Dolby vision and Samsung QLED

John520

John520

Enthusiast
Very close to pulling the trigger on a Samsung Qled TV. I know it supports HDR10+ and does not support dolby vision. So what does it do with this HDR signal?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Very close to pulling the trigger on a Samsung Qled TV. I know it supports HDR10+ and does not support dolby vision. So what does it do with this HDR signal?
What is your question? Its supports HDR10+ so I'm not understanding what you mean by 'what does it do with the HDR signal?' .

John520

John520

Enthusiast
I apologize my question wasn't clear. I want to know what the TV does when it receives a Dolby Vision signal. Does it display in SDR? Or it's own version of what it thinks Dolby Vision looks like?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Which model are you getting specifically?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I apologize my question wasn't clear. I want to know what the TV does when it receives a Dolby Vision signal. Does it display in SDR? Or it's own version of what it thinks Dolby Vision looks like?
It won't do anything with it. Depending on the source, they might be both streams. SDR on a good display is still very good. If you are planning on getting the display ISF done, you'll enjoy everything. Also note dolby vision might be irrelevant before long.

John520

John520

Enthusiast
It won't do anything with it. Depending on the source, they might be both streams. SDR on a good display is still very good. If you are planning on getting the display ISF done, you'll enjoy everything. Also note dolby vision might be irrelevant before long.
Do you recommend having an ISF calibration done?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also note dolby vision might be irrelevant before long.
I did a quick look-see and saw no sign DV was on its way out. Granted, HDR10+ looks to be gaining a little traction, but the adoption rate of DV looks solid, too, and is being expanded upon through their DV-IQ.
Of course, all this would be ideal if it wasn't taking the form of a format war, but still... time will tell. *shrugs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I did a quick look-see and saw no sign DV was on its way out. Granted, HDR10+ looks to be gaining a little traction, but the adoption rate of DV looks solid, too, and is being expanded upon through their DV-IQ.
Of course, all this would be ideal if it wasn't taking the form of a format war, but still... time will tell. *shrugs.
I have no knowledge of it going away and was speculating purely from a licensing cost standpoint. I'm also assuming that the next time I have to purchase a display that it will be TOL and have all the bells and whistles to use.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have no knowledge of it going away and was speculating purely from a licensing cost standpoint. I'm also assuming that the next time I have to purchase a display that it will be TOL and have all the bells and whistles to use.
Indeed, Dolby's licensing is "boxworthy," but they are doing it. Disney+ came in DV for me. Uncertain how big a difference that makes, but Disney+ and AppleTV... those alone are huge to have on their side.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Dolby Vision contains a base layer of HDR10, which is required to adhere to UHD specification. It would play the HDR10 metadata instead.

HDR10+ is worthless, almost no content made for it. Dolby Vision is far more prevalent and growing, not even close to going away lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The pass thru of HDR10+ is a new feature on AVRs. I know it’s supported on the specs of the new Yamahas coming out this summer. Those also will have HDMI2.1. I’m not clear if recent HDMI2.0b AVRs will be able to get firmware updates for pass thru of HDR10+ or not. It seems like they could though since all these AVRs already support Dolby Vision pass thru.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I also have a bunch of 4K UHD movies with HDR10 with Dolby Vision. Looks awesome!
6ABF43C4-B4F4-48D2-8B43-42DF204653D2.jpeg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The pass thru of HDR10+ is a new feature on AVRs. I know it’s supported on the specs of the new Yamahas coming out this summer. Those also will have HDMI2.1. I’m not clear if recent HDMI2.0b AVRs will be able to get firmware updates for pass thru of HDR10+ or not. It seems like they could though since all these AVRs already support Dolby Vision pass thru.
I have a Yamaha TSR/7790 it’s 5 years old, unit does support Dolby Vision HDR10 pass though.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a display that can resolve the full color gaumet and meet ISF standards, I'd love to know how many can discern SDR vs HDR at say 10' with a 65" display.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
If you have a display that can resolve the full color gaumet and meet ISF standards, I'd love to know how many can discern SDR vs HDR at say 10' with a 65" display.
HDR is a massive upgrade over SDR.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
HDR is a massive upgrade over SDR.
Yes, but that wasn't my question and while better, massive is debatable when done with the parameters I outlined. I've got a mid level Samsung in the bedroom and while I love the picture, it's still not better than the Pioneer Plasma in the living room, FWIW.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Yes, but that wasn't my question and while better, massive is debatable when done with the parameters I outlined. I've got a mid level Samsung in the bedroom and while I love the picture, it's still not better than the Pioneer Plasma in the living room, FWIW.
Cool. But a good 4K TV that's calibrated can do both SDR and HDR.

I had a plasma, but both the Z9D and A9G are far superior and there's no looking back. To each their own.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cool. But a good 4K TV that's calibrated can do both SDR and HDR.

I had a plasma, but both the Z9D and A9G are far superior and there's no looking back. To each their own.
I agree with the TOL models, I was shooting for the mid/lower units and the thought of it's better. Some aspects maybe, but as stated I can't see an overwhelming improvement with those models. Distance vs size will also play a role. I'm not advocating for anything just sharing an experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis