Dual BIC F12 subs with Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I am going to be pairing the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer FS52, CS22, and BS22 5.0 set up to a Yamaha a3010 9.2 AVR (room to grow). I'm wondering if I should stick with just one sub while I use this in a 5.1 set up. Will 2 subs be overpowering?

Also If I go with 2 subs I will be getting these due to the price vs quality. If 2 will be too much then I will likely consider the HSU STF-2.

Other reco's appreciated.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Calibration = THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH :D

I'll take 1 quality over two lesser subs every time however because twice as much of lower quality is still lower quality = upgrade sooner.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
I've gone around and around on this sub question -- I'm running a 2.1 setup with the FS52 towers. I've looked at all the sub $300 options (Monoprice, BIC F12, Klipsch RW12D, etc.) and I'm just not that impressed with any of them. I've decided I'm going to wait a while, try to be happy with my little Audiosource SW80, and save for a HSU STF-2.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from monitoring Craiglist in the meantime...

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Travis T

Enthusiast
I'd rather have 1 $5-600 sub vs 2 $250-300 ones. I have a Bic PL200 and it has good output for the price, but is really muddy and inaccurate. I've had an SVS pb1000 to play with for a few weeks, and as time goes on I like it more and more and can tell where the extra $$ is on the SVS. I've heard really good things about the Outlaw LFM1-EX, they used to go on sale pretty regularly for $550-600 delivered, IIRC. Then when the upgrade bug bites you again you have a better base to build on if you want to dual subs.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
I've decided I'm going to wait a while, try to be happy with my little Audiosource SW80, and save for a HSU STF-2.
So, as it turns out, I failed in my plan to wait a while. I snagged a HSU VTF-2 Mk1 (with a dead amp) on eBay for $110 shipped. The amp will be replaced with a Dayton Audio SPA250 ($125 at parts-express). I could pass up the opportunity. I think I'll end up with a $235 subwoofer that sounds like it cost twice as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So, as it turns out, I failed in my plan to wait a while. I snagged a HSU VTF-2 Mk1 (with a dead amp) on eBay for $110 shipped. The amp will be replaced with a Dayton Audio SPA250 ($125 at parts-express). I could pass up the opportunity. I think I'll end up with a $235 subwoofer that sounds like it cost twice as much.
You will want to be careful with that replacement amp since it likely does not have the same settings available for the two tuning modes of that sub and that sub can be bottomed out if you overdrive it. Very nice sub, I owned one.

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
You will want to be careful with that replacement amp since it likely does not have the same settings available for the two tuning modes of that sub and that sub can be bottomed out if you overdrive it. Very nice sub, I owned one.
Yup, based on the reviews I'm reading on parts-express, running the amp with its "bass boost" setting OFF and one port sealed should be a safe combination.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis