Dual Klipsch R-115SW vs SVS SB-16 Ultra

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
I have dual Klipsch R-115SW subwoofers since a couple of years. I know that there are a lot of better subs out there and I got my eyes on the SVS SB-16 ultra. The ported version is not an option since it’s much bigger than the current Klipsches plus the fact that they are in the living room. Since it’s a larger driver than the Klipsch it should give a better sound right? How big is the difference between the two? Also the Klipsch are ported models and the SVS is sealed. Will this be a good upgrade for me? I am looking for better subwoofer performance and better control of the response. The advantage of the SVS is that it can be controlled with an app. Could be very handy when I want to bump up the bass instead of using manual knobs on the Klipsches.

Movie watching and music listening is 50/50. Will this upgrade be worth it? Is one SVS enough or do I still need duals? My living room is 45m2.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB16-Ultra is very powerful for a sealed sub of its size, but it isn't going to outperform two R-115SW subs. Its real advantage is the deep bass extension for a sealed sub. It's one of the few sealed subs that does reasonably well in deep bass. But it still probably doesn't have a headroom advantage over a R-115SW at the port tuning. Whats more is how inefficient it is. It needs a lot more power than most subs to achieve the same SPLs. If I were you I would be looking at dual ported subs. I would be looking dual PB-3000s, dual Paradigm Defiance X15s, dual Hsu VTF-3 mk5s or VTF15h mk2s, Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13s, Monoprice 15" Ultras. Two of any of those will give you an upgrade in headroom, linearity, and extension.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would suggest a pair of PC4000’s. Small footprint, and would outperform the Klipsch in every metric. I think even a pair of PC2K pros would be better. Haven’t been able to compare the measurements, but off hand I’d venture that even two PC2k pros would compete in mid bass, but be much better below about 35hz than the klipsch, and also imo, likely be more linear, equating to better overall sound.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I wish SVS would make the PC versions without a cloth wrap. As much as they are a great space saving option they scream "cat scratching post" everytime I look at them. A few plucks and runs to that fabric and it would look pretty sucky in no time.
Looks better than a painted cardboard sono tube I suppose.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
I would suggest a pair of PC4000’s. Small footprint, and would outperform the Klipsch in every metric. I think even a pair of PC2K pros would be better. Haven’t been able to compare the measurements, but off hand I’d venture that even two PC2k pros would compete in mid bass, but be much better below about 35hz than the klipsch, and also imo, likely be more linear, equating to better overall sound.
Thanks you for the tip. The PC is indeed a ported version, but isn’t that subwoofer downfiring? I just looked at a YouTube review of it and I saw that the speaker cone is at the bottom (13,5 inch?) and the ports are on top of it. Also prone to scuffing I noticed, depends on the volume. The good thing about it is the form factor though. I am looking into SVS, the companion iPhone app is interesting to me.

The thing is, all those subs have smaller woofers than my current ones. Won’t that be a step backwards?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wish SVS would make the PC versions without a cloth wrap. As much as they are a great space saving option they scream "cat scratching post" everytime I look at them. A few plucks and runs to that fabric and it would look pretty sucky in no time.
Looks better than a painted cardboard sono tube I suppose.
I have two pc12pluses and my cat has never even given them a sniff. In fact he regularly hides behind one and watches the animals through the sliding glass door lol. I’ve seen others with the same concern but Ime it’s not a thing.
Maybe they should make a version like this that I made for my garage(has a baseplate now) I intentionally made it to look like it was left at a construction site.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks you for the tip. The PC is indeed a ported version, but isn’t that subwoofer downfiring? I just looked at a YouTube review of it and I saw that the speaker cone is at the bottom (13,5 inch?) and the ports are on top of it. Also prone to scuffing I noticed, depends on the volume. The good thing about it is the form factor though. I am looking into SVS, the companion iPhone app is interesting to me.

The thing is, all those subs have smaller woofers than my current ones. Won’t that be a step backwards?
Yes they are down firing, but that’s of no consequence whatsoever. Also, there is MUCH more to subwoofer design than driver size. Did you mean chuffing, not scuffing? I haven’t heard any concerns about that and if the volume is loud enough to make it chuff, I doubt you’d be able to hear the chuffing anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you control gain on the subs themselves rather than your avr? Most can use the remote for such. I'd think you're better off with the dual Klipsch rather than the SB16 in any case.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
Why do you control gain on the subs themselves rather than your avr? Most can use the remote for such. I'd think you're better off with the dual Klipsch rather than the SB16 in any case.
I like to use the gain knobs to control the volume and re meassure them (close mic configuration) in REW, while maintaining the AVR level trims on -5db or lower.

Good to know about the SB-16 ultra. I thought that a bigger woofer would mean better sound. I will think about the PC models, although I prefer the looks of a “box”. The PB-3000 looks interesting too, but I saw a YouTube video of Youthman who meassured them against the Klipsch. The klipsch has more output in the lower end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like to use the gain knobs to control the volume and re meassure them (close mic configuration) in REW, while maintaining the AVR level trims on -5db or lower.

Good to know about the SB-16 ultra. I thought that a bigger woofer would mean better sound. I will think about the PC models, although I prefer the looks of a “box”. The PB-3000 looks interesting too, but I saw a YouTube video of Youthman who meassured them against the Klipsch. The klipsch has more output in the lower end.
What's the point of maintaining the sub trim level while changing the gain on the sub? Seems it would be easier to just change the trim level in the avr....

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
What's the point of maintaining the sub trim level while changing the gain on the sub? Seems it would be easier to just change the trim level in the avr....
True, but sometimes Audyssey set the trim level on -4db and I always bump up 5db. I’ve read on AVS that the subwoofer trim should always be on -5db or lower. I think it was because of the headroom in the AVR or the sub amp.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

It is advised to have two over one subs. It seems you are space limited, that's where it make sense to purchased sealed subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True, but sometimes Audyssey set the trim level on -4db and I always bump up 5db. I’ve read on AVS that the subwoofer trim should always be on -5db or lower. I think it was because of the headroom in the AVR or the sub amp.
Gotcha, but if you make the sub trim level say -10 to start....

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
It is advised to have two over one subs. It seems you are space limited, that's where it make sense to purchased sealed subs.
I do have two R-115SW’s and my space is an odd shaped medium sized room. It’s 45m2.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

There is no way that the Klipsch subs have more low end the the PB-3000s. If anyone measured otherwise, they didn't measure these subs correctly.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
So how about two SB16s then?
That’s a possibility, although the cost would go up immensely. Would 2 SB-16’s be a big or marginal upgrade compared to the Klipsch, even if the SVS are sealed subs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s a possibility, although the cost would go up immensely. Would 2 SB-16’s be a big or marginal upgrade compared to the Klipsch, even if the SVS are sealed subs?
I'd go with Shadyj's comments on comparing them. I was just thinking its best to stick with dual subs rather than go from two to one....

ps I'd probably just keep the Klipsch....what are you running short on?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I do have two R-115SW’s and my space is an odd shaped medium sized room. It’s 45m2.
OK, I thought you were considering going from two to one. Anyway, what do you define as better?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis