Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This section got a chuckle from me...

As you can see in this measurement graph, the TRW-17 can output more than 95dB SPL from 20Hz down to less than 1Hz. Can humans even hear that low? Thigpen says yes, and he has conducted listening tests to prove it. However, very high SPLs are required because our hearing system is so insensitive to such low frequencies. Does this put listeners at risk for hearing damage? I don't know, and neither does Thigpen <snip>

Ha ha!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This section got a chuckle from me...

As you can see in this measurement graph, the TRW-17 can output more than 95dB SPL from 20Hz down to less than 1Hz. Can humans even hear that low? Thigpen says yes, and he has conducted listening tests to prove it. However, very high SPLs are required because our hearing system is so insensitive to such low frequencies. Does this put listeners at risk for hearing damage? I don't know, and neither does Thigpen <snip>

Ha ha!
So how many would you need for decent subsonic performance? :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like it! But there are no 18 channel processors yet... only 16 channel.
:confused:
:(
:rolleyes:
Nah, it’s just 12 ch and an LFE mono ch split a few times to each sub. Six ceiling is possible on a couple units.

Would be ideal for those dozen DTSES 6.1 discrete titles from early 2000s upmixed with NeuralX. LOL. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So how many would you need for decent subsonic performance? :)
More than you could probably fit in a room... lol. I'm reading the article Bill linked and these bad boys need some space. I think I read another one somewhere where a guy basically turned his basement into a subwoofer box for one of those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t think dr Carter’s preferred designs even need that much space!!!!! Hell, uncertain about the cost, was just getting ready to go back and read the article... but something tells me you would be safe just buying 3ea of the BIG JTRs or double DeepSeas....

... if you want to still have a room that isn’t just a large backwave radiator or whatever.

:oops::oops::oops:

Wait.

Did I just even act like getting three of either of those was...o_O...
Normal?

I need help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More than you could probably fit in a room... lol. I'm reading the article Bill linked and these bad boys need some space. I think I read another one somewhere where a guy basically turned his basement into a subwoofer box for one of those.
Or attic/adjoining room....if not both!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
14large without a professionally assisted buildout!!!
What the flying FiretrUCK!!! If that fan can’t air out the sack on a 90° night, as well as reproduce edge of tomorrow without problem, I don’t need it!
o_O:oops::cool:

I’ll take three of these please.
Bass like Buh-Buh-Buh!!!
:p

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I’d go pb3000 first, then monolith 12, next, I think. But really, I think the differences will be more in aesthetics and whether they have the connecting options you might want.
I can actually get dual sealed SB3000 for about the same as dual ported monolith 12s

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
End of the day, it is your rig and your ducats. I'm not trying to preach ported over sealed, or anything like that. However it seems reasonable to expect that in a room larger than 3000'3, you begin to lose the benefits of cabin gain with sealed subs. At that point the lower frequency output suffers and cannot compete with the performance of a ported sub in any way.
It is known that in order to experience lower frequencies, we actually need higher SPL, and the SPL requirement rises as the frequency drops.
At a certain point, that does become moot. In all likelihood, you probably stop really being sensitive to pitch somewhere in the low 20s; for me it is about 23Hz where I stop hearing a distinct tone at reasonable SPL. But considering that LFE tracks in multi-channel recordings can contain information down to 3Hz, IIRC, it is advantageous to have Subs that can perform reasonably low. If you happen to love Pipe Organ, you may find yourself wanting clean reproduction as low as 16Hz which is the low C from the 32' stop on the grande organs. :)
Hmmm... rabbit hole indeed. :D
So again, this is just something you have to weigh for yourself and goals.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
End of the day, it is your rig and your ducats. I'm not trying to preach ported over sealed, or anything like that. However it seems reasonable to expect that in a room larger than 3000'3, you begin to lose the benefits of cabin gain with sealed subs. At that point the lower frequency output suffers and cannot compete with the performance of a ported sub in any way.
It is known that in order to experience lower frequencies, we actually need higher SPL, and the SPL requirement rises as the frequency drops.
At a certain point, that does become moot. In all likelihood, you probably stop really being sensitive to pitch somewhere in the low 20s; for me it is about 23Hz where I stop hearing a distinct tone at reasonable SPL. But considering that LFE tracks in multi-channel recordings can contain information down to 3Hz, IIRC, it is advantageous to have Subs that can perform reasonably low. If you happen to love Pipe Organ, you may find yourself wanting clean reproduction as low as 16Hz which is the low C from the 32' stop on the grande organs. :)
Hmmm... rabbit hole indeed. :D
So again, this is just something you have to weigh for yourself and goals.
That's a tough one. I think I'd go with the slightly less powerful ported subs. Either that or bite the bullet and get the PB3000s. I'm almost certain I'd feel like something was missing with sealed. You need 4 sealed subs to compete with 2 ported, isn't it?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's a tough one. I think I'd go with the slightly less powerful ported subs. Either that or bite the bullet and get the PB3000s. I'm almost certain I'd feel like something was missing with sealed. You need 4 sealed subs to compete with 2 ported, isn't it?
Yeah it can be as many as 4. I love and use SVS subwoofers, but if budget is the first concern, the monolith 12’s are an easy choice. The Sb’s won’t even come close below 30hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah it can be as many as 4. I love and use SVS subwoofers, but if budget is the first concern, the monolith 12’s are an easy choice. The Sb’s won’t even come close below 30hz.
What kind of difference in importance are we looking at between a PB3000 and the Monolith? I've been lazy and haven't looked... lol.

Ima go check.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis