adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I started to watch it the other day on HBO/Max and the audio is low in level, really had to turn it up.
Agree. Audio is sub par on Max. I will have to buy the disc's to really hear what this movie has to offer.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agree. Audio is sub par on Max. I will have to buy the disc's to really hear what this movie has to offer.
I noticed that also. I watched about half of it today with the volume way up then switched to golf. Ill finish watching tomorrow.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have it saved in the MAX app. I plan to watch the first one again and then Part 2. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Audio is definitely not sub par on the disc. It may be that they had to normalize it for streaming so the level comes out lower.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Audio is definitely not sub par on the disc. It may be that they had to normalize it for streaming so the level comes out lower.
Watching on Max app streaming, I adjusted up the volume by 5db. It was okay. I have to do that on some App site movies...Hulu, Disney+, Prime, Netflix. Some movies have had to adjust down by 4 or so db's.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Watching on Max app streaming, I adjusted up the volume by 5db. It was okay. I have to do that on some App site movies...Hulu, Disney+, Prime, Netflix. Some movies have had to adjust down by 4 or so db's.
I find it closer to 10dB....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm only 7 feet from the mains. But yes, I could go 10dB, but too loud. Mains are 5.5 feet apart, with tweeters aimed at ear level, toed inward.
Just that for my typical listening level for a typical movie I needed to move the master volume up by about 10dB (and have for some other streaming movies as well, and its getting more frequent). Shouldn't particularly matter the distance as long as it was calibrated for your particular seat location, but my distance is twice yours.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Finished watching it and I liked it more than part one and both better than the 1980s version.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Agreed.

I've watched it twice now.

First on the 4k JVC projector with 7.2(.5).4
Then on the QD-OLED with 4.1

Both were thunderously immersive.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I thought it was okay and to slow in numerous parts. I' will look forward to Part 3 in a couple years+.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I still haven't watched it even after having both the digital and 4K Bluray for awhile.
As a Dune fanatic since the 70's, I know some of the things Denis Villanumm-nutz has done to the script/the book are going to seriously piss me off.
Have to wait for a day when outrage can be kept to a minimum. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed.

I've watched it twice now.

First on the 4k JVC projector with 7.2(.5).4
Then on the QD-OLED with 4.1

Both were thunderously immersive.
I had to reduce the master volume on my AVP by 3dB when watching the Dune-2 UHD Disc. Bass was awesome. Regular surround sound was immersive.

But essentially no ATMOS sound from the in-ceiling speakers. I triple checked to make sure the LCD said “Atmos”. Also watched some awesome ATMOS scenes in “Civil War” to make sure.

So Dune-2 has what I call “FAKEMOS” - it says “Atmos” on the AVP’s LCD, but no overhead sound from the in-ceiling speakers.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I had to reduce the master volume on my AVP by 3dB when watching the Dune-2 UHD Disc. Bass was awesome. Regular surround sound was immersive.

But essentially no ATMOS sound from the in-ceiling speakers. I triple checked to make sure the LCD said “Atmos”. Also watched some awesome ATMOS scenes in “Civil War” to make sure.

So Dune-2 has what I call “FAKEMOS” - it says “Atmos” on the AVP’s LCD, but no overhead sound from the in-ceiling speakers.
Dolby Vision? Going check to make sure. Yep 4K Blu-ray is Dolby Vision but no IMAX. Just ordered it.

D

dolynick

Audioholic

The criticism of the lack of height channels might be fair. I only had heights for my first watching and I didn't notice a lot of overhead effects either - although I was also pretty well engrossed in the movie itself so I wasn't prepared to make a judgement on it from that alone. I' was thinking I would have to sit down and specifically test some portions of the movie before I could say conclusively. Your experience seems similar to mine though, so first impressions might not have been too far off.

I don't think I'd call it "fakemos" though. Positional audio isn't just about overhead stuff. It does seem like a missed opportunity given the aerial elements in the movie though. It's a slight disappointment in an otherwise pretty impressive audio track.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you listen closely, most of the Atmos I heard was environmental and spatial, to give you the sense of "there". There was not as much directional and movement activity up there I noticed, but we are planning to watch it again this weekend since she didn't watch it with me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Positional audio isn't just about overhead stuff.
If you listen closely, most of the Atmos I heard was environmental and spatial, to give you the sense of "there". There was not as much directional and movement activity up there I noticed, but we are planning to watch it again this weekend since she didn't watch it with me.
A lot of great TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD MA 7.1 non-ATMOS movies give us the same thing - immersive/enveloping you-are-there atmospheric surround sound. They can put dialogue and sound discretely in all 5 speakers (in 5.1).

So if aircrafts fly or hover directly above you and they don't make any sound from your overhead speakers, then I can't say that's "ATMOS". I can say it's an awesome TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack.

In contrast, in "Civil War" you can hear aircrafts from your overhead speakers very prominently pan from Front to Back, Left to Right, etc.

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
A lot of great TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD MA 7.1 non-ATMOS movies give us the same thing - immersive/enveloping you-are-there atmospheric surround sound. They can put dialogue and sound discretely in all 5 speakers (in 5.1).
The processing involved to achieve that effect is significantly different. I get that the previous generation tech does a similar good job at the bed level, but positional audio re-creating it just as well or better is also definitely a case of Atmos "working". It's like saying OLED is fake because plasma TVs can still look great with 1080p too if you have one.

Still, it's a fair point that they didn't use the mix for more overt overhead effects when there was content that seemed quite fitting for it. Someone in the mixing booth surely had their reasons, but we could only guess at them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis