Driving a 140W Subwoofer with a 100W Amazon Amplifier?

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
I found a Onkyo subwoofer on the side of the street that someone had thrown out and am interested in using it.

The board was cracked in half somehow (No idea / fell?), so I can't re-use that (Maybe I can reuse the transformer / diode bridge / capacitors to use as a power supply).

I plan on using it with my Xbox One, but I'm not sure how to drive it. I was thinking about a 100W subwoofer driver on Amazon like this: Subwoofer Driver

I not interested in having a rock concert or anything, usually I like the atmosphere that subs make, but I don't operate them at anywhere near their rated maximums (My other subwoofer maybe makes it up to 10% of max volume sometimes).

For my use case, would the difference in wattage cause problems such as it not being able to drive the coil?

Just curious, I have an amplifier to drive my bookshelf speakers that I use with my XBONE right now, but I can't think of how to pair them with the subwoofer.
Would I just split the 3.5mm output from the bookshelf amplifier so that it also goes to the subwoofer's amplifier?

Thanks!
X.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis