Downfiring Sub's On Carpet

T

Team_Canada

Audioholic Intern
Question is, if a downfiring sub is placed on carpet will it deaden the sound. Not sure if deaden is a word.

I have two JBL downfiring subs. Would it be beneficial to place a piece of ceramic tile or plastic under the sub so that the sound is deflected of a hard surface?

Has anyone tried this? If so, will this produce a better sound?

Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Team_Canada said:
Question is, if a downfiring sub is placed on carpet will it deaden the sound. Not sure if deaden is a word.

I have two JBL downfiring subs. Would it be beneficial to place a piece of ceramic tile or plastic under the sub so that the sound is deflected of a hard surface?

Has anyone tried this? If so, will this produce a better sound?

Thanks
Not a problem as long as you have about 3" of space clearance.

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
From my understanding the downfiring subs are designed to be placed on carpet.

I am assuming that you are not stacking the subs when I say this.

I would recomend emailing JBL with the model number and ask them what they would recommend.

I have HSU and they recommend placeing carpet under the sub, partly because the vibrations from the sub would cause the sub to move. and I can't remember the other reason.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
dr.hug said:
From my understanding the downfiring subs are designed to be placed on carpet.

I am assuming that you are not stacking the subs when I say this.

I would recomend emailing JBL with the model number and ask them what they would recommend.

I have HSU and they recommend placeing carpet under the sub, partly because the vibrations from the sub would cause the sub to move. and I can't remember the other reason.
I highly doubt a 60 pound sub will move from its woofer. Subs that move have poor bracing inside the cabinet, Hsu's are not one of these subs. They would not weigh 60 pounds if they didn't have bracing.

Any rubber feet will stop a sub from moving. If the sub has spikes, use hockey pucks.

The carpet might absorb some of the standing waves, but this would most likely be inaudible. SVS subs use a plate to load the subwoofer on, helping it with its tactile response (ability to shake things, feel the bass). Hsu just uses the floor as a loading surface.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sheep said:
I highly doubt a 60 pound sub will move from its woofer. Subs that move have poor bracing inside the cabinet, Hsu's are not one of these subs. They would not weigh 60 pounds if they didn't have bracing.
Sheep said:
:D If a sub moves, it has serious issues in the first place. Neither of these are one of these subs.:p

The carpet might absorb some of the standing waves, but this would most likely be inaudible.

For sure. Too small and too thin for sub frequency use.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
Sheep said:
:D If a sub moves, it has serious issues in the first place. Neither of these are one of these subs.:p

The carpet might absorb some of the standing waves, but this would most likely be inaudible.

For sure. Too small and too thin for sub frequency use.
Exactly. Not only that, but subwoofer drivers are designed to be as light as possible. They don't have neerly the moving mass/momentum to shake the enclosure enough to move. :D Lastest in subwoofer design, the cast iron cone :D

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis