Dual subs recommendation and configuration

B

bstan

Audioholic Intern
Need some input. I've been piecing a system together bit-by-bit. Current HT setup is dual sub with one B&W600 (150W) and recently added Canton Chrono AS 525 SC (100W). They are somewhat well-matched for power and frequency response (to ~25Hz), and I'm generally happy with the results.

I have an opportunity to purchase an SVS PB1000 and/or a RLS MKII with wireless adapter, both used, at a steep discount. I can replace one or both of my existing subs.

Question #1: Keep existing setup? Replace one, or both, of my existing subs?

Question #2: My room is 25 feet front-to-back, with the listening position about 10ft from the front. Would it make sense to place the RSL (wireless) hidden in the corner at the back of the room and have the other speaker in the opposite front corner? The room is large 25x17x8 and open to the kitchen and a hallway.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many will argue that your subwoofers is likely inadequate.
While you do not need to “pressurize” the total open room volume of the space the subwoofers are in… you do need to understand that arbitrary room boundaries don’t matter to Low Frequency Soundwaves and that the total volume of space will have an effect on the performance of the Sub(s).
Also important are your goals. What are you wanting to achieve? How loud do you listen? HT or Music? Any neighbors with shared walls/floor/ceiling?

Latly… and perhaps most important is that the placement of Subs is very individualized to each and every room. What works for one will not necessarily work for another.
For that reason, a very simple and somewhat crude technique exists called the Subwoofer Crawl. It can easily help you find places in your space where the Subs will perform at their acoustic best. Measurement gear like REW and a Umik are very helpful, too, but the Crawl is free… only costing time.

My gut instinct is that you should be looking at bigger Subs. If cost is an issue, start with one and begin saving for s second matching Sub.
As to which Subs to consider?… That really comes back to the question about your goals.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Need some input. I've been piecing a system together bit-by-bit. Current HT setup is dual sub with one B&W600 (150W) and recently added Canton Chrono AS 525 SC (100W). They are somewhat well-matched for power and frequency response (to ~25Hz), and I'm generally happy with the results.

I have an opportunity to purchase an SVS PB1000 and/or a RLS MKII with wireless adapter, both used, at a steep discount. I can replace one or both of my existing subs.

Question #1: Keep existing setup? Replace one, or both, of my existing subs?

Question #2: My room is 25 feet front-to-back, with the listening position about 10ft from the front. Would it make sense to place the RSL (wireless) hidden in the corner at the back of the room and have the other speaker in the opposite front corner? The room is large 25x17x8 and open to the kitchen and a hallway.
Your current subs aren't great, and the subs you are considering buying would be much better. Get rid of your current subs.

As for placement, experiment with different spots to see what sounds best, and just keep the subs in the best sounding placements. You could also get scientific about it and get a measurement mic with software, but that is a bit of a project if you are not after absolutely perfect bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis