Dolby True HD/Atmos in DVD-A’s MLP for some downloads

H

HT Tweeker

Enthusiast
Hi all. I’ve downloaded a couple UHD movies that say are in True HD/Atmos but when I play them on my Sony X700 UHD player, the player says audio not supported and I have to use the Dolby digital track instead. I’ve downloaded one 1080p movie in True HD/Atmos that, when played back on my Oppo 103D, comes up as MLP but then flips over to atmos on my Yamaha A2070. I’m wondering if the UHD ones I’ve downloaded are also encoded in MLP and that’s why my Sony won’t play it back, since it doesn’t decode DVD-Audio like my Oppo does? Hopefully I’m not the only one. Don’t want to have to buy another UHD player that decodes MLP, but looks like I might have to.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an x700 also. Iirc, it does not playback M2TS unless converted, and even then it only does so in 5/7.1 and has to be upconverted. For some reason it only likes MKV files. It also doesn’t support Atmos on Vudu but that’s because I have a 1080 display. Netflix doesn’t support the 700. Dumb...
Probably not much help, but that’s all I got!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, even if I’ve selected the right track on the 700, I always verify with the “info” button for my Marantz AVR and sometimes I have to push the green “movie” button to make sure I’m in the right sound mode.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Have you considered Nvidia Shield Pro? Might be cheaper then a UHD player. It will play your files from USB memory stick or network drive via Kodi or Plex.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis