Dominant Stereo Speaker Problem

B

Bananafish70

Audiophyte
I recently added a new pair of GoldenEar Triton 2's. At the same time I changed the speaker wire I'm using. I've noticed that one channel is predominant. I switched the speakers and the same channel is predominant so I don't think it's the speakers. The media input, CD or vinyl, don't seem to make a difference. I didn't notice this imbalance prior to adding the new stuff. Is it possible for the speaker cables to cause this imbalance? They are the same length...7'.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
could be room accoustics. I had a similar issue and just adjusted the level for each channel until it was balanced.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Are you listening to music or using test tones.

First up, use the test tones.

You can tune on the low end on the T2 with the knobs on the back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like speaker levels need to be adjusted. What are you using for avr/integrated amp?

Did you leave the wire in place when you switched speakers to rule it out?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently added a new pair of GoldenEar Triton 2's. At the same time I changed the speaker wire I'm using. I've noticed that one channel is predominant. I switched the speakers and the same channel is predominant so I don't think it's the speakers. The media input, CD or vinyl, don't seem to make a difference. I didn't notice this imbalance prior to adding the new stuff. Is it possible for the speaker cables to cause this imbalance? They are the same length...7'.
Welcome to AH.

Did you place the speakers in the same place where the old ones were?
I would experiment with swapping the cables. If you still have the old cables, use them and see.
Then swap the rt to left with the new. Costs nothing.

Then I would also twist each RCA plugs to freshen up the contact points. Make sure they are tight in the sockets. Had a case similar to this and the answer was the RCA cable didn't make proper contact on one of the inputs.
Please report back.

B

Bananafish70

Audiophyte
Are you listening to music or using test tones.

First up, use the test tones.

You can tune on the low end on the T2 with the knobs on the back.
I'm listening to music. I'm not noticing this on the bass end too much.

B

Bananafish70

Audiophyte
Welcome to AH.

Did you place the speakers in the same place where the old ones were?
I would experiment with swapping the cables. If you still have the old cables, use them and see.
Then swap the rt to left with the new. Costs nothing.

Then I would also twist each RCA plugs to freshen up the contact points. Make sure they are tight in the sockets. Had a case similar to this and the answer was the RCA cable didn't make proper contact on one of the inputs.
Please report back.
Thanks. All other inputs and placements are the same as before. I'll check the plugs again but I did try that already

B

Bananafish70

Audiophyte
Sounds like speaker levels need to be adjusted. What are you using for avr/integrated amp?

Did you leave the wire in place when you switched speakers to rule it out?
Yes I did leave the wires in the same place...so that helped rule out a speaker discrepancy.

I have a Marantz PM15S1 integrated. There is no balance feature

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I did leave the wires in the same place...so that helped rule out a speaker discrepancy.

I have a Marantz PM15S1 integrated. There is no balance feature
Balance is called trimming in your unit...page 18 of the manual.

B

Bananafish70

Audiophyte
Balance is called trimming in your unit...page 18 of the manual.
Thanks. I've never looked at the remote since I don't use it but that function makes sense. In a perfect world the output from both sides would be even...at least that's my view. But this should work to correct the imbalance. Still I'm not certain that the integrated is the root cause...which I would prefer to address!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you switched interconnects/speaker wire to eliminate them as possible causes? Seems its more likely in your source or amp in any case.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, what I was getting at is that stereo recordings likely won't be exactly a 50/50 balance b/w the 2 speakers. Test tones would help to prove that there is indeed a problem.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Now it is also time to swap the speaker cable, a free experiment. ;)
And, those RCA cable connectors caused such an issue noticed by another [poster, here or another web site.
Have you asked a family member to see they can also detect this shift? Perhaps there may be a sudden hearing change ion one ear if nothing else pans out? No stone unturned. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Change only one thing at a time if you want to analyze anything without multiple variables causing problems with your perception of the sound and only try to listen critically after finding the best location for the speakers.

If the wire worked before, why did you change it?

So, the speaker that was louder was no longer louder after you moved it? Did you put the new speakers in the same spot, or are the old ones still there?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Who cares what the meter shows if it sounds wrong?
Agree. That's the final answer. But it doesn't answer/solve his question.
I think it's good to know the measured answer, and use it as a starting point. That's why I run Audyssey first, then make my preference adjustments.

highfigh

highfigh

Agree. That's the final answer. But it doesn't answer/solve his question.
I think it's good to know the measured answer, and use it as a starting point. That's why I run Audyssey first, then make my preference adjustments.
I'd like to know what kind of speakers were used before- the frequency range that sounds different wasn't stated, either. This could be due to the difference in dispersion- if the Tritons have wider dispersion and one is close to a wall while the other is farther away, one side will sound louder due to the reflections that weren't occurring with the old ones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis