Dolby Atmos: First Placement Preference

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
CF7AA172-44EE-4F77-A13C-E8F5F81558D2.jpegB366A611-B45B-4733-8BF5-53E00101DBC8.jpeg979C7A37-EA96-40C8-8130-ACBD978307E8.jpeg

I have a very small room 5.1 setup with Klipsch r28f’s, Klipsch r15m’s, Klipsch r25c, and the Klipsch R12SW. I am unable to mount to the ceiling. I’m looking to place two Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers (they are Klipsch and are able to be used as surround as well). Where would you place them?

I’ve heard some are underwhelmed with up-firing from the fronts so I’m debating between upper wall of the floor standing, the upper wall of the surrounds which is closest to MLP, or up-firing atop either the bookshelf’s or front. I was thinking maybe mounting to the upper wall behind the surrounds because they’re closer to me and I feel like I would intercept the sound better plus I also have a ceiling fan in the center of the room I feel like the fronts might bounce off of and deflect completely. I know you’re supposed to apply to the front ones first though... Just looking for opinions on what you would do if it were you and you weren’t planning on adding any more to your setup anytime soon to enjoy Atmos as much as possible with two new enabled Dolby Atmos speakers. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Others will have much more experience here, but if you can do wall mounted speakers angled towards you, as I understand it, you'll have better success than with the up-firing speaker modules. Wall mount should take the fan out of the equation, too.

As for placement, top-front position should be first, iirc, followed by top-back.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would try and mount them in front for a 5.1.2 system. Even still, you’ll need to try different heights above the mains or different angles to make they’re bouncing off the ceiling at a correct angle. Think bank shots in pool. Definitely do not mount behind the surrounds. That location might be closer to you but that’s not the point. Atmos works by phantom imaging between ceiling speakers and bed layer speakers. In upfiring applications, there is a frequency response notch to help the with the illusion that sound is coming from above you. This makes it much more difficult to place, and as such people have as you said, had poor results. If you can’t go on/in the ceiling my second choice would be, as mentioned, something like SVS’s prime elevation speakers or something like that mounted about 30°in front of you. If you have to do the bounce house, take great care to find a good angle that will hit the LP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can’t remember what angle AE speakers fire at, but this cartoon image might help illustrate what I was trying to say.

It just kinda shows what might happen by tailor lowering them. You could probably do the same thing by simply tipping them forward or backwards slightly.

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
Others will have much more experience here, but if you can do wall mounted speakers angled towards you, as I understand it, you'll have better success than with the up-firing speaker modules. Wall mount should take the fan out of the equation, too.

As for placement, top-front position should be first, iirc, followed by top-back.
Thanks so much this is what I was leaning towards!

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
I can’t remember what angle AE speakers fire at, but this cartoon image might help illustrate what I was trying to say.

It just kinda shows what might happen by tailor lowering them. You could probably do the same thing by simply tipping them forward or backwards slightly.
You have no idea how greatly I appreciate you taking the time to even draw that out! I’ve purchased the Klipsch RP 140SA’s that can act as surround as well as being Dolby Atmos Enabled or upfiring. From what I’ve seen many have had success mounting up high rather than trying to bounce. I feel it would be practically impossible for me to find the exact angle and height to achieve that. Lol Not really time I want to spend doing that.. so since acting as surround/Dolby Atmos Enabled that most people have preferred wall mounted over atop speakers I wouldn’t need to angle them towards the ceiling (backwards basically) as the others just mounted them straight forward up high and were much more satisfied with them. Am just struggling with where exactly to place them. So for high wall mounted speakers between side walls, back wall behind surrounds, or front wall above standings you’d recommend above the front first for best overall immersiveness with Atmos aside from ceiling mounted of course? I believe this is what Dolby has recommended also.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do have to admit, I made that cave drawing awhile back for another thread bought thought it would work here too. Lol
Well I definitely understand not wanting to try and find the best angle from the front wall. That would be a lot of trial and error. I actually think high and on the sides would be better anyway. Much more like a real in ceiling installation. Probably like 2-3’ in front of your LP(listening position). Definitely not anywhere behind you.

This is kinda what you’d be trying to do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Could you shoot a pic towards the back of the room? It’s a little hard to see the installation and scale of the surrounds.

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
I do have to admit, I made that cave drawing awhile back for another thread bought thought it would work here too. Lol
Well I definitely understand not wanting to try and find the best angle from the front wall. That would be a lot of trial and error. I actually think high and on the sides would be better anyway. Much more like a real in ceiling installation. Probably like 2-3’ in front of your LP(listening position). Definitely not anywhere behind you.

This is kinda what you’d be trying to do.

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
Well it definitely helped me a lot either way! Exactly! Especially when I’m already a nervous wreck about mounting these to begin with! Lol I’ve never mounted anything before. Gotta get everything including a better hammer for this. I actually didn’t think of it like that... having them on the sides and in between would actually be the closest to them being in ceiling since you are supposed to put those halfway back as well, not up front! I’m wondering why Dolby as well as Klipsch list putting them up front first and then behind and don’t mention side placement at all though....? Side placement would be best for me that’s for sure as I’m still freaking out about having my first mounting experience posing the possibility of crashing directly onto my tv. Lol

M

MeganElisabeth

Audiophyte
Could you shoot a pic towards the back of the room? It’s a little hard to see the installation and scale of the surrounds.
Whenever I tried taking a photo of the back of the room as a whole so you could see both surrounds together it says the image is too large.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis