Dolby Digital from Netflix?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I purchased a Sony streaming media player today. Then, I signed up for Netflex. So far, the movies I've streamed are 16/44 PCM stereo. I expected Dolby Digital. What's up with that?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I purchased a Sony streaming media player today. Then, I signed up for Netflex. So far, the movies I've streamed are 16/44 PCM stereo. I expected Dolby Digital. What's up with that?
As far as I'm aware only the Play Station 3 has DD.

S

sterling shoote

My network media player from Sony is the SMP-N100. On page 19 of its operating instructions there are audio setting instructions (which I followed) when connecting to audio devices with built-in Dolby Digital decoders. My Sony TA-E9000ES has such a decoder, yet, all I get on its display is PCM 16/44.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My network media player from Sony is the SMP-N100. On page 19 of its operating instructions there are audio setting instructions (which I followed) when connecting to audio devices with built-in Dolby Digital decoders. My Sony TA-E9000ES has such a decoder, yet, all I get on its display is PCM 16/44.
It's not a player problem it's a Netflix problem. While your player may be capable of Dolby Digital from other services as far as I know Netflix still only allows 720P and Dolby 5.1 to play on a PS3. That may change someday but I wouldn't hold my breath. FWIW my Roku 2 XS is capable of 1080P and 5.1 sound but not with Netflix. The picture and sound from my PlayStation 3 are much better. Once Netflix changes its policy I suspect it will require a firmware update.

BTW the latest model of Sony Player (new this month) is the SMP-N200.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Trusting your observation, it appears that I've connected everything correctly. I am somewhat miffed by the lack of disclosure from both Sony and Netflix on the matter. After all, today's movies in stereo, what a disappointment.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is not a lack of disclosure, ALL devices, including PCs, have been stereo only since Netflix started. It wasn't until they released the update to the PS3 earlier this year that 5.1 capability was even seen from them. There are updates coming for other players that are supposed to be able to add this functionality as well, but not all players will likely have this and you'll need to check for your specific player. I would expect new players coming out going forward will also either already have this ability or will have it added soon as well.

No offense, and IMHO, but that's WAY too much Sony in your signature.

S

sterling shoote

This is not a lack of disclosure, ALL devices, including PCs, have been stereo only since Netflix started. It wasn't until they released the update to the PS3 earlier this year that 5.1 capability was even seen from them. There are updates coming for other players that are supposed to be able to add this functionality as well, but not all players will likely have this and you'll need to check for your specific player. I would expect new players coming out going forward will also either already have this ability or will have it added soon as well.

No offense, and IMHO, but that's WAY too much Sony in your signature.
My network media player supports both Dolby Digital as well as DTS.; and, I hope to hear something soon. And regarding my sig, well, that's what's in my HT today

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My network media player supports both Dolby Digital as well as DTS.; and, I hope to hear something soon. And regarding my sig, well, that's what's in my HT today
I suspect that one of the reasons that Netflix is going slow with improving their video and audio quality is a desire to minimize bandwidth requirements to avoid any more push back from ISPs. Remember as an all you can eat service customers are tempted to stream movies as little more than background noise. Many cable ISPs already had caps in place and AT&T recently slapped their DSL and Uverse customers with caps because they don't want Netflix competing with their cable TV services. In addition not all Netflix customers have fast enough speed to support better quality so the bottom line is that they are shooting for the lowest common denominator - compressed 480P and stereo. As someone with super high speeds and no caps I wish they'd hurry up with better quality but I also suspect that all you can eat for $8/mo won't be sustainable once their average customer is eating up 150-200GB+/mo.

PCMag: Netflix Eats Up 20 Percent Of U.S. Downstream Bandwidth

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looked up the SMP-N100 and it says there is only one firmware update for this player and does not mention any updates relative to Netflix.

AT&T already had caps, they just started telling people about it.

Netflix streams in up to 1080i, but your connection speed determines the max you will get at any given time. PQ with most recent stuff is actually quite good and the 5.1 DD+ streams are surprisingly good in most cases as well.

S

sterling shoote

It appears, I'm receiving Netflix at 1080p. Still, I'm disappointed that it's in stereo rather than DD. Like it's the 1980's or something.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The Roku 2 does indeed give you Dolby Digital from Netflix. It is, however, DD+ and my receiver appearently doesn't support that. When I select 5.1 audio on Netflix I get nothing but a strange static noise.

I gave the Roku to my parents. I like my Xbox better. I wish the Xbox would do 5.1 from Netflix. Why does the PS3 get it and not the Xbox???

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Looked up the SMP-N100 and it says there is only one firmware update for this player and does not mention any updates relative to Netflix.

AT&T already had caps, they just started telling people about it.

Netflix streams in up to 1080i, but your connection speed determines the max you will get at any given time. PQ with most recent stuff is actually quite good and the 5.1 DD+ streams are surprisingly good in most cases as well.
I stand corrected I just saw an article saying that they were up to 720P (some of it) on Roku etc and 1080P on the PS3. Picture quality on my PS3 is pretty good (so-so on my Roku 2 XS) for the most part but some videos have been unwatchable. Maybe it's the source.

S

sterling shoote

The Roku 2 does indeed give you Dolby Digital from Netflix. It is, however, DD+ and my receiver appearently doesn't support that. When I select 5.1 audio on Netflix I get nothing but a strange static noise.

I gave the Roku to my parents. I like my Xbox better. I wish the Xbox would do 5.1 from Netflix. Why does the PS3 get it and not the Xbox???

How do you select 5.1 on Netflix? I've seen nothing to click to select anything regarding audio.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

How do you select 5.1 on Netflix? I've seen nothing to click to select anything regarding audio.
If you have a PS3 and use netflix and have your system settings set properly you will get Dolby 5.1 when available. There is nothing to click or setting to change with in netflix. Again currently you MUST have a PS3 for 5.1 audio from netflix.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I suspect that one of the reasons that Netflix is going slow with improving their video and audio quality is a desire to minimize bandwidth requirements to avoid any more push back from ISPs. Remember as an all you can eat service customers are tempted to stream movies as little more than background noise. Many cable ISPs already had caps in place and AT&T recently slapped their DSL and Uverse customers with caps because they don't want Netflix competing with their cable TV services. In addition not all Netflix customers have fast enough speed to support better quality so the bottom line is that they are shooting for the lowest common denominator - compressed 480P and stereo. As someone with super high speeds and no caps I wish they'd hurry up with better quality but I also suspect that all you can eat for $8/mo won't be sustainable once their average customer is eating up 150-200GB+/mo.

PCMag: Netflix Eats Up 20 Percent Of U.S. Downstream Bandwidth
Uverse for $8/mo?! I pay like 60 hehe, but I have the max turbo or whatever it's called with 24 down (although I actually get 22 down... oh well)

Yeah, I still rent from Blockbuster if I care about picture and sound because I want the blu-ray. If it just some background stuff or an old movie I don't care.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
On the Roku 2 you have to select 5.1 audio under the captions and audio options for each title you want to play. There is no master setting to default to 5.1 audio. It is another annoying problem.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
On the PS3, I don't think you choose anything, it just automatically streams 5.1 if it is available for a title, because I don't recall setting anything when they added the 5.1 titles.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
On the PS3, I don't think you choose anything, it just automatically streams 5.1 if it is available for a title, because I don't recall setting anything when they added the 5.1 titles.
I recall having to select 5.1 the first time, as it defaulted to the stereo soundtrack. After picking it, though, it uses 5.1 as the default now.

S

sterling shoote

I've set the Sony SMP-N100 for both DTS and Dolby Digital per the operator's manual. I've also set my Sony TA-E9000ES to receive Dolby Digital and DTS. And, testing with my Panasonic BD-80 and 5.1/DTS disc to either Toslink or coaxial I am getting a Dolby 3/2 effect according to the TA-E9000ES display. But, so far, as contributors here have suggested, Dolby Digital from Netflix has not been possible. All I get is either 16/48 or 16/44 PCM. I'm going to contact Netflix by phone later today to find out when Dolby Digital will be possible from my network player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis