John Shaver

John Shaver

Audiophyte
Just purchased a second Paradigm DSP 3100 sub for my system. Everything I read said 2 subs are better than one. Having trouble finding the best location. Paradigm recommends opposite front and back corners of the room. Right now I have them both along the front. I have no space along the side walls either. The room is only 14' x 10' ideas?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just purchased a second Paradigm DSP 3100 sub for my system. Everything I read said 2 subs are better than one. Having trouble finding the best location. Paradigm recommends opposite front and back corners of the room. Right now I have them both along the front. I have no space along the side walls either. The room is only 14' x 10' ideas?
Depends on the room, but I think you just move them around until you think you got good balance....the front wall, back wall (especially if you can do near field) can be great.

H

HifiSystems1

Enthusiast
Does your sub have onboard phase and crossover adjustments? I ask because at any position in your room, it is possible for your sub to work with (constructively) or against (destructively) your main speakers, and result in bass cancellation or smearing.
That's why I like the Legacy Audio subs, they let you adjust them in any position easily. I recommend playing a track with solid kick drum and sweeping phase, looking for the most solid low end. Two subs gives you an extra control point in the room and splits the load- both very good things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OP you could also download REW (RoomEQ Wizard) and play with the room mode/sub position feature (called Room Sim on the toolbar).

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I agree with @HifiSystems1 . I recently went dual for the first time and at first they sounded awful! Through trial and error I realized that if I set one sub to 180 degrees they worked together VERY good and pounded the room. Now in my case, there is a possibility that one of my subs is internally wired backwards and that may be why I saw a difference. My 2nd sub was an open box buy and the driver had obviously been replaced at some point. SVS gave me a 3 year warranty on it so I'm not worried about. I could open the box to verifiy but those drivers are freakin heavy and dont wanna mess with it.

So worth a try anyways.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis