j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We saw it in IMAX in the early fan showing last night. Be prepared, with the trailers, it is a solid 3hrs. This one deserves to be seen in the theater IMO. It looks and sounds amazing. The rumble of the machines and the worms; the Atmos was impressive and we selected seats a little further back to enjoy that. I will be buying this 4k disc when it comes out for sure. Villeneuve pretty well sets the standard for how sci-fi epics should be done now IMO. He seems to learn from each additional film how to improve the next and has the ability to hold back; not to overdo the story.

The pacing is good. The story comes across very well, though compared to the first one, the story feels like a middle story; as of course, it is. Not unlike how I felt watching The Empire Strikes Back or reading The Two Towers. Well defined story that is not fully self contained - you need the first part to understand this one, but it is also very clear the story doesn't end here. A few of the performances were maybe a little flat, but overall the cast is excellent. They introduced one element where we were both going "What the....?" and I am not sure why they did that. Though it does not disrupt the story, I will leave that for you to discover and we can discuss that and other details after others have seen it. I liked that they fleshed out Feyd a bit here, so that he doesn't just show up at the end for a fight. The choice not to have Alia really present in this film is an interesting one too; not sure why that is or what it means. The resolutions of some of the storylines are pretty satisfying and the scale of it, the action and pacing ,especially with the entire film in IMAX, makes for a very enjoyable movie.

Oh yeah, we also picked up the laughable popcorn bucket just because it is so ridiculous. !! People are currently selling for $50 on ebay lmfao. I got it with no popcorn, just wanted the bucket. It is one of those products where they just didn't really think "Does this look weird at all?"

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
We’re going to watch it on 02 March. Nearest IMAX is a little far and same for Dolby Cinema so we are watching it in a regular auditorium. If it was just my wife and I we’d hit one of the premium format theaters but we're going with a group of friends. I’m sure it’ll still be awesome :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Cinema was already sold out so we saw it in IMAX at the same theater. We saw the 7pm show and it was not 100% full. We planned it that way so we could eat dinner first in the area then hit the theater.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Me in '78....as you can see, Im somewhat of a Dune expert.
The Alia situation has me very concerned....she has to be there and has to be born, and about 3 years old during the final showdown.
Just has to be that way.

579540_3960800949256_1658140820_n.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Apparently there is supposed to be a series about the Bene Geserit, which may be why Alia is not featured. If that series does not take place though, then we have a bit of a gap. Her influence is there, but they handled it in an odd way I guess. It is a strange choice, and she is referenced for presumably the next film or that series.

Another thing strangely missing from both films is The Spacing Guild, since the spice has everything to do with them.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently there is supposed to be a series about the Bene Geserit, which may be why Alia is not featured. If that series does not take place though, then we have a bit of a gap. Her influence is there, but they handled it in an odd way I guess. It is a strange choice, and she is referenced for presumably the next film or that series.
Originally called Dune: The Sisterhood, later renamed to Dune: The Prophecy - should be dropped in Fall 2024 on Max

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Me in '78....as you can see, Im somewhat of a Dune expert.
The Alia situation has me very concerned....she has to be there and has to be born, and about 3 years old during the final showdown.
Just has to be that way.

View attachment 66106
Agreed I read the Dune trilogy in the early 80s and Alia has to part of the movies for any credibility. BTW I'm originally from the Burg South Hills now live in NE Fla. Here we go Steelers... :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

Another thing strangely missing from both films is The Spacing Guild, since the spice has everything to do with them.
The Guild HAS to be in Dune Messiah, so maybe DV will get into depth then concerning them....he better.
For all the hate of Dune 84, David Lynch did one hell of a job explaining all aspects of the makeup of the Dune universe.
It's almost like DV purposely did not explain or lay out...much of anything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just trying to settle on a date to see it in town with my sister including a nice restaurant visit, but it'll be soon!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
probably going to be many years before the Steelers go anywhere besides back to the locker room in disgrace. :)
No need to be so harsh. I'm sure the Steelers will prevail by the Dune time frame (about 20k years in the future).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw it this afternoon in one of our "Imax" theaters in a mall. I thought the sound was a bit more reasonable level than last time, but my sister and her roommate said not as far as they're concerned, but I did use my spl meter on the phone a few times and was getting peaks in high 90s altho I may not have used it on the loudest parts. I just had less of an audio cringe altho during the commercials up front the audio was on the more painful side, not so much on the previews of films, tho.

They (sis and roommate) also pointed out as the credits rolled that everything was a bit fuzzy and while the credits could have been sharper, I wonder if that's a deliberate effect (spice in the air?)....what do you guys remember about picture resolution/sharpness? I wouldn't be surprised with the theater's setup being off....and their sound system after several movies over the last few years I'd have to describe as generally strained if not flat out too loud.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
They (sis and roommate) also pointed out as the credits rolled that everything was a bit fuzzy and while the credits could have been sharper, I wonder if that's a deliberate effect (spice in the air?)....what do you guys remember about picture resolution/sharpness? I wouldn't be surprised with the theater's setup being off....and their sound system after several movies over the last few years I'd have to describe as generally strained if not flat out too loud.

I can't comment on this movie. But I have noticed some movies I've seen in IMAX theaters being slightly out of focus. It's happened enough the only Imax movies I go see are at the museum. Could it be they're not truly Imax movies, 70mm, and don't have enough resolution or they just can't focus properly on the curved screen?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't comment on this movie. But I have noticed some movies I've seen in IMAX theaters being slightly out of focus. It's happened enough the only Imax movies I go see are at the museum. Could it be they're not truly Imax movies, 70mm, and don't have enough resolution or they just can't focus properly on the curved screen?
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me its a setup/gear issue. I really didn't notice as much as they did but they watch a newer hd 4k tv in vivid mode so not sure how much is just not having that....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Something I completely missed while watching the film. From the first to the second one, Thufir is totally missing from the second film. Apparently there were scenes with him and they were cut. Guess they were trying to avoid hitting 3hrs.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Something I completely missed while watching the film. From the first to the second one, Thufir is totally missing from the second film. Apparently there were scenes with him and they were cut. Guess they were trying to avoid hitting 3hrs.
I haven't seen it yet...as a lifelong Dune fanatic, I'm not at all happy with some of the things I've heard that Denis V has done with the story.
Part 1 was OK....a bit sterile in delivery, and barebones when it came to exposition. Of course, as a film...it kicked ass.
Would have prefered another director and writer to redo Dune.

David Lynch and the miniseries told the story much better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis