Dolby Atmos upgrade....Jamo speakers dillema.I need help

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
Hello.My current set up is made of Jamo C 809 fronts,C80 Cen,C80 surrounds and 2 Jamo S 622 back surrounds.In the near future I would like to upgrade my av receiver and my speaker system to be able to play Dolby Atmos movie soundtracks.So,I'm looking for some Jamo speakers to hang them by the ceiling.My question is wich type of speaker should I get in order to play atmos soundtraks?I cannot make holes in the ceiling to accommodate instalation speakers.Does it have to come from the same manufacturer?Thanks

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself would skip atmos and upgrade something that is more worth your well earned money. I myself don't really see reason to upgrade for atmos or any similar technology as it doesn't offer much.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I think you will see quite a few disks released with the Atmos tech. Hopefully it will get more support than 7.1 received.
I am converting from a 7.1 system to 5.1.4 Atmos. I'm doing it by installing(today) an additional 2 ceiling speakers and reassigning a pair of front surrounds.
From what I understand, there are 2 kinds of ATMOS speakers: ATMOS enabled and regular speakers used for ATMOS. You do not need to buy the specially made speakers...you can utilize ceiling or small bookshelf(satellite)speakers and reflect them off the ceiling. It is preferable to place them up as high as possible.
The other issue is the crossover setting. I have read that it should be set to 120 or higher(160?), so that all they are receiving is the intended object based sound effect....no bass.
I'm guessing it's a matter of experimenting.
I do not know what happens to the Atmos assigned speakers when you are playing non-atmos material. I would imagine they can then be reverted back on crossover point.
I'm new at this also, but movies are my main use of my setup and I'm anxious to try something new.

Keep us posted about what you learn and what you decide.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello.My current set up is made of Jamo C 809 fronts,C80 Cen,C80 surrounds and 2 Jamo S 622 back surrounds.In the near future I would like to upgrade my av receiver and my speaker system to be able to play Dolby Atmos movie soundtracks.So,I'm looking for some Jamo speakers to hang them by the ceiling.My question is wich type of speaker should I get in order to play atmos soundtraks?I cannot make holes in the ceiling to accommodate instalation speakers.Does it have to come from the same manufacturer?Thanks
How many speakers are you looking for- the front up-firing pair and four high-mounted speakers? The C803 is still available by special order and the S622 is generally available and if needed, they can be had in white.

You'll need to decide how you want to assign the speakers- in a small room, you don't need a lot of speakers.

cristisabo_28

cristisabo_28

Junior Audioholic
How many speakers are you looking for- the front up-firing pair and four high-mounted speakers? The C803 is still available by special order and the S622 is generally available and if needed, they can be had in white.

You'll need to decide how you want to assign the speakers- in a small room, you don't need a lot of speakers.
From my current 7.1 setup I want to get to 7.2.2 setup,so I must add 2 high mounted speakers and a extra sub.My room is 7 m long ,4,5 m wide and 2,6 m high(I live in Europe so is the metric system) :)Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
From my current 7.1 setup I want to get to 7.2.2 setup,so I must add 2 high mounted speakers and a extra sub.My room is 7 m long ,4,5 m wide and 2,6 m high(I live in Europe so is the metric system) :)Thanks
I would try to use speakers that are similar to your main ones, but it's not easy when they come up with new formats after people buy their equipment.

Your Metric units don't scare me! (I have used Metric since 1970)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's a Klipsch R-112SW.Thanks

More than any Atmos configuration, quality, well balanced bass reproduction will ALWAYS be perceived better than a dozen speakers firing in all directions. I would dedicate at least $1500-$3000 on a pair (or more) of quality subwoofers.

Its not cheap, but if you can justify 9-12 speakers hanging in your room, surely you owe it to yourself to give all those high notes a solid foundation to play from?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis