U

Unregistered

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between DTS and Dolby Digital? My receiver, an Onkyo HT-R510, has both options for surround sound and I cannot tell the difference. I'm not sure if I am set up to have the optimum benefit of either/or.

From what I've read, most movies are still recorded in Dolby, but you may have better music quality with DTS. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
DTS uses a higher sample rate than Dolby so most people think it sounds better. It's also mixed hotter, so it generally sounds a little hotter and maybe slighty more bass heavy.

There are several movies I can't tell the difference either, and others that there's a huge difference, even if it's mostly the levels, so the best bet is to listen to a few movies with both and see what you like best. If you can't tell the difference, then it's not a big decision, is it? :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Unregistered said:
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between DTS and Dolby Digital? My receiver, an Onkyo HT-R510, has both options for surround sound and I cannot tell the difference. I'm not sure if I am set up to have the optimum benefit of either/or.

From what I've read, most movies are still recorded in Dolby, but you may have better music quality with DTS. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!

Two different companies with two different algorithims to achieve the outcome.

Just because one has a higher data rate doesn't mean it is better. How it is architectured what is important. Th etwo are comparable.

DD is the DVD audio standard, DTS is optional.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis