Dolby atmos speakers placement

M

marleyvl

Audiophyte
Hi guys, i’m Matias from Argentina, so excuse me about my English.
I was thinking about adding a pair of speakers, to move from my 5.1 configuration to a 5.1.2 configuration. Currently, I own a set "polk tl1600" and a "yamaha rx-a860" receiver. My idea is to add 1 set of "polk tl1" (the same as the satellites) on my ceiling, to get dolby atmos sound.
The question is: if I put this new set in the position indicated in the image ... will the dolby atmos effect be good? or should they be just above my head? Can I use this set of speakers (polk tl1) for dolby atmos?

(the tv and the speakers were from the previous owner of the department, but the couch and tv will be in the same places)

Thanks! :)
audioholics 2 ok.jpg
audioholics 1.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, ideally they’d be over your head and just in front like this:

However, SVS sells the prime elevation speakers which mount similar to what your asking. I can’t say how effective they are, but given the option, I would say you should go into/on the ceiling in the proper locations for the best effect. Dolby says speakers with wide dispersion(45deg from center) of 90deg. This is a hard spec to find. I have a pair of Polk rc85i in one of my rooms, and while I don’t know if they’d match perfectly, I can say they sound good. You may however like round ones better as they play to the aesthetics of ceilings better.(most of the time). Ok. That’s all I got.

M

marleyvl

Audiophyte
Thanks william! The SVS speakers looks great! I think im going to buy the svs. They are just what I need, they have better aesthetics.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! Make sure to report back with how you like them, and how they do with Atmos content. SVS has a well deserved reputation, and by all counts you should like them. You might find yourself adding a few more SVS speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis