Downloadable test-tones at Audioholics

J

Jota

Audiophyte
Recently I´ve mailed Audioholics staff suggesting the creation and upload of some basic test-tones, along with a brief description on how to use each one (sine waves, warble tones, pink noise -L/R, Mono, stereo-, etc.).
I believe it would be very useful to have access to that stuff.

The response to my question was, in fact, very wise: I was asked with some new questions -posted below-, and encouraged to start this post, to see if at least some of you agree with me.

Now, to the questions:

1. Regarding your suggestion, please tell me how you think it would work?

A: We would download the tones, burn them, and use the CDs or DVDs to calibrate our system.

2. Would people interface their PC with their hometheater systems?

A. I don´t think so, at least at present time and in my country (Argentina).

3. Is the purpose of this for calibrating your system?

A: Yes

4. Why not just use Avia or equivalent DVD?

A: Because for some of us who live in third-world countries, it´s very difficult to get such a DVD (There´s no local store selling any of that, and our customs charge so much for importing fees, the final price would be almost tripled -shipping charges included-). Besides that, for currency-exchange reasons, for argentine people every dollar has to be multiplied by 3.
That´s how the disc would cost me about 9 times its value!.
* Older stereo music systems don´t accept DVDs

Comments, anyone?

B

Bobster

Junior Audioholic
I agree completely that these tones would be etremely useful.

I'd also like to suggest that similar SACD and DVD-A encoded test signals be provided if possible.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Why don't you just download one of the many freeware and shareware programs and make your own? Go to versiontracker.com and do a search for test tones or signal generator. You will find many for mac and PC.

J

Jota

Audiophyte
Even if I get those tone generators, I would´n know exactly what tones to generate for system setup, and, anyway, I wouldn´t know how to use each one (what am I supposed to hear when I play the tone: what is correct and what´s not, and in such a case where´s the problem to be fixed).

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
i think this is a very good idea. If audioholics made such a CD iso (note make it an iso for easy burning to CD), it would also give people more reason to visit the site looking for said CD. Kind of another way to lure people to the site to see what great stuff it has to offer.

As one person mentioned why not do it yourself, well some of us may need to teaching on how to even use the sounds much less create the approiate ones to use.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
Test tones

I have read a lot on Audioalcoholics the last days and found comprehensive guidence in optimising acoustics.

If you want to do it properly their is no way out of aquiring a CD with test tones and a Sould Level Meter, SPL. Ok, it will cost some 50 USD or so all together. I have just ordered the test CD 2 from Irives and an analog Radio Schack SPL meter. (Was available in Denmark under another brand name "Velleman" at 250 DKR or about 41 USD. The Radio Schack SPL meter cost 500 DKR in Denmark.... :mad: !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis