Don't connect AMP to UPS or Power Conditioner --->>> ??

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
This is strange to me but then again I'm fairly new to the 'audio' world.

I am getting an EarthQuake Sound Cinenova 5 delivered today and I've been chit-chatting with their not so descriptive and not so helpful support team through email and they've told me NOT to connect the amp directly to either a line-interactive UPS OR a power conditioner... to just plug it directly into the wall. I'm assuming I could at least use a power strip.

He said it would be "Not good for the amp." regarding the Line-Interactive UPS and to "connect power to the wall", and for the power conditioner he said "MAKE SURE NOT TO CONNECT THE CINENOVA TO A POWER CONDITIONER."

So, my questions are... Does this seem right ? Are all amps like this ?

Thanks

Nick

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't heard this before but I know my power conditioner has a spot specifically labeled for high currents and in that section one plug is labeled amp. So Belkin thinks its okay atleast.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
nasd90

I assume your talking about this pictured below? I have no experience with the Earthquake, but I have heard of the name over the past 7 years.

I sure someone here might be more clued up this product than I am.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I can not imagine the reasoning for such a warning.

A good UPS simply creates a clean sine wave of the desired voltage in absence of normal line voltage.

However, your amplifier, from the picture, appears to be substantial. You might (?) need a commercial grade 2000VA large capacity UPS to drive that unit off of battery power.

-Chris

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have been through this same question with Emotiva over my recent MPS-1 purchase. Lonnie (very knowledgeable and helpful tech support) told me the same thing.

If I remember correct it was as much to do with having all of the equipment going through a conditioner (pre amp, tv, sat etc.) may over draw that curcuit. Also he stated that their equipment is designed to be plugged directly into the outlet and that the amp has its own protection built in (fuses). I apologize if am not 100% accurate in how I explained this but the jist is add a new 20amp curcuit, plug that sucker in and enjoy.

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
Ohhhh... I have to get a 20amp circuit installed ? I didn't even think about that. It won't work with what's there now ? I'm not even sure what regular circuits are...

Not an electrician... :(

Nick

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure if you need a 20amp circuit installed but the typical circuit is 15amps I believe. You might want to check your new amps instruction manual to see if they make recommendations, it seems like something they would mention or you could always call them back and as again.

Last edited:
B

bongobob

Audioholic
I haven't heard this before but I know my power conditioner has a spot specifically labeled for high currents and in that section one plug is labeled amp. So Belkin thinks its okay atleast.
Same thing on my APC conditioner. I run my Adcom through the high current outlet and have all my other gear running through the unit as well with no problems.

I would think the amps internal protection might be against large spikes but won't level out the voltage like a true conditioner. I've seen the dips and peaks register on the APC as it levels things out. That fluctuation can't be good for any piece of electronic equipment.....

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
The main reason they are likely telling you not to plug it into the conditioner is like others have mentioned, The current draw. When you start plugging an entire system into a single component the amps can start to add up pretty quick. I would not say its bad advice. The maker of my amplfiiers also reccomends plugging directly into the wall and I do even though i have a monster power conditioner with "high current" outlets.

Regarding 20 amp outlets, Its always good if you have a dedicated line for your equipment, even a couple. You can run most all gear off a standard outlet which is 15amp. Keep in mind however that that single circuit could be running all the plugs in your room or whatever other crazy scheme the electrician could come up with.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am getting an EarthQuake Sound Cinenova 5 delivered today and I've been chit-chatting with their not so descriptive and not so helpful support team through email and they've told me NOT to connect the amp directly to either a line-interactive UPS OR a power conditioner... to just plug it directly into the wall. I'm assuming I could at least use a power strip.

He said it would be "Not good for the amp." regarding the Line-Interactive UPS and to "connect power to the wall", and for the power conditioner he said "MAKE SURE NOT TO CONNECT THE CINENOVA TO A POWER CONDITIONER."

This is only true if you choose a crappy power conditioner that uses a variac to regulate the voltage. Believe it or not some of the BIG brand power conditioners still do this. If you choose a reputable conditioner from the likes of APC for example, this will NEVER be an issue.

Check out the article I wrote which discusses this:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-location-articles/audioholics-on-spot-location-apc-av

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
APC power center

I have the lower end APC H10 power center protecting all of my gear including a receiver, Emotiva Amp, sub, TV, etc. Under normal conditions the APC indicates that it is at 20% of capacity so I am not too concerned about current surges from the amp.

I can understand why you might want a surge protector or line conditioner on the amp, but whey would you need battery backup?

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
This is strange to me but then again I'm fairly new to the 'audio' world.

Thanks

Nick
Well first off...your new piece is sweet...and not cheap! I read PSaudio's site and they say plug their components directly into the wall UNLESS you are using one of their high-end conditioners!????? Is this bias? Stinks when the companies want to suck more of your blood/money leaving you unsure/uneasy about the security of your purchase.

I say protect it...listening for a difference in quality/sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As gene said, if you choose a reputable one, it should not be an issue. The real issue is, this monster amp apparently has a 4 kVA transformer and can output a maximum of 300WX5 into 8 ohms or 600X5 into 4 ohms. Assuming the amp is 50% efficient, to output 1500W it has to take in 3000W, or close to 4000VA. So your 2200 VA, or 1600W UPS is not going to cut it. It will work (very rarely would an amp be required to deliver their maximum rated output to all 5 channels), but you may not benefit from the amp's full potential, depending on the kind of music/movies you play with it. This is only from the VA/W stand point. If that UPS has some sort of filtering device and/or current limiting device in series, it may or may not have adverse effects on your amp.

By the way, does the amp allow you to use two 20A circuits? If not, I hope they come with a 30A power cord so that you can run a separate 30A circuit for it.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
A 30 amp circuit? Man, that's some power draw, isn't it. 20 amp decicated circuits are specified for microwaves, refrigorators, and A.C. units.! Electric stoves and dryers are 50 amps. Man, 30 amps to run his amplifier seems
drastic?!
Since we are on the subject, I may have read somewhere that not all pre amps and pre pros can handle high current, high watt amplifiers. Like big watt krells and what not. Is this true?! Does the OP have to worry about his pre handling this amp?!

C

cruiseoveride

Junior Audioholic
Hey i think my question is similar to yours, so i thought ill post here.

I have just purchased a SVS PB12-Plus2 (in the mail) and i dont know how much power it needs. The manual is rather vague and only says

be certain your power outlet can handle a minimum of 900 watts. (Use of “convenience outlets” on receivers are not recommended for your SVS)
I have 2x outlets in my room, with 2x plugs possible in each outlet. So a total of 4x sockets from the wall. I have no idea what the rating on those are.

At the moment,
1x socket is hooked up to a power bar, and is got Computer + Mixer + misc attached to it.
1x socket is connected to a 1000watt 220volt step up transformer for my Nakamichi.
1x socket is connected to a Fender Guitar Amp

So i have 1 more wall socket.

Is it safe to connect my sub to it?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Each 15 amp circuit in a house is capable of 1800 watts but multiple outlets may be on one circuit. The sub is not going to draw 900 watts continuously but it would be best if you can put it on a circuit that isn't already loaded with lots of other power hungry devices.

The cheapest way to test which outlets are part of one circuit would be to buy an outlet tester ($5-7 at Home Depot, Lowes). Then shut off the circuit breaker for that room and test each outlet to see which ones, if any, still has voltage. That one is not on the same circuit as the others.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The cheapest way to test which outlets are part of one circuit would be to buy an outlet tester ($5-7 at Home Depot, Lowes). Then shut off the circuit breaker for that room and test each outlet to see which ones, if any, still has voltage. That one is not on the same circuit as the others.
That's good advice and checking the circuits. Couldn't you also just plug something in and see if it works, such as a night light (or anything else portable that plugs in)? That way you don't need to make a trip to buy an outlet tester.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That's good advice and checking the circuits. Couldn't you also just plug something in and see if it works, such as a night light (or anything else portable that plugs in)? That way you don't need to make a trip to buy an outlet tester.
Yeah. That will work too. I recently did this and found out that unfortunately most of my outlets in the living room are on 1 circuit. I was at least able to put one of my subs on a separate circuit from the rest of the gear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis