dolby pl IIx settings??

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
so this has been driving me nuts for a while. on my xbox360 when i go to play a game i get 4 choices when cycling through audio settings (using my denon 4311ci): dolby digital, dd ex, dolby digital + pl IIX cinema, and dd + pl IIX music. why can't i get pl IIX game? i am noticing i am straining to hear the dialog in games, and i think it may be the format, perhaps game would be clearer :confused:

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
There is no such thing as PLIIx Game, just use the PLIIx Cinema mode if you have more than 5.1, if you have 5.1 or fewer speakers, just use Dolby Digital.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is no such thing as PLIIx Game, just use the PLIIx Cinema mode if you have more than 5.1, if you have 5.1 or fewer speakers, just use Dolby Digital.
Sure there is. My cheap-o Pioneer VSX-521K has it. Even my very old kenwood has PLII Game mode. That would be very odd for the 4311 to have omitted that feature.

I would post a link, but I'm too new...:(

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You may have to reset your unit. In all the years I sold A/V I haven't seen a surround mode disappear. Granted things have changed since I did, but that would be very odd. Maybe do the microprocessor reset? I'd have for you to have to reconfigure everything though...Doesn't DTS Neo6 have a game mode?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I stand corrected... My Yamaha's don't have a PLIIx Game mode, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just use the standard dolby digital or DD EX mode.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I stand corrected... My Yamaha's don't have a PLIIx Game mode, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just use the standard dolby digital or DD EX mode.
It does help with a few things. It takes dialog that would normally be just the center and output some from the L & R channels. That's really the only reason I ever use it. That is usually with something like the Wii that doesn't have a DD, DTS, or Multichannel PCM output. Those sources don't really need much help IMHO.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
It does help with a few things. It takes dialog that would normally be just the center and output some from the L & R channels. That's really the only reason I ever use it. That is usually with something like the Wii that doesn't have a DD, DTS, or Multichannel PCM output. Those sources don't really need much help IMHO.
i should clarify that "game" mode didnt disappear, i have never had it in the first place for xbox. the way i would assume it works is for ANY source that you could use plIIX for you should be able to choose from any of the three - cinema, music or game. but this may not be the case? i don't understand why for xbox360 it lets me pull up only 2 of the three (and it REALLY makes no sense that the only one it omits for a video game is game????). anyways i think you guys are right, DD may be a better setting anyways.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Within the Dolby Pro Logic IIx standards, there is a Game mode..
However the brand may not have included this as it was not a mandatory requirement for an AVR. Dolby Pro Logic IIx Game Mode is the same as Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode, except the bass management is augmented to fully capture the impact of special effects panned to the surround channels.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It takes dialog that would normally be just the center and output some from the L & R channels.
You can simulate the same behavior by using PLII (or PLIIx) Music mode and adjusting the Center Width value.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
Within the Dolby Pro Logic IIx standards, there is a Game mode..
However the brand may not have included this as it was not a mandatory requirement for an AVR. Dolby Pro Logic IIx Game Mode is the same as Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode, except the bass management is augmented to fully capture the impact of special effects panned to the surround channels.

Just my $0.02.. ;)
which would make sense except as i said above, the denon manual clearly states there IS a game mode? i have emailed denon on this just out of curiosity, i will post the response when i get it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
which would make sense except as i said above, the denon manual clearly states there IS a game mode? i have emailed denon on this just out of curiosity, i will post the response when i get it.

As mentioned previously don't know specifically about each brand/model...
One needs to check directly with the brand and/or respective Operation Guide. Also note that Dolby Pro Logic II has a Game mode option as well..

About 6 years back...
The game producers were just starting to implement surround audio tracks...
In fact I recall Sony hired one of Dolby's product directors to pursue surround audio for their PlayStation.. Also since the X-Box actually included an on-board Dolby Digital 5.1 emulator this raised the bar significantly for the game segment including surround audio..

Just my $0.02... ;)

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i think you may be on the right track, M. i have a feeling that it is not letting me use "game" mode because the game is encoded in 5.1 so it is throwing me into dolby plIIx cinema or music mode. i think plIIx game might be a throwback to early video games that weren't encoded in surround format? or maybe not... will find out hopefully from denon. BTW this is just one of those things that doesn't matter a hill of beans to me, but has become more of a curiosity thing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nope, you can use game mode with 5.1 sources also. If you are using output that is 6.1 or higher, that may explain it, but you wouldn't be able to pl IIx at all. You really have a strange one. I haven't seen a receiver just not give the option to use a sound mode.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
mystery solved. from denon:

If you look at page 87 of the owner's manual, you will see that when you take a 5.1 signal and allow it to process it to 7.1, Game is not supported. Only Cinema and Music are supported formats.

i could respond to them that first i would have to find someone that could translate page 87 (or any other page of the manual) into anything slightly resembling english.... :rolleyes:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
mystery solved. from denon:

If you look at page 87 of the owner's manual, you will see that when you take a 5.1 signal and allow it to process it to 7.1, Game is not supported. Only Cinema and Music are supported formats.

i could respond to them that first i would have to find someone that could translate page 87 (or any other page of the manual) into anything slightly resembling english.... :rolleyes:
That's pretty strange. Now you've got me wondering if mine supports game when getting a 5.1 signal.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...i could respond to them that first i would have to find someone that could translate page 87 (or any other page of the manual) into anything slightly resembling english.... :rolleyes:
The one and only BATPIG!! ;)

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
The one and only BATPIG!! ;)
oh believe me i know. i have a small shrine built to that man. unfortunately his guide does not go as in depth as to include things like this. if denon had any sense, they would hire him to do all their tech manuals.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
oh believe me i know. i have a small shrine built to that man. unfortunately his guide does not go as in depth as to include things like this. if denon had any sense, they would hire him to do all their tech manuals.
They should hire him to revamp their firmware while they're at it. I haven't gotten to play with any of the newer GUI's, but their older GUI-less receivers setup didn't make a whole lot of sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis