Domesticating the former-bachelor audiophile

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I currently have an AV room that I set it up when I was still a bachelor. A pair of Snell JIII running off Outlaw Audio amps for the mains, some wall-mounted NHT's for surrounds, all running off Outlaw Audio amps. Plus a massive SVS PB12/2 to shake the house!!!

[While still a bachelor, my friends forbade me mentioning on dates the number of speakers and amps I owned ;-) ]

But then life moves on. I got married (truly a wonderful thing; she has made me much happier than the AV ever did), and my wife moves in to share my pad with the speakers. Despite it being in our main living room, the subwoofer and speakers have been here longer than my wife, so she has put up with them. But, with the wife, and then the kids, I'll be honest, the volumes and demands of the audio system have come way down.

I am a big fan of the direct-to-customer sales model, e.g. Outlaw Audio and SVS, so I am biased towards these brands. But, there are enough discount (and used) sellers of the PSB, NHT, etc that I am happy with those as well.

Our family is moving soon to a new house. While there are many pros to the new house, there is no man-cave for my AV equipment. Someday I want to build one in our new basement, but for now, our primary TV room will again be our family room. My wife wants different speakers that will "fit in" better. WAF is key. She is also reluctant to cut the drywall for in-wall speakers.

Certainly anything still being considered will be a downgrade for me. But, given that the main usage will be TV watching and the occasional movie, I'm on board to get a new, smaller system.

In the new room, we will likely put the 40" flatscreen TV over the fireplace. The hearth (just below the TV) is about 9" deep by 72" wide.

I am thinking about a 2.1 system, putting the speakers on the hearth. I currently have some NHTs and PSBs 2-way speakers, but with 5-6.5" woofers, my wife will object, saying they are too big. I think I can sell her on smaller bookshelves, e.g. 4" woofers.

My starting point would be something like a pair of NHT Superzeros and either NHT's matching 8" sub, or SVS SB12-NSD (or comparable).

My wife would be happier with something like the Orb Audio or Minx system.

So, finally, here are the questions for the forum:

1. Can a "fashion speaker" like Orb or Minx compete with the more traditional NHT (or similar) setup?
2. What 2.1 system would you recommend? (budget would be approx $1000 for a pair of speakers and the sub)

Many thanks!

Ken

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers can work in a living room environment and are a normal part of a family room. For subs you can always get the SVS sealed for a smaller footprint.

I'd say a pair of towers a couple surrounds wall mounted from an attic run and a SB-12 would work.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would still try to work in some Outlaw speakers (made by Snell)
BLS Bookshelf Loudspeakers
Outlaw Audio

Some B-stock here
https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html

If you must go smaller - then look at the Boston E40
BOSTON ACOUSTICS E40 High Performance Bookshelf Speaker Ea Black | Accessories4less

Epik sub
Welcome to Epik Subwoofers
How about an upgrade from your current system and still keep you wife happy?

These superb little bookshelves will do the job.

These bookshelves have a crystal clear sound, as good as any electrostatic. The designer Billy Woodman is the absolute king of being able to produce high spl from small drivers with low distortion and phenomenal reliability.

Cost is $1000 per pair, but you likely can negotiate some discount.

Their F3 and second order roll off are perfect for integrating with a sub.

They are small enough that you can add a center and surrounds as needs and funds permit.

I know these speakers well and I'm astonished by them every time I hear them.

A THX systems built round these speakers with a good sub or subs in my view would best 90% or more of HT systems and have very high WAF.

I would try and avoid putting your TV above the fireplace. That is a very irritating location and you should not use the fireplace when the fireplace is in use, unless it is one of those decorative jobs, that make no heat.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
1. Can a "fashion speaker" like Orb or Minx compete with the more traditional NHT (or similar) setup?
In my opinion, no. I own the Orbs and the Minx, so there is some perspective to that statement. The Minx speakers, with that incredible BMR driver, sound amazing, with imaging and detail that's belies their diminutive size. But they lack depth in the midrange. The Orbs suffer the same depth issue, and don't have anywhere near the soundstage of the Minx.

2. What 2.1 system would you recommend? (budget would be approx $1000 for a pair of speakers and the sub)
A few potential satellites to consider are:

A couple of subwoofers you could match with those satellites are:
I tried to provide a wide variation of size and price, in order to give you a bunch of possible combinations.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In my opinion, no. I own the Orbs and the Minx, so there is some perspective to that statement. The Minx speakers, with that incredible BMR driver, sound amazing, with imaging and detail that's belies their diminutive size. But they lack depth in the midrange. The Orbs suffer the same depth issue, and don't have anywhere near the soundstage of the Minx.

I tried to provide a wide variation of size and price, in order to give you a bunch of possible combinations.
All those speakers are toys compared to the ATC SCm 7s

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
All those speakers are toys compared to the ATC SCm 7s
Perhaps. But the OP could the 2.1 system he's looking for by selecting something from the "toys" list, whereas your suggestion doesn't afford him the ability to do that.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with TLS about the fireplace it's an awful place for a TV. If the budget allows I'd give a listen to the Ascend Acoustic Sierra-1 with the off-menu NRT tweeter upgrade. These are wonderful speakers with very high WAF. If that's too much money or you need more output then I'd look at their CMT-340SE.

There's no mention of room size but one you get the dimensions I'd contact SVSounds for a quote on a cylinder sub for the small footprint or Rythmik for box sub.

M

mickeyharlow

Audiophyte
Avoid TV over Fireplace

A 40 inch TV over the fireplace will look very small. Also, it not good for your neck to be looking up that high. A TV as well as the speakers should be eye level for TV and ear level for the speakers. See if you can relocate the TV.

Also, keep your equipment for the HT in the basement.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

A 40 inch TV over the fireplace will look very small. Also, it not good for your neck to be looking up that high. A TV as well as the speakers should be eye level for TV and ear level for the speakers. See if you can relocate the TV.

I don't think there is an absolute requirement for it to be in the basement, but your other comments are on target.

A dedicated room however is a huge advantage.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think there is an absolute requirement for it to be in the basement, but your other comments are on target.

A dedicated room however is a huge advantage.
I personally use the living room for my setup and run my wires under a nice rug. I realize sound is never ideal in this type of setup, but it's still way better than any HTIB. I think any space should be given the best sound possible regardless of function. Certainly that pair of speakers will do the job fantastically.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My starting point would be something like a pair of NHT Superzeros and either NHT's matching 8" sub, or SVS SB12-NSD (or comparable).
(budget would be approx $1000 for a pair of speakers and the sub)
Nothing wrong with that.

I would get 2 NHT Absolute Zero ($400 delivered) + 1 Rythmik FV12 (~ $565 delivered).

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 83 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 72 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 5.19 ohms at 192 Hz and a phase angle of –46.25 degrees at 111 Hz.

It's going to be almost impossible to beat that "+0.94/–0.82 decibels" response at any price points.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-absolute-zero-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Last edited:
K

klaberte

Enthusiast
Rear port?

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I note that several of the suggested speakers have rear ports, and are on the order of 9" deep. Since my mantle is 9" deep, my assumption is that those speakers will huff and puff, and no one will be happy. Aren't I better off with a sealed NHT or Intimus 4B, or similar? Note, I will have a subwoofer, probably crossed around 80-100 Hz.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
Above the fireplace

So, here is a picture of the room (we don't yet own the house, so sadly, the beautiful pictured furniture belongs to the seller, and isn't staying)

dl.dropbox.com/u/5722618/familyroom.JPG

As you can see, the options are above the fireplace, or in the corner. I have always been told that the corner is bad option for speaker placement, but am willing to be advised differently.

So, corner (with speaker location suggestions), or over fireplace?

K

klaberte

Enthusiast

I note that you do not include my original speakers, namely the NHT superzeros, or a svs sealed subwoofer. Do you think your suggestions are superior, or did you just not duplicate what I had written?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you are going to place the TV above the fireplace, to excercise your
neck and eyes - then front ported or sealed on the mantle. Also look
at flat panel, or on-wall type speakers..

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
then front ported or sealed on the mantle. Also look at flat panel, or on-wall type speakers..
+1

The port needs to have space, so rear ported is not a good idea in your case.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I would move the TV to the wall on the right opposite the window.

TV above a fireplace is 100% unacceptable, and TV in a corner is only slightly better than that.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I note that several of the suggested speakers have rear ports, and are on the order of 9" deep. Since my mantle is 9" deep, my assumption is that those speakers will huff and puff, and no one will be happy. Aren't I better off with a sealed NHT or Intimus 4B, or similar? Note, I will have a subwoofer, probably crossed around 80-100 Hz.
I typically prefer sealed speakers, but if you are putting them next to the wall you need to ask and make sure no Baffle Compensation is included. A good indicator can be sensitivity. I strongly encourage you put a nice art covered treatment behind the speakers. gik acoustics offers some options for this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis