Dolby surround vs DTS Neural X?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Which do you prefer and which does a better job at extracting height information from 5.1/7.1
material?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think you will find a large number of people on this site that use 1 let along both formats. I use Atmos, haven't even tried DTS-X. I don't use the simulate ATMOS or DTS-X modes, only for content that supports it.

While support for Blu-Ray is still low for ATMOS, it is anemic for DTS-X

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Which-Blu-ray-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Discs-Have-DTS-X.shtml

ATMOS
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/experience/dolby-atmos/bluray-and-streaming.html
http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-movies/

I believe that the list for ATMOS is larger this list, but not by a lot

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Dolby/DTS/Surround_Sound/height-speakers/Dolby_Atmos/dtsx/Denon/KEF/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo/Sony/avr/av-receiver/Surround_Sound/upmixed-dolby-surround-v-dtsneuralx/32382
Thought this was an interesting read. Might provide a little insight.

Not directly related, but iirc the old school dts, DD battle was really only about compression schemes. Dolbys 17:1 vs dts' 9:1. Those numbers are out of my memory so...
Even though both formats now are lossless, I think dolby still has the upper hand due to dialnorm and dynamic range compression, things that dts is lacking.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
From my personal listening, DSU seems to do a better job of accuracy in its extraction and Nueral-X seems to take a more aggressive approach to placing sounds into the height channels.
Personally I use DSU for everything but Music, I've been quite pleased and sometimes surprised how accurate the height extraction can be.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Even though both formats now are lossless, I think dolby still has the upper hand due to dialnorm and dynamic range compression, things that dts is lacking.

Agree on that front. Dolby tracks have a predictable volume level, dts doesn't always and IIRC is mixed louder. I haven't had the chance to compare dts x to atmos yet.

AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
I've personally had a mix bag but I believe many factors come into play that aren't being discussed. For my testing I used a Yamaha RXA1050, next week I'll have more testing on a 3060. When using the 1050 I noticed that if the audio master of the movie was well put together it really would make a huge difference for example KING KONG on DTS NX was astonishing while other movies that didn't have such a great track faired better with Nueral X off same with DOlBY S. I will say I had more consistent results though with DOLBY S where if the Native track wasn't that great I still had a slightly better experience with it on.

The other thing and maybe this just applies to Yamaha but it seems like the 2015 line up was able to process the new formats via firmware update. However the sound processing sounds to be much better in 2016 lineup due to the chip architecture overhaul That was done for the **60 models. I'm curious if this is something that has been observed with other manufacturers.

I had read in a editorial on Audioholics that DOLBY S and DTSNX did a fine job with last gen formats but I was surprised to get the mixed bag I was getting with the 1050. I'm thinking it's probably having to do with what I stated above. From the few hours I've spent with the 3060 it's significantly better but I've just only heard it on Native Atmos.

Many were saying that it wouldn't be too much of a difference but that's not the case at all.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I have a question about DTS auto surround: in my settings for DTS: It goes like this: DTS auto surround, on or off? at the bottom of the OSD it says: quote: "set to "off" to disable the mode which switches to the optimum processing automatically for input DTS signal and speaker setting". For some reason I am drawing a brain fart on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, It was hard enough on me to adjust to the 5.1 when it first came out, now I am getting ready to add one more sub plus rear surrounds plus front height speakers to enjoy 5.2.2 or 7.2. So leave DTS on or off?

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I have a question about DTS auto surround: in my settings for DTS: It goes like this: DTS auto surround, on or off? at the bottom of the OSD it says: quote: "set to "off" to disable the mode which switches to the optimum processing automatically for input DTS signal and speaker setting". For some reason I am drawing a brain fart on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, It was hard enough on me to adjust to the 5.1 when it first came out, now I am getting ready to add one more sub plus rear surrounds plus front height speakers to enjoy 5.2.2 or 7.2. So leave DTS on or off?
I believe all that does is switch neural x on with DTS legacy inputs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, so after some time with both DTS Neural X and Dolby surround, I've come to the conclusion that neither is better or worse than the other. I sort of prefer DSU simply because it does a much better job of grabbing ambiance like rain, wind, and birds chirping. Neural X seems to take a more direct approach. I'm not really sure where the reviewer got that dts nx was more aggressive and much louder, because that hasn't been my experience. For the most part the heights are relatively toned down. I can't decide which one is more accurate at identifying overhead sounds. DTS nx seems to wait for something it thinks should come from above then pushes it up, while DSU seems to expand the entire sound stage vertically.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I believe all that does is switch neural x on with DTS legacy inputs.

Thanks a bunch! I figured it had to do with DTS:X. Since this is my first unit that has this format processing wasn"t sure.

Akila

Akila

Audiophyte
I know this topic was discussed many times before all over the internet. however, rarely if at all I saw any reference on two uses cases that are in my interest. so i am hoping to get an answer here:

Use case 1: Stereo 2.0 content with a 5.1/7.1 speakers layout
Use case 2: rather to use an upmix on 5.1 content in a 5.1 speaker layout.

1. what’s different about Dolby Surround and Neural:X on my specific use case? i.e. Which one works better with Stereo 2.0 content with a 5.1/7.1 speakers layout?

2. if i have a 5.1 speaker layout, is there any added value using the Dolby Surround upmixer / DTS Neural:X upmixer for a 5.1 content (e.g. DD / DTS)?
and if so , which one would most likely result best (5.1 content on 5.1 speaker layout with what upmix mode/technology)? would it enhance anything?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis