Dolby Digital from Netflix?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
So, is there any video streaming service out there that streams DD which will work on my network player? Should I return my player to Best Buys? Or, should I cancel Netflix? I like the convenience of the player and Netflix but I'm spoiled on DTS and Dolby Digital, and now listening in stereo is just awful. Dolby Pro Logic does not help much.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Why not just grab a PS3? Especially considering your obvious love of Sony products. There are very few Blu-ray players that can compete with the PS3, and only one other Netflix option that gets DD 5.1.

Seems like a no-brainer from my perspective.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So, is there any video streaming service out there that streams DD which will work on my network player? Should I return my player to Best Buys? Or, should I cancel Netflix? I like the convenience of the player and Netflix but I'm spoiled on DTS and Dolby Digital, and now listening in stereo is just awful. Dolby Pro Logic does not help much.
Well I'd for sure return it because they sold you last years model. Whether the new SMP-N200 is as good or better than a Roku 2 XS I have no idea. I considered both before settling on the Roku just because it had the services that I like. A PS3 is your best choice for Netflix but it's other viewing choices are still very limited. BTW Netflix doesn't have a lot of HD streaming content yet. It may come but it's going to take time.

S

sterling shoote

All,

I guess it was the Netflix sales message that made me think I needed to get with it. They promised an instant and economical route to a huge selection of movies. But, having accepted their trial offer, I have discovered their selection of stream-able films is largely from the B list which does not interest me, So, I'm thinking, even if titles were available in DD, and even if I had a PS3 to decode it, what's the point. After all, since leisure time is a luxury for me, why waste such precious time with an unsatisfying experience. Sure, there's no question Netflix has quantity for cheap; but, until they stream the stuff I'm really looking for in surround sound, for a more immersive experience, I'll just continue purchasing the movies which have aroused my curiosity on BD at Best Buys.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It entirely depends on what you watch. There's a LOT of stuff on there to watch, but only if they have what you're interested in. I don't watch a lot of movies on there, so there's plenty for me to watch.

S

sterling shoote

Sure, there's plenty to watch; but, for me, the expected experience includes 5.1 surround sound. I didn't put together a magnificent HT to watch/listen to movies in stereo. I've been there and done that 20 years ago. My mistake here, was assuming that the Sony Network Player would deliver Dolby Digital since it's box and the guy at Best Buys said it would; and, second, assuming that Netflix would be streaming in Dolby Digital which would sync to the Sony SMP-N100. Heck, were my assumptions a stretch? I don't think so, after all even my cable service routinely delivers Dolby 5.1. The bottom line is the concept of Home Theatre is a big picture and big sound. And, with this being a Home Theatre Forum, I'd think contributors here would be empathetic of my observation. At any rate, I hope both Netflix and Sony can get their you know what together.

Last edited:
Z

zuki76

Audiophyte
Not sure what the problem with others getting DD+, My Panasonic BD player streams in DD+ with no problem for maybe a month now must be just a firmware release issue?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what the problem with others getting DD+, My Panasonic BD player streams in DD+ with no problem for maybe a month now must be just a firmware release issue?
But is it streaming Netflix in DD+ 5.1? And if so what were you watching? I know that Netflix has a limited selection of movies that they offer with 5.1 sound through a PS3. Perhaps they are starting to extend that to other devices.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I setup a Roku 2 with a Denon 2112 at work the other day and DD+ streamed just fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis