DSD multichannel playback

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi,

I know this is not a new topic but I'm really struggling to find the best solution to this problem:

I have some DSF files that contain 5.1 channels. My receiver is a Denon AVC-X8500H which can play 2-channel DSF files over USB and network. If I don't want to convert my files to a different format then what is the best way to play them back?
I do have a Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray player which can take the files and send them to my receiver via HDMI so that is currently my best option. I can also get Kodi to send them to my receiver through my Nvidia Shield. However it converts to PCM first so probably not the most ideal solution. Just a much nicer interface than the Sony (which is pretty terrible).

What does everyone else do?

Thanks for your tips!

Morten

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just play my multich sacds for dsd.....no downloads for me so far. However I'm interested too. I do stream other multich files (flac) via wifi/dlna or via a drive attached to bluray players then hdmi to avr. I looked into downloads at one point but the file size was just too much for my internet connection.....now that it has improved I'll take a look and if I find something worth downloading I'll see what happens.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's what I do: First, I make sure to download FLAC 5.1 not DSD 5.1. That's most important because you need a player on your computer to output 5.1 and Foobar 2000 does that very well. Next, I put the files on a thumb drive, or I burn a DVD since my pre-pro is pre HDMI. The DVD or thumb drive is playable gaplessly via my OPPO-205. Now, why FLAC when the OPPO will play DSD files without conversion to PCM? The OPPO's 5.1 channel gain control requires conversion of DSD to PCM to apply desired settings. This is of ZERO concern however since I can not discern any divergence from DSD direct conversion to analog and conversion from DSD to PCM to analog. At any rate, I get my 5.1 downloads from Acoustic Sounds and from download to playback as I recall there are about 16 actions at computer, TV remote, and OPPO remote to play 5.1 so, when I can, I take the 5.1 SACD route.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Thanks for the explanation. Seems to me that putting DSF files on a USB stick and playing through the Sony UHD Blu-ray player would yield the same result then?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW all I use SACD/DSD for is to get some multich content, the conversion in a player vs my avr is fine either way, sounds the same.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Ok. Well tbh I usually use Kodi for playback on my Nvidia Shield. It converts to 356 kHz PCM but still sounds good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's the mixes/mastering that's worthwhile on them generally....aside from being one of the few sources we have for multich music, of course.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the explanation. Seems to me that putting DSF files on a USB stick and playing through the Sony UHD Blu-ray player would yield the same result then?
Yes, if the Sony can play 5.1 from a thumb drive attached to usb input you will be good to go. That's to say if the Sony will convert to HDMI. My OPPO has two usb inputs, one sends 5.1 or stereo to a pair of 8 channel DACs, which converts to stereo or 5.1. The other usb input sends stereo only to one 8 channel DAC which processes at 24/192 for high quality analog output. Remember, some of today's Sony Players, possibly yours has no internal DAC to process multi-channel and only one or two of their players today will convert digital stereo to analog. So, if you're gonna put 5.1 on a stick you might as well connect the stick to your pre-pro, assuming it will convert 5.1 from the usb input.

S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
I have many SACDs that I play directly from a Yamaha DSD player over HDMI to a receiver.

I also have a couple of hundred DSD 5.1 files that I play from Roon to an Exasound DAC connected to a receiver through analog 5.1 connections.

Both approaches have no format conversion from source to speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have many SACDs that I play directly from a Yamaha DSD player over HDMI to a receiver.

I also have a couple of hundred DSD 5.1 files that I play from Roon to an Exasound DAC connected to a receiver through analog 5.1 connections.

Both approaches have no format conversion from source to speakers.
Well of course it has a format conversion or you'd just have the digital file/signal.....so maybe no change up to DAC :)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

I know this is not a new topic but I'm really struggling to find the best solution to this problem:

I have some DSF files that contain 5.1 channels. My receiver is a Denon AVC-X8500H which can play 2-channel DSF files over USB and network. If I don't want to convert my files to a different format then what is the best way to play them back?
I do have a Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray player which can take the files and send them to my receiver via HDMI so that is currently my best option. I can also get Kodi to send them to my receiver through my Nvidia Shield. However it converts to PCM first so probably not the most ideal solution. Just a much nicer interface than the Sony (which is pretty terrible).

What does everyone else do?

Thanks for your tips!

Morten
I use a Yamaha BD-A1060 universal player (plays SACD, blu ray audio, HDCD, everything on earth) to send my native 5.1 SACDs or ripped 5.1 files from a NAS through HDMI to a receiver. No PCM conversion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use a Yamaha BD-A1060 universal player (plays SACD, blu ray audio, HDCD, everything on earth) to send my native 5.1 SACDs or ripped 5.1 files from a NAS through HDMI to a receiver. No PCM conversion.
Can actually play the HDCD portion?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, on the very few HDCDs i have....roxy music avalon.....van halen albums, etc...
Yeah I've got lots of HDCD discs but no player that can get that extra information out, didn't even realize it until I was ripping them to flac and noticed the logos (don't remember that being part of the advertising at all either). Not as bad as having SACDs and only playing the redbook layer I suppose, altho I suspect I'm not missing a lot. Didn't think any contemporary player could play that part either....thought it was tech no longer made available or something....

S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
Yes, that’s certainly an option, and one that I used to use. However, all receivers will do further processing on the incoming digital multi ch signal before it gets to the speakers and you have no control over what it does. I didn’t want that; instead, I wanted the original recording’s sound to be reproduced as faithfully as possible. That’s why I decided to use the Exasound e38 DAC and an analog 5.1 connection to a Marantz receiver that has a direct line from the analog inputs to the speakers (no processing). Unfortunately, very few receivers provide analog inputs anymore.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I've got lots of HDCD discs but no player that can get that extra information out, didn't even realize it until I was ripping them to flac and noticed the logos (don't remember that being part of the advertising at all either). Not as bad as having SACDs and only playing the redbook layer I suppose, altho I suspect I'm not missing a lot. Didn't think any contemporary player could play that part either....thought it was tech no longer made available or something....
The Van Halen HDCDs sound better than even the studio master FLACs. worth it for a Van Halen fan.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis