DTS Mandatory Audio Technology for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) (NASDAQ: DTSI) today announced that its DTS Coherent Acoustics coding system has been selected as mandatory audio technology for both the Blu-ray Disc (BD) and High Definition Digital Versatile Disc (HD-DVD), the two next generation high-definition disc formats for home video.

Read the DTS Press Release

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Dts++

I had been concerned that the HD-DVD and Blu Ray formats would be saddled with the old-tech, low-fidelity sound processing of Dolby Digital and DTS. I had hoped for a combination of high-definition video with high fidelity audio equivalent to SACD for movies, and especially for musical performances. The lossless DTS++ processing sounds like a step in the right direction.

U

Unregistered

goodman said:
...the old-tech, low-fidelity sound processing of Dolby Digital and DTS.
There is nothing old-tech or low-fidelity about DD or DTS.

U

Unregistered

It is conforting to note that new players will incorporate a DTS decoder, making it unecessary to purchase a new receiver.

"As a mandatory technology in the next generation standards, a DTS decoder will be built into every next generation player that incorporates either HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc"

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Blu-Ray Blues.

Very interesting news but will our large collection of normal dvds be playable on the new players ? Videodisc got obsolet in less than a year when dvd was released. I hope that I won't need to substitute my whole collection of dvd like I did with my collection of videodiscs again.

I have a 7.1 receiver, so there will be no need ,fortunately, to buy a new one. My television is a HDTV with Video Component input, so no worry. It will be a pity that I will need to substitute my very good progressive scan dvd player that I just bought two months ago. :(

Well...just how Pearl Jam told in a song "That's Evolution baby..."

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Hi Goodman.

Buy "T2 - Extreme DVD", by Artisan, "Dirty Dancing - Ultimate Edition" also by Artisan, "Final Destination 2" by New Line and "Gladiator" by Dreamworks. They are the living proof that Dolby Digital and DTS aren't old-tech or low fidelity sound processing.

Best Wishes,

Gerald

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
One more question.

Will the Blu-Ray dvds be more fragile than the usual dvds, because of the amount of informations ?

Thanks,

Gerald

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
How soon can we expect this new formats to appear in the market with sufficient titles to choose from?

This lossless DTS++ format might even overtake DVD-A and SACD in the market for high resolution audio in the HD-DVD medium. THose DTS-CDs can and do give MLP-based DVD-As some competition in terms of sonic quality for some recordings.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Odd...I read just the opposite in my AfterDawn newsletter. That a new DD was mandatory & the DTS codec was optional.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis