Dual HSU VTF-15H vs Dual PSA TV1512

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
Are dual TV1512's worth the extra $1k over the VTF-15H? Room is 22x18x9 (3500 ft^3) and is sealed. 100% movies and TV. Considered Rythmik, but they are out of stock of most subs until June. SVS just didn't seem to have the value compared to the the others. Between the larger size/weight and the customer service that doesn't seem to be as good as the others ruled out Monolith.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would imagine that the PSA subs have a mid-bass advantage, but that is all. I don't think it's worth it since you will already get a lot of mid-bass with the Hsu subs.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
The TV are tuned to around 12hz. They should have a lot more output under 20hz and a fair amount more above that over the HSU. Whether that is worth the $1K is up to you.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The TV are tuned to around 12hz. They should have a lot more output under 20hz and a fair amount more above that over the HSU. Whether that is worth the $1K is up to you.
I would be worried about that. Those drivers don't have a tremendous amount of excursion, and that is a very deep tuning frequency. Something has to give, and the product page isn't likely to show it. I would wait for third-party measurements before pulling the trigger on something like that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm with @shadyJ on this. Pro drivers have a very high Fs, and to operate below their resonance requires GOBS of power. To be fair, the Motor and Suspension are designed to take it, and I've seen numbers that indicate they can usually operate to an excursion of just under 2/3 of their gap before things get ugly... But if they lose their efficiency ~35Hz, and are approaching their excursion limits by 18-20Hz pushing these much further becomes more about your DSP, Transform function, voltage limiter, and available current and voltage to the Amp.

That PSA Sub with its 960w Amp capable of hitting Peaks of over 2000w will be drawing hard on whatever circuit its plugged into if engaging some deep and heavy low frequency and infrasonic output.

I would really love to see some good measurements of PSA Subs to see what they are doing. It's all good to say that in-room they can hit 10Hz while being -3dB at 14Hz... but at what SPL?
Moreover, I would like very much to see what kind of voltage is going into that thing at 20Hz and below!

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Are dual TV1512's worth the extra $1k over the VTF-15H? Room is 22x18x9 (3500 ft^3) and is sealed. 100% movies and TV. Considered Rythmik, but they are out of stock of most subs until June. SVS just didn't seem to have the value compared to the the others. Between the larger size/weight and the customer service that doesn't seem to be as good as the others ruled out Monolith.
I have demoed both in my room. The HSU wasn't even in the same ballpark as the PSA when it came to mid-bass & ULF.

I would look at the Rythmik FV15HP & the PSA TV1512 both are pretty close with my personal experience, just comes down to which sound signature you prefer.

Order both and keep what sounds/feels best in your room.

FWIW I ended up upgrading to a bigger sub for my living room.

Here is a RAW ( no EQ) sweep of one TV1812 in my 16x14x9 living room with two wide open door ways ( yes I need EQ and a 2nd sub to help with nulls)

You can see I get usable output down to 9.5hz

I can watch movies at reference with zero issues.View attachment 47029

Last edited:
lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I looked at Rythmoc, but they are sold out till June! Playing with REW, I think I need a sub in the front left and back right corners. Front left corner is tight for space. I think if I go with the TV18 it will push the left front speaker too far to the right and put it partially in front of my screen. I'll have to measure it closely again.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I looked at Rythmoc, but they are sold out till June! Playing with REW, I think I need a sub in the front left and back right corners. Front left corner is tight for space. I think if I go with the TV18 it will push the left front speaker too far to the right and put it partially in front of my screen. I'll have to measure it closely again.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
If the TV1812 is too big then go with the TV1512 and add a 2nd one later. The nice thing with PSA is, if you buy a 2nd sub within the 1st year of buying your 1st, you will get a discount, please email PSA to confirm.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis