lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Something I completely missed while watching the film. From the first to the second one, Thufir is totally missing from the second film. Apparently there were scenes with him and they were cut. Guess they were trying to avoid hitting 3hrs.
I gotta re-read the book I think....I just assumed he was executed as part of the Harkonnen's return.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't seen it yet...as a lifelong Dune fanatic, I'm not at all happy with some of the things I've heard that Denis V has done with the story.
Part 1 was OK....a bit sterile in delivery, and barebones when it came to exposition. Of course, as a film...it kicked ass.
Would have prefered another director and writer to redo Dune.

David Lynch and the miniseries told the story much better.
I have a few points I disagree with, but let's start with what I do agree with:
Both Dune Miniseries were awesome, especially in making them true to books and easy to understand. CGI, due to the low budget, wasn't top-notch.

First, about the 1984 movie by Lynch - I agree it was an extremely ambitious project and has done many of Dune's visuals true to books (well, except for the ornithopters, these were really bad in the 1984 movie)
1711054624886.png
While I said Lynch's movie was an extremely ambitious project, it was far from perfect, to say mildly, even for Dune hardcore fans. It is way too obscure for casual movie-goers, and as a result, it did terribly fiscally.

What Villeneuve did (at least part one, which I saw) is make the Dune movie less complex, visually awesome, and easily approachable by casual crowds. I'm sure that the vast majority of 2021 movie viewers were not aware of the deep and rich Dune history, lore, books, etc... I'm also sure that at least of of these first-time goers bitten by the Dune bug, so to speak, and went searching for more while waiting for 2024's Part II movie.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I have a few points I disagree with, but let's start with what I do agree with:
Both Dune Miniseries were awesome, especially in making them true to books and easy to understand. CGI, due to the low budget, wasn't top-notch.

First, about the 1984 movie by Lynch - I agree it was an extremely ambitious project and has done many of Dune's visuals true to books (well, except for the ornithopters, these were really bad in the 1984 movie)
View attachment 66583
While I said Lynch's movie was an extremely ambitious project, it was far from perfect, to say mildly, even for Dune hardcore fans. It is way too obscure for casual movie-goers, and as a result, it did terribly fiscally.

What Villeneuve did (at least part one, which I saw) is make the Dune movie less complex, visually awesome, and easily approachable by casual crowds. I'm sure that the vast majority of 2021 movie viewers were not aware of the deep and rich Dune history, lore, books, etc... I'm also sure that at least of of these first-time goers bitten by the Dune bug, so to speak, and went searching for more while waiting for 2024's Part II movie.
Villeneuve didn't have either of his Dune films taken from him and have them cut by 50 minutes....Lynch's original version and the version we got were two very different films. (Lynch didn't make it rain in the end..the studio did)

Somehow Villeneuve had more time than the miniseries between boths films and told far less of the story.
Dune isn't for the casual crowds. They have Star Wars if they crave mindless drivel.
For someone that claims to love Dune, Villeneuve made some very bad decisions. No Alia ? Get the hell out of town, Denis !! (fetal Alia doesn't count...this means Paul reclaimed Arrakis and become Emperor in seven months...ridiculous)

Anyhow, this is the closest to what Lynch's Dune should have been had he kept final cut.

Matt34

Matt34

Just got back from date night, this was one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. 9.5/10

The movie theater we watched it at left something to be desired. Least of which was a blown right rear surround speaker that was pretty distracting.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The choice not to have Alia really present in this film is an interesting one too; not sure why that is or what it means.
Well it can only mean one thing ; The Children of Dune which is next inline in Herberts 6 novels.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well it can only mean one thing ; The Children of Dune which is next inline in Herberts 6 novels.
Children of Dune is for sure coming at some point. I wonder if it will be in films or series. Dennis has said the next Dune film will be a while out too.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Children of Dune is for sure coming at some point. I wonder if it will be in films or series. Dennis has said the next Dune film will be a while out too.
Don't see Children happening and hope Denis V is done with Dune.
Children and Messiah have been done and done quite well....John Harrison is a far better writer than Denis V.

Since Denis V is strongly against exposition and background, his version of Messiah would last about 14 minutes.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I recall hearing that there were only 3 movies intended. Definitely not the whole of the Dune series. At the same time, I also recall hearing that maybe #3 wouldn't happen. *shrugs

I'd like to see one more, though. It was good to see some maturing in the portrayal of Paul in 2. It's been a very long time since I read Dune, and I honestly don't recall if I ever read Children. Nonetheless, there seems like there would be something worth developing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis confirmed Dune 3, which presumably is Messiah, will happen, but he will shoot something else before coming back to Dune. Children likely won't be Dennis.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Man, I went back and re read Dune a few years ago but I have no desire to revisit the rest of the series. I don't even remember how many Dune books that I read. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis