Dual SVS SB12’s or single SVS PB2000 PRO

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe but in his smallish square room....
Yeah, pretty sure bass is mixed mono in almost everything.
Tom noussaine did an excellent study(that I can’t find anymore) that covered “stereo bass”. Not a thing...

B

Baaj

Enthusiast
Hey so I have 2 PB3000 subwoofers, I’ve tried the midwall placement and there’s literally no bass when I do this even on max gain on the sub it self and -6 on avr. I found one pB-3000 to deliver better results when corner loaded. I’ve tried opposite corners too with duals but still nothing. (18x12x8 rectangle room and I sit about in the middle of it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey so I have 2 PB3000 subwoofers, I’ve tried the midwall placement and there’s literally no bass when I do this even on max gain on the sub it self and -6 on avr. I found one pB-3000 to deliver better results when corner loaded. I’ve tried opposite corners too with duals but still nothing. (18x12x8 rectangle room and I sit about in the middle of it)

Not sure there’s a question here?
In any case, the middle of the room is usually a bad place to sit for bass. Iirc a general rule, sitting in locations at thirds or fifths can be better. If you break the length into 1/3’s, try sitting at 12’ from the front wall, if for nothing other than an experiment. You might be surprised.

Also, corner loading can be beneficial as it excites all room modes at once. This is easier to deal with via EQ than having mills which you can’t boost. As always though, experimentation and the sub crawl are good starts.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ah yes! I think SVS overshot the entry level with the NSD’s just a bit.
I’m waiting to see some data on the PRO series. Some say the driver is a downgrade but I don’t think so.
We will have some data on a SVS PRO subwoofer before too long... stay tuned to Audioholics for more!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

I've become a big fan of looking at Subwoofer placement according to Geddes. In my room, Corner loading doesn't work, for example. I also am not a fan of symmetry in setting up my system, so 1/4-wall, 1/2 wall, and other such placements fall flat in my book.

I did the Subwoofer Crawl to identify the best Acoustic places in my room for the Subwoofers to thrive. Though I have yet to go through the process of measuring them with REW or OmniMic, my Audyssey response came back pretty d@mn good.

I think the Common approach to Sub placement has become dogmatic. I'm not saying it won't work, but as every room is different, a single approach to rule them all is bound to be flawed.

Cheers!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've become a big fan of looking at Subwoofer placement according to Geddes. In my room, Corner loading doesn't work, for example. I also am not a fan of symmetry in setting up my system, so 1/4-wall, 1/2 wall, and other such placements fall flat in my book.

I did the Subwoofer Crawl to identify the best Acoustic places in my room for the Subwoofers to thrive. Though I have yet to go through the process of measuring them with REW or OmniMic, my Audyssey response came back pretty d@mn good.

I think the Common approach to Sub placement has become dogmatic. I'm not saying it won't work, but as every room is different, a single approach to rule them all is bound to be flawed.

Cheers!
This is a good point. There is a lot of dogma in av. And that can go towards any setup routine. Geddes, Toole audyssey etc...
The point about the room is most relevant. Ryan’s (your) room is suspended wood over wooden floor joists, and iirc, a little narrow. My room otoh is larger. It’s also on concrete and opens to a kitchen and foyer and hallway etc. Corner loading for me works very well since I have some long dimensions, and concrete eats bass alive. Plus I only have 12” subs(albeit 3 good ones). Conversely I’ve experienced suspended rooms that could be pressurized with a cell phone, and dealing with a resonating floor is almost impossible. So I definitely understand and respect your plight inside that space. In many ways that’s harder to deal with. Room construction is something very often overlooked too, and is soooo important.

B

Baaj

Enthusiast
This is a good point. There is a lot of dogma in av. And that can go towards any setup routine. Geddes, Toole audyssey etc...
The point about the room is most relevant. Ryan’s (your) room is suspended wood over wooden floor joists, and iirc, a little narrow. My room otoh is larger. It’s also on concrete and opens to a kitchen and foyer and hallway etc. Corner loading for me works very well since I have some long dimensions, and concrete eats bass alive. Plus I only have 12” subs(albeit 3 good ones). Conversely I’ve experienced suspended rooms that could be pressurized with a cell phone, and dealing with a resonating floor is almost impossible. So I definitely understand and respect your plight inside that space. In many ways that’s harder to deal with. Room construction is something very often overlooked too, and is soooo important.
Would having isolation feet from svs help with bass being eaten by concrete? My room
Is above my garage.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Would having isolation feet from svs help with bass being eaten by concrete? My room
Is above my garage.

No. He’s talking about your floor actually being concrete. If you are above the garage, your floor is more likely wood frame.
I use isolation feet on a platform which is coupled to the floor to help absorb direct physical energy transferring to the structure. My floors are like trampolines, though; very spongy.
If you want to experiment with isolation, get a good blanket or several towels, fold them up into a ‘platform’ and place your sub on that. See if you hear/feel anything different.

B

Baaj

Enthusiast
No. He’s talking about your floor actually being concrete. If you are above the garage, your floor is more likely wood frame.
I use isolation feet on a platform which is coupled to the floor to help absorb direct physical energy transferring to the structure. My floors are like trampolines, though; very spongy.
If you want to experiment with isolation, get a good blanket or several towels, fold them up into a ‘platform’ and place your sub on that. See if you hear/feel anything different.
Alright, will try thanks b

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis