J

joms

Enthusiast
Anyone here using or have heard the Doge 7 tube DAC? I'm very interested in it after watching the review of Jay (The next best thing studio).

I was set on getting the Denafrips Venus II but after viewing his review, i am now on the fence whether i should get the Doge 7 or the Venus II. Jay gave the Doge 7 "the best DAC award last month along with the Pontus" and yesterday on their yearly awards, he gave the "Best price no object - component award of the year" to Doge 7 tube DAC and take note, among its competitors were the Denafrips Pontus and Terminator+.

I'm really intrigued if i should get the Doge 7 due to this.

My system:
B&W 805D3
Primaluna EVO400 tube preamp (soon)
Primaluna EVO400 tube poweramp - 2x 70w (soon)
streamer - either lumin u1 mini or OpticalRendu (soon)
small bedroom setup (18 sqm/193 sqft)
music i listen to = jazz/classical/soft relaxing music. I don't listen to rock, electronic, loud, disco music.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Anyone here using or have heard the Doge 7 tube DAC? I'm very interested in it after watching the review of Jay (The next best thing studio).

I was set on getting the Denafrips Venus II but after viewing his review, i am now on the fence whether i should get the Doge 7 or the Venus II. Jay gave the Doge 7 "the best DAC award last month along with the Pontus" and yesterday on their yearly awards, he gave the "Best price no object - component award of the year" to Doge 7 tube DAC and take note, among its competitors were the Denafrips Pontus and Terminator+.

I'm really intrigued if i should get the Doge 7 due to this.

My system:
B&W 805D3
Primaluna EVO400 tube preamp (soon)
Primaluna EVO400 tube poweramp - 2x 70w (soon)
streamer - either lumin u1 mini or OpticalRendu (soon)
small bedroom setup (18 sqm/193 sqft)
music i listen to = jazz/classical/soft relaxing music. I don't listen to rock, electronic, loud, disco music.
I bought the Magnepan LRS based on a review from Jay. They sounded OK if you didn't have anything to compare them to. However, once I A/B them against the Sierra Towers the LRS sounded amazingly fuzzy in comparison like a blanket was draped over the speakers. The Sierra Towers offered much more clarity to the point I found no use for the Magnepan LRS.

What I'm trying to say is Jay's advice has a lot to be desired in my book. In addition, shipping on the Dodge 7 is $224 which is crazy. I bought an Amp from Australia via DHL shipping for $95. Can't understand a $224 shipping fee. AND I don't see anything about a return policy. These are all red flags for me. But if you think Jay's video means it's great this may not mean much to you?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I have not heard the Doge and will have to check out his review. I’ve read (and seen) nothing but good stuff about Denfrips and am very intrigued by their stuff. If you are interested in other R2R tube DACs, I did have a quick demo of the BorderPatrol DAC and really liked its sound (I was demoing speakers and did not spend very much time with it). The price is in line with the Doge... Also, I see you have Lumin on your wish list- I was very impressed with the D2.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone else?
I don't understand why anyone would want a DAC with tubes!?!?!?

The job role of a DAC is to take a digital data stream and convert it to an absolutely accurate analog signal. When you add tubes into the signal path, you add distortion into the signal path! That is decidedly NOT the job role of a DAC.

Have you considered that tubes also degrade over time and will need bias adjustment? Does this DAC have an auto-bias feature? Are you willing to replace tubes in the future as they wear out?

A tube DAC is silly! Get a decent Solid State DAC using a good (commodity) DAC chip and be done with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why is Jay's opinion meaningful? I've tried to watch his stuff before but its just his subjective opinion it seems....not very interesting.

J

joms

Enthusiast
Why is Jay's opinion meaningful? I've tried to watch his stuff before but its just his subjective opinion it seems....not very interesting.
So you'd rather go for the denafrips venus II as against the Doge 7?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need an external dac in the first place. I wouldn't spend that much for such a basic piece of electronics in any case, you can get an excellent dac for far less.

ps I'd check out the vast amount of dac info at audiosciencereview.com. If you want someone happy with a Denafrips, @pcosmic will be glad to tell you how much he likes his....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis