Dolby atmos speakers

Booner

Booner

Enthusiast
Thinking of going to a 5.2.2 system .If I only use two Atmos speakers instead of four
will I still notice a difference? I could go 5.2.4 in ceiling,but it would be squeezing my AV budget.
Besides my wife would probably kill mefor cutting up the ceiling and wall! Been thinking about the Denon AVR x2200W. I need some guidance please!!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Booner,
Disclaimer Upfront: I have only studied about and not installed Atmos in my HT.
That said; yes, you should notice a difference assuming the elements in the delivery chain support Atmos, i.e. Atmos content sent into an Atmos capable receiver.

The analogy I would offer is going from a 3.1 (L/C/R + sub) system to a 5.1 (as before + side surrounds) system is clearly noticeable (same assumption as stated above), even if you don't go the "whole enchilada" route of 7.1 system with back surrounds as well.

The most important factor in selecting 5.2.2 versus 5.2.4 is the room (size and shape) in conjunction with the seating position. I recommend taking a look at the Dolby Atmos literature to help guide your decision.
- In a nutshell, the smaller the room or the less central the seating position the more likely a 5.2.2 will be the better (and cheaper) solution set.

If you provide room specifics, forum members can probably help more.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Booner

Booner

Enthusiast
My room dimensions are 13'6" by 18'6" .The ceiling is 8".

Thanks! Xeagle driver!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
My room dimensions are 13'6" by 18'6" .The ceiling is 8".
Booner,
Your room size is very similar to mine. However, in my HT the display is mounted on the long 18 ft wall with the seating position about 3/4 of the way across the room's 13 ft depth.

In my room's configuration, I concluded a 5.2.2 is the more appropriate Atmos option, since I can not get the proper angles for the rear most Atmos speakers in a 5.2.4 and do not want to have an out-of-design parameter Atmos speaker configuration or expend extra speaker cost to force a poor design.

If you have the display mounted on the shorter wall (the 13 ft one) and have more room behind your seating position than I do, then you may have more Atmos options.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis