DTS Lines Up Audio Suppliers To Support DTS:X Surround

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
DTS Lines Up Audio Suppliers To Support DTS:X Surround

http://www.twice.com/news/components/dts-lines-audio-suppliers-support-dtsx-surround/55429

Pretty much every manufacture has signed on for 2015 release:

From DTS:

DTS, Inc. is excited to reveal that DTS:X will be its next-generation object-based codec technology. This release is the successor to DTS-HD Master Audio and marks another milestone in DTS's long line of industry-leading sound innovations. DTS:X delivers the ultimate in flexibility, immersion, and interactivity to listeners of all forms of entertainment.

Manufacturers representing nearly 90 percent of the home AV receiver and surround processor market, including Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha, have agreed to launch products supporting DTS:X in 2015. Additional manufacturer partners will be announced in the coming months. DTS:X solutions are also available for leading 2015 AV receiver silicon platforms representing the majority of the DSP platform market share, including Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices, and Texas Instruments.

The official launch of DTS:X is planned for March 2015, at which time additional information will be shared.
- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to watch a good movie in a commercial DTS:X theater and see how it compares to the ATMOS theaters I've experienced. :D

RichB

RichB

^^^
A good movie, you'll have to be patient :p

- Rich

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Well the layout in circle why? You won't see it in circle in typical cinemas where it would equal clutter on the floor as well as health hazard if you tripped over cables.

Now I can easily visualize the lot fitted on the side walls and I see this same auro 11.1 layer thing with the surrounds.

Wouldn't it be best to keep the overhead as is and the side wall as is and the ones on the floor need to be smaller and placed underneath real cinema seats.

The speakers for the stage channels I see what appears to be upper LCR and below LCR along with the common middle LCR, I hope my eyes not deceiving me okay I'm in. :) But, but...

Fitting the surrounds on the ceiling in circle., I'll use the 25 years ago UCI tower park approach gets same results.

...But, but.

Now as Venkman, said in Ghostbusters. "let's talk seriously, now"

What is the AVR gonna cost? I refuse to pay for a new AVR with surround 3d format war. If it was sold for £150.00 I would seriously consider it. Anything over £800 to £2.5 grand is daylight robbery, that will only end up being sold within few years on ebay for £150.00.

They should release CONTENT first not the AVR and milk consumers out of thousands to millions worldwide like Dolby atmos is doing with little content for the format to show for itself.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

DTS is used on most BD audio titles. Early on, there authoring tools were much faster and cheaper.
The DTS core feature preserved space since a hidden lossey track was not required.

That give them an edge if DTS:X authoring tools are well received.
Time will tell.

- Rich

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Well are you patient to keep your existing AVR and watch the sound format battles in the trenches for 2 or 3 years buy which time there should be hundreds of tiles to chose or buy not less than handful like atmos right now. I mean I would be bored with Transformers4 within a few days. I'd be wanting the next film but why are the studios and Dolby labs backing support for this so lame. No pun on Dolby labs they came out with some cool features for cinema and home in the past. But atmos looks like its going nowhere?

Yes in very deed I will be watching to see what format is going to take this seriously with content released first. I bet dtsX surround, won't have content of films out months before the AVR release date.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Where are the Atmos reflection speakers Andy? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't even foresee myself buying any new AVR or pre-pro for the next 20 years. :eek:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Where are the Atmos reflection speakers Andy? :)
I don't know Gene, I see lots of speakers aiming around seating. I guess dts doesn't dig bouncing refection speakers.

I can just see the wife now sharpening up her axe. "No way you putting all those speakers up in our living-room."

A set up like that needs matched in-wall ceiling/walls/floor underneath the rasied seating with legs the rest behind transparent screen or flat screen needs to be correct size, as if too large one will be stuck with where to place the matched speakers? Also the size of arrays of fronts need to be of smaller size. Fitting PA compact 12" with HF compression driver will be tricky thing, not impossible just tricky to size it all up.

Okay I'm gonna take bet here that dts X wins the sound format war in few years. It just appears to have the edge. Seems like Dolby labs will have to come out with "Atmos Plus IIxyz" (with below surround) fast... otherwise they will lose the war.

AVR has to have RCA outputs and be cheap for all to afford if it doesn't have all the RCA or XLR or maybe they'll use D-25 pin leads that come free with every AVR sold. The D25 will be easy as it will take up less space on the back of the AVR.

RichB

RichB

DTS won over BD production with better/faster tools and support not with ads.

The DTS core in a lossless package was an advantage as well for the bit-budget.

If DTS can provide features for those not interested or capable of installing ceiling channels, such as dialog control better mapping, that would be a selling point for the 7.1 crowd.

One that I find more appealing, than Atmos speakers.

I paraphrase, but during the Dolby interview they were asked if Atmos was compatible with all Blu-ray players, the response was contemporary BD players, which we now know has to do with seamless branching. I think Dolby would be better served by leveling with consumers. Of course, that could negatively impact sales of Atmos up-firing technology. ;)

- Rich

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Can you elaborate more on what is meant by contemporary players?

RichB

RichB

Can you elaborate more on what is meant by contemporary players?
Although not expressly required for ATMOS, many titles make great use of Dolby's seamless branching. BD players based on older mediaTek (and perhaps others), can have trouble keeping up with the branching since it breaks the prefetch. ATMOS requires Bitstreaming and the solution is to output LPCM, disabling ATMOS.
It is unclear to me (anyway) if this was an ATMOS requirement or another attempt at copy protection.

Some have reported problems on the Oppo BDP-8x and 9x players. There are no problems with the 103(D) and 105(D)players.

- Rich

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That's fine for th OPPO players, Rich, but there's a ton of blu-ray ones out there. Do you think we'll see a new crop come out that say ATMOS ready?

RichB

RichB

That's fine for th OPPO players, Rich, but there's a ton of blu-ray ones out there. Do you think we'll see a new crop come out that say ATMOS ready?
I would expect that it is true for all players based on the older MediaTek chipsets.

No, because Dolby is not interested in advertising incompatibility and this is problem that is tied to seamless branching use and not necessarily Atmos.

- Rich

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
odd I had audio drop out with Star Trek Into Darkness when the black starship crashed into San Fransisco, at point where it was rolling towards the buildings it dropped out for a few seconds on the first showing of it last year, but its not repeated the same drop-out in the same place again or any other drops I noticed even when playing it yesterday. Least its not as bad as dtsHDMA bit bombs. Only discovered that rubbish star wars Noooooo ray disc has it and I not played those rubbish bluray in few years since getting a new AVR so I won't bother playing them again, they do my :eek: head in. CBSFOX early letterbox LASERDISC are the only ones I can watch and listen too. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis