J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
So, it appears that in Canada I can get SVS subs delivered easier than Monoprice's subs.

I'm deciding between two sealed SVS 2000s or two sealed monolith 12s (sealed mainly after looking at the actual size of these things, and I like the tight quick bass). These seem to be the max I am willing to pay for. The two SVS subs can be had for just about $2,150 ($CDN) incl taxes and shipping, while the two monolith 12s is about $2,900 ($CDN).

Based on some reviews and researching, I think I would prefer the monoliths but I haven't heard either so no real idea there... I think I really like the idea of matching the monolith subs to my Monolith 365t mini towers and 365c center.

Should I stretch for the monoliths? Is it worth it? Or should I save some cash and go with the SVS? I would love the SVS 3000s, but that would be well over $3,000 ($CDN) and outside my comfort level.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like SVS products. The Monolith looks very good also. Honestly I'd probably save a few bucks myself, but I'd go for the PB2000s. Sealed subs having tighter bass is more myth than fact. SVS have made their name on subwoofers and if anyone can do tight bass with a sealed sub it's them.

Do they have all the same returns policies for you guys up there in Canada? If so, order SVS first. If you don't like them then send 'em back and go with Monolith.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I really like SVS products. The Monolith looks very good also. Honestly I'd probably save a few bucks myself, but I'd go for the PB2000s. Sealed subs having tighter bass is more myth than fact. SVS have made their name on subwoofers and if anyone can do tight bass with a sealed sub it's them.

Do they have all the same returns policies for you guys up there in Canada? If so, order SVS first. If you don't like them then send 'em back and go with Monolith.
Yes, I'm learning the sealed vs ported tightness if bass thing is a blanket statement because if a ported sub is done well, it can achieve good quick bass as well.

Ugh... Such a decision based on nothing but graphs, numbers and subjective opinions. I have no way of listening before buying.

No, I don't believe I have the luxury of the return policy... Sone retailers kind of mimic it where after 45 days I can exchange or upgrade with that same retailer. Unfortunately, the monoliths are strictly only available through Monoprice or amazon so no chance to exchange for the monolith.

Hmmmm ... Universal healthcare or better subwoofer availability.... Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe I need to move south.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I'm learning the sealed vs ported tightness if bass thing is a blanket statement because if a ported sub is done well, it can achieve good quick bass as well.

Ugh... Such a decision based on nothing but graphs, numbers and subjective opinions. I have no way of listening before buying.

No, I don't believe I have the luxury of the return policy... Sone retailers kind of mimic it where after 45 days I can exchange or upgrade with that same retailer. Unfortunately, the monoliths are strictly only available through Monoprice or amazon so no chance to exchange for the monolith.

Hmmmm ... Universal healthcare or better subwoofer availability.... Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe I need to move south.
I second the sealed sub/ported sub myth... this is wrong and foolish way of thinking. A well designed and built sub will deliver, ported or sealed. Both monolith and svs seem to be crushing it.

What you didn’t mention is your room size. How big, by volume, is your room? I’d it open to other areas?

Aside from that, ported subs will offer you higher output down low than sealed subs. They will have lower extension as well. Unless you are in a small-ish room, you cannot necessarily bank on cabin gain for supporting sealed subs. (In the right room, 3-4 sealed subs will be quite formidable! But in the wrong room, sad.)

Let us know about your room size!

Also, have you looked at the paradigm defiance subs?

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I second the sealed sub/ported sub myth... this is wrong and foolish way of thinking. A well designed and built sub will deliver, ported or sealed. Both monolith and svs seem to be crushing it.

What you didn’t mention is your room size. How big, by volume, is your room? I’d it open to other areas?

Aside from that, ported subs will offer you higher output down low than sealed subs. They will have lower extension as well. Unless you are in a small-ish room, you cannot necessarily bank on cabin gain for supporting sealed subs. (In the right room, 3-4 sealed subs will be quite formidable! But in the wrong room, sad.)

I did look at the paradigm subs because in Canada. But, and let me know if I'm wrong, I should be aiming for the defiance X series over the V series. The X series is out of my budget. The V series is much more affordable than both the SVS and Monolith.

For room size, we'll see this is one big issue. Right now I have an open living room on main floor, so big. But we are moving in a few months and I will 100% be getting a dedicated room. Don't know the size of it yet obviously but it is a critical criteria in house selection. Our realtor has been told!

Everytime I discuss this at home, I lean towards sealed, but on these forums I start thinking ported... They are just so effing big and heavy!

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic

Hmmm... Just found a place where the SVS 3000 is fairly priced, comparable to the monolith 12s. Does that change things in anyone's opinion if the decision changed to SVS 3000 vs Monolith 12s?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did look at the paradigm subs because in Canada. But, and let me know if I'm wrong, I should be aiming for the defiance X series over the V series. The X series is out of my budget. The V series is much more affordable than both the SVS and Monolith.

For room size, we'll see this is one big issue. Right now I have an open living room on main floor, so big. But we are moving in a few months and I will 100% be getting a dedicated room. Don't know the size of it yet obviously but it is a critical criteria in house selection. Our realtor has been told!

Everytime I discuss this at home, I lean towards sealed, but on these forums I start thinking ported... They are just so effing big and heavy!
There’s a good reason for the size and weight. I’m not gonna tell you to learn about speaker design and acoustics... but it would help. :p
Seriously, I am 95%music and use ported subs in extended mode. I’m a trained musician. I’m content!!! I do fantasize about building a transmission line sub or three... but that’s a whole nother story! ;)

Dude, if I were you, and you know you are moving for real-sies... I would wait to invest in the subs. I don’t say that lightly, but buying something too undersized or underpowered now will lead to significant dissatisfaction and disappointment, perhaps so much so that you won’t be able to give them a fair shake later.

That said, I have 2 subs each rated for a 5000’3 room... in a 2000’3 room.

They are glorious.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

If you have to buy now, rest assured that bigger subs are fine in a small room. You might want space as a priority, and I understand. I have four very large boxes taking up space in my room, but the sound makes it all worthwhile. And if I get to move them into the 8000’3 room they were meant to be in, it will still be glorious. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm... Just found a place where the SVS 3000 is fairly priced, comparable to the monolith 12s. Does that change things in anyone's opinion if the decision changed to SVS 3000 vs Monolith 12s?
Ported or sealed? I think I would take the pb3000 over mono 12... but mono 12 ported over sb3000.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
There’s a good reason for the size and weight. I’m not gonna tell you to learn about speaker design and acoustics... but it would help. :p
Seriously, I am 95%music and use ported subs in extended mode. I’m a trained musician. I’m content!!! I do fantasize about building a transmission line sub or three... but that’s a whole nother story! ;)

Dude, if I were you, and you know you are moving for real-sies... I would wait to invest in the subs. I don’t say that lightly, but buying something too undersized or underpowered now will lead to significant dissatisfaction and disappointment, perhaps so much so that you won’t be able to give them a fair shake later.

That said, I have 2 subs each rated for a 5000’3 room... in a 2000’3 room.

They are glorious.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

If you have to buy now, rest assured that bigger subs are fine in a small room. You might want space as a priority, and I understand. I have four very large boxes taking up space in my room, but the sound makes it all worthwhile. And if I get to move them into the 8000’3 room they were meant to be in, it will still be glorious. :)
I have thought about waiting.... But... See there is a new Tool album that I really feel like sharing with my neighbors.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I have thought about waiting.... But... See there is a new Tool album that I really feel like sharing with my neighbors.
Ok. I have had enough feedback on this. I think I'm leaning towards ported again... Screw it. Unashamed, loud and proud, damn the floor plan!

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Ok. I have had enough feedback on this. I think I'm leaning towards ported again... Screw it. Unashamed, loud and proud, damn the floor plan!
I think I should be safe with dual monolith 12s. If my room is too large I guess I'll just need to get another one. Then all my speakers can be THX ultra certified and from monoprice...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

I wouldn't worry about a listening test all that much, especially a poorly setup one that most stores offer. Plus it's a sub, not a whole lot to "listen" to on it's own, the sub if reasonably accurate and well integrated into your system/room, one of these won't be all that distinguishable from the others within their capabilities....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
buying something too undersized or underpowered now will lead to significant dissatisfaction and disappointment, perhaps so much so that you won’t be able to give them a fair shake later.
Ryan makes an excellent point here. I made that mistake and ended up going through 3 different sets of subwoofers before I got the 'wow' factor. Going undersized can actually be costlier in the long run.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The new Tool album sounds glorious with my 2 big ported subs providing the low end. That's right... GLORIOUS! :p

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Ryan makes an excellent point here. I made that mistake and ended up going through 3 different sets of subwoofers before I got the 'wow' factor. Going undersized can actually be costlier in the long run.
Ok, so I'm estimating based on the houses we are looking at that my room should not be more than 3,500 cubic feet. Probably less, but I think I should aim for a combo that can achieve good response in a rectangular 3,500 cubic foot room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, so I'm estimating based on the houses we are looking at that my room should not be more than 3,500 cubic feet. Probably less, but I think I should aim for a combo that can achieve good response in a rectangular 3,500 cubic foot room.
You're probably pretty good with a good pair of 12s. Are you able to get a good deal on a pair of PB3000s? Of the couple subs mentioned here I'd want those. After that probably Monolith, but saving a little on 2000s is relevant too. Decisions decisions... the good news is you picked good subwoofers so no matter what you're not gonna end up with a turd.

SVS offer a great trial period and return policy. If you like them keep them. If not, send 'em back on their dime and order the Monoliths. No risk.

*Edit: I think you should go ported too. The only reason I can see for going sealed is if you have really strict size restraints and literally no room for bigger boxes.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’d go pb3000 first, then monolith 12, next, I think. But really, I think the differences will be more in aesthetics and whether they have the connecting options you might want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis