Dual Subwoofers: close together?

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I’m getting two subwoofers for my new home theater, and am in a dilemma as to where to place them.

I know opposing corners is an optimal placement, and indeed this is possible in my situation. In those two corners, the subwoofer would be uniquely unsightly.

Placing the to either side (outside) of my left and right channel towers is NOT possible.

What is possible is to have them on either side (inside) of towers. So the order is:

left channel -- subwoofer 1 -- center -- subwoofer 2 -- right channel
(Please see attached photo).

The problem is there’s not much room, and everything’s fairly squeezed. Also, the subwoofers would be placed inside a built-in wall cabinet (the front would be covered by a fabric, the sides and top plywood, and the back a wall).

I know this arrange will be far from ideal, but my question is how much of an impact should I expect compared to placing it in the ideal opposing corners setup? Is it a problem having the two subwoofers (1) so closer together and (2) placed into an enclosure?

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I know this arrange will be far from ideal, but my question is how much of an impact should I expect compared to placing it in the ideal opposing corners setup? Is it a problem having the two subwoofers (1) so closer together and (2) placed into an enclosure?
If this is your only option, the questions seem moot.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I would thiink that the room itself will tell you everything you need to know once the subs are placed

X

xcd

Enthusiast
If this is your only option, the questions seem moot.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It's not my only option, but it is the only option that doesn't require persuading with family members. So I wanted to know: how much of an hit to sound quality I'd be taking? Then I can begin to calculate if it's worth the time and effort to do the persuasion

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I would thiink that the room itself will tell you everything you need to know once the subs are placed
The room itself? Do you mean that I'd be able to listen for myself the differences once I've placed the subs in the room?
I'm afraid that isn't possible in my case, because I'm doing some renovations right now, and both the wiring and the model of the subwoofer depends on the placement. So I have to decide before I get to hear them in the room

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Below 200hz, the room plays as an interaction. Placement is extremely important. So let the family now if that want to waste money....

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Yup. A great sub can sound dismal and a lesser sub can sound great depending on placement and room interactions. Hopefully yours will sound good where they need to be.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might download REW (Room EQ Wizard) and play around with the room simulator feature. I'd avoid placing them in other furniture, tho.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I have a similar subs arrangement and it works fine in my room

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I keep mine like that when not in use, or when just ambient listening at lower levels, but when the crowd goes home or the weekend rolls around and I want to listen critically, I move the subs where they sound best. I may add wheels to the cabinets at some point. It's worth moving them for the music marathons I often enjoy on weekends, at least.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, if youre already choosing placement over sq then I don't see a need for an answer, really. You're gonna put them where your family wants you to and that's that. You might get lucky and that truly is the best spot or you might not. Near impossible to tell unless you physically try it.

Try this:
1. Set it up to where you think it sounds best, ignoring aesthetics almost completely, and give a listen. Let it sink in and remember where it sounds strong and where it sounds weak.
2. Now stuff them into the cabinets or cabinet behind the tv or wherever and give another listen. See if you like one better over the other.

If you can't tell the difference then I think you'll have your answer. However, sub placement is 50% or more of the eq'ing you'll do to get it dialed in very nicely. When it comes to eq'ing, positioning absolutely has the highest impact. That impact can be very good, and sometimes it can be very bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IMG_1338-1612x1209.JPG

As you can see, aesthetics take a back seat in my house, but then who here honestly thinks this looks ugly? I think it looks like works of art. Sculptured, if you will...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tell my AE (ascetic engineer) that. SHE doesn’t buy “I’ll change it later dear”.
All I have to say is, it's my living room too and since I was a small child admiring my mother's stereo system, marveling at how much better it sounded than my little red tape player with the big lever on top for switching tracks, I've wanted a nice system. From childhood (I was about 7 when I started having these feelings) I have wanted a truly nice system.
8-track-player-clipart-1.jpg

Bottom line, I tell my AE that SHE had better be able to compromise or I ain't marrying her! The compromise was, I can get my toys and put them where I'd like but it ends there and she gets control of the decor. We do aesthetics around my system. I think it looks great and my wife agrees as long as I keep everything tidy and clean looking (also part of the deal).

Plus she admitted that it sounds awesome when compared to stock tv speakers or even a simple low powered stereo solution.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis