Done with the soundbars, looking for a little guidance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that the most I'm looking to spend on a L/C/R setup would probably be $7500, and ideally find a sub for $1500. But I did come into this looking to spend half that so I'm not "trying" to push my budget, I just like nice things so $7500 isn't a hard limit either. I also have no problem waiting for discounts to hit, even if that isn't until the holiday season.

I think at least now, I have a little bit of a better base on what I'm looking for when I start going into dealers around the city.
I am sure you can get an awesome high-end system from the big companies for that much.

Just one example for a lot LESS than $7500:
Front Left/Right = RBH 661-SFM/R Reference Towers
Center = RBH 661C-SF/R Reference Center

Each of the 661-SFM/R Reference tower has dual 8" Subwoofers, so 2 towers combined = 4 x 8" subwoofers = 200 Sq inch, about equivalent to a dual-12" Subwoofer or a single-15" Subwoofer. So if your room is no bigger than 20' x 18' x 10', you might not even need a separate Subwoofer.

Or instead of the 661-SFM/R modular towers, you can get the 8300-SF/R Reference Tower with 3 x 8" Woofers, so even more bass (both towers combined = 6 x 8" Woofers = 300 Sq. Inch).

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think that the most I'm looking to spend on a L/C/R setup would probably be $7500, and ideally find a sub for $1500. But I did come into this looking to spend half that so I'm not "trying" to push my budget, I just like nice things so $7500 isn't a hard limit either. I also have no problem waiting for discounts to hit, even if that isn't until the holiday season.

I think at least now, I have a little bit of a better base on what I'm looking for when I start going into dealers around the city.
You can price the AVR and sub and then see what's left for speakers. You can get an estimate on prices through Crutchfield and Accessories4less. A4L has open box and refurb units if that appeals to you. The X4800H is $2500 but open box is only $1700. Single sub is doable for $1500 but for a room that size members will likely recommend dual subs to even out the response. Good examples are Hsu VTF-3 MK5 for $999 (+ shipping) or the RSL Speedwoofer 12S which is only $800. Several offerings from Monoprice (Monolith), Arendal and SVS as well. You had it low on your priority list but many people underestimate the importance of good clean bass. It significantly improves the overall sound of a system and with your budget I would definitely recommend good subs unless you get a full range speaker like the RBH just mentioned or the Paradigm Founder 120H.

You have a healthy budget so I would second recommendations for RBH, JBL, Revel and KEF. Hopefully you can demo them in your area. SVS and Arendal have in-home trials so consider that as well. While Ascend and Philharmonic Audio yield some of the best performance per dollar, you would need to find someone in your area with a pair that would be willing to demo them for you. There are forums where you can look into that. I've heard the Philharmonic speakers and they're one of my favorites if you like something very neutral (flat response) with a wide dispersion. There would likely be a waiting list for the HT Towers though (web site says next shipping date is August).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis