Dogmatism in Science

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dlorde said:
I'm afraid I can't give you exact dates, but it's effects on pain, especially lower back pain, have been researched and published since the 70's (in 1997, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) stated that acupuncture is useful for muscular, skeletal, and generalized pain, as well as for anesthesia and post-operative pain. This was based on a critical review of over 67 controlled trials of acupuncture for pain control), although broader acknowledgement is fairly recent (within the last 3-5 years). I can't give chapter and verse on publications either, but several studies have shown that it can be very effective - e.g. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine: Use of Acupuncture for Managing Chronic Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy.

There's loads of stuff around:
Scientists Prove Acupuncture Works( :rolleyes: )
Acupuncture Points to Post-op Comfort

Some random references:

Cheng. R.S.S. and B. Pomeranz. Electrotherapy of chronic musculoskeletal pain: comparison of Electroacupuncture and Acupuncture-Like Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. Clinn J. Pain. 2: 143-149, 1987.

Coan. R.M., G. Wong, S.L. Ku. Y.C. Chan. L. Wang. F.T Ozer and P.l. Coan. The Acupuncture Treatment of low back pain a randomized controlled study. Am J. Chin. Med. 8: 181-189, 1980.

Edelist, G., A.E. Gross and F. Langer. Treatment of low back pain with acupuncture. Can. Anaesth. Soc. J. 23: 303-306, 1976.

Lee, P.K., T.W. Andersen. J.H. Nodell and S.A. Saga. Treatment of chronic pain with acupuncture. JAMA 232: 1133-1135. 1975.

Leung, P.C. Treatment of low back pain with acupuncture. Am. J Chin Med. 7: 372-378, 1979.

Macdonald, A.J., K.D. Macrae, B.R. Master and A.P. Rubin. Superficial acupuncture in the relief of chronic low back pain. Ann R. Coll. Surg. Engl. 65: 44-46, 1983.

Petrie, J.P. and G.B. Iangley. Acupuncture in the treatment of chronic cervical pain- A pilot Study. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 1: 333-335, 1983.

Thomas, M. And T. Lundeberg. Importance of modes of acupuncture in the treatment of chronic nociceptive low back pain. Acta Anesthesiol. Scand. 38: 63-69, 1994.

Thomas, M., S. Arner and T. Lundeberg. Is acupuncture an alternative in idiopathic pain disorder? Acta. Anaesthesiol. Scand. 36: 637-642, 1992.

Vincent, C.A. and P.H. Richardson. The Evaluation of therapeutic acupuncture: Concepts and Methods. Pain, 24: 1-13, 1986
Thanks for the citations. I may need to look further into them and bounce it off of others.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Better evidence is needed

dlorde said:
I'm afraid I can't give you exact dates, but it's effects on pain, especially lower back pain, have been researched and published since the 70's (in 1997, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) stated that acupuncture is useful for muscular, skeletal, and generalized pain, as well as for anesthesia and post-operative pain. This was based on a critical review of over 67 controlled trials of acupuncture for pain control), although broader acknowledgement is fairly recent (within the last 3-5 years). I can't give chapter and verse on publications either, but several studies have shown that it can be very effective - e.g. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine: Use of Acupuncture for Managing Chronic Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy.

There's loads of stuff around:
Scientists Prove Acupuncture Works( :rolleyes: )
Acupuncture Points to Post-op Comfort

Some random references:

Cheng. R.S.S. and B. Pomeranz. Electrotherapy of chronic musculoskeletal pain: comparison of Electroacupuncture and Acupuncture-Like Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. Clinn J. Pain. 2: 143-149, 1987.

Coan. R.M., G. Wong, S.L. Ku. Y.C. Chan. L. Wang. F.T Ozer and P.l. Coan. The Acupuncture Treatment of low back pain a randomized controlled study. Am J. Chin. Med. 8: 181-189, 1980.

Edelist, G., A.E. Gross and F. Langer. Treatment of low back pain with acupuncture. Can. Anaesth. Soc. J. 23: 303-306, 1976.

Lee, P.K., T.W. Andersen. J.H. Nodell and S.A. Saga. Treatment of chronic pain with acupuncture. JAMA 232: 1133-1135. 1975.

Leung, P.C. Treatment of low back pain with acupuncture. Am. J Chin Med. 7: 372-378, 1979.

Macdonald, A.J., K.D. Macrae, B.R. Master and A.P. Rubin. Superficial acupuncture in the relief of chronic low back pain. Ann R. Coll. Surg. Engl. 65: 44-46, 1983.

Petrie, J.P. and G.B. Iangley. Acupuncture in the treatment of chronic cervical pain- A pilot Study. Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 1: 333-335, 1983.

Thomas, M. And T. Lundeberg. Importance of modes of acupuncture in the treatment of chronic nociceptive low back pain. Acta Anesthesiol. Scand. 38: 63-69, 1994.

Thomas, M., S. Arner and T. Lundeberg. Is acupuncture an alternative in idiopathic pain disorder? Acta. Anaesthesiol. Scand. 36: 637-642, 1992.

Vincent, C.A. and P.H. Richardson. The Evaluation of therapeutic acupuncture: Concepts and Methods. Pain, 24: 1-13, 1986

My initial investigation

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

http://www.ncahf.org/pp/acu.html

shows and seems to support my position well. Please read this lengthe article. It has an interesting comment about NIH that I had a bad feeling about to begin with, and seems to highlight the problems with the published data.

I just don't see anything proven in a credible manner. But, I could be wrong; have been know to happen, from time to time. :D

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Thanks for the citations. I may need to look further into them and bounce it off of others.

Do you actully feel the need to argue about everything? ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mudcat said:
Do you actully feel the need to argue about everything? ;)

No, not everything, just many things that are of dubious nature and of interest to me :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis