Dolby Atmos Speaker Placement

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
First off it's your home 2 man and the wife should not dictate weather you can have more speakers or not especially since in ceiling speakers disappear into the ceiling and no one stares at the ceiling anyway. Thats a bunch of crap and I would put my foot down. We all have to live our lives and if you love home theater she needs to respect that to a point. You also have to show respect and not JUNK up the room to the point she is uncomfortable . Tasteful choices are better then not having.
Atmos needs to be placed correctly. I'm no fan of up firing speakers, They look stupid and don't work no where near as well as actual in ceiling speakers do placed correctly. Usually with in ceiling speakers you can either place them exact or damn close to perfect. This way you get the best experience and I gotta tell you Atmos is the best overall home theater experience since Dolby went from Pro logic to Digital. it's incredible and if you can pull it off go for it man. Tell her I said so LOL.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I have a big room with sloped ceilings so whatever I do it’s difficult. When I wanted to try Atmos I bought a set of upfiring speakers they went back to bestbuy a couple of hours later. My ceiling is also wood with about a space of about a foot between roof and ceiling. So what I did was take a couple of bookshelf speakers and mounted them directly above my seating and pointed them directly facing down. Not sure if that is proper but seems to work

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have a big room with sloped ceilings so whatever I do it’s difficult. When I wanted to try Atmos I bought a set of upfiring speakers they went back to bestbuy a couple of hours later. My ceiling is also wood with about a space of about a foot between roof and ceiling. So what I did was take a couple of bookshelf speakers and mounted them directly above my seating and pointed them directly facing down. Not sure if that is proper but seems to work
You should not have your ceiling speakers pointed directly down unless you seat right under them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might try these? IMO they look a little more elegant than BS speakers on the ceiling. Ymmv of course.
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-60-series

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis