than wireless ones.

SO..

Here's the perspective set up:

Receiver: Sony STRDN1060 7.2 Channel Hi-Res Wifi Network AV Receiver

Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 6 Series V Home Theater Speaker System

Center piece (I think): Bose Solo 5 TV Sound System

***Already owned***

TV: Sony brivia 60in

blu-ray: Sony (2009)

Game console: PS4/XBOX1

Subwoofer: Cerwin Vega 12 inch my brother gave me for my car.. but might have a better place in the house.. haha

Any help would be wonderful, I like to try and stay uniform with systems.. might be physiological but I think tech works better that way. :)

Some time, I posted a series here on Audioholics, which takes a semi-humorous, full-serious approach to helping folks in your situation. (wants to upgrade your audio, have had Bose pushed hard by salesmen or family). Here's the link to that. For the most part, I think all the speaker options I suggested are still available, and most of the components have been updated with newer versions. Check it out here http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bose-killers-for-every-budget-–-a-series.89239/

If you have any questions about anything, please let me know.

Have fun!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis