Does this exist? A/V receiver without the amp.

T

tenukenol

Audiophyte
I would like to buy a system that is compact and has the following inputs...
  • bluetooth
  • USB storage drive
  • RCA aux x 2
  • HDMI x 2
  • FM optional
  • balanced stereo input optional
  • SPDIF optional
  • digital COAX optional
And has the ability to output to either a 2.1 or 5.1 amplifier.
Also, would like a headphone jack, preferably 6.5mm (but not opposed to a separate headphone amp)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
just buy an AV receiver with the inputs you desire that has 'pre-out' capability and you're good to go !

BTW, amplifiers aren't 2.1 or 5.1, that so designates your system set up. 2 and 5 meaning system channels and the .1 indicating one sub.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with @Mikado463 .

There are AV receivers (AVRs) with no amplifier section. They're called AV Preamp/processors (Pre-Pros for short). The big AV makers, Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha sell them. Despite the lack of any amplifier sections, they cost more than nearly all the AVRs made by these same companies. Apparently the Pre-Pros are loaded with all the possible AV features, functions, bells & whistles. Because they sell so many AVRs and so few AV Pre-Pros the AVRs benefit from mass production while the Pre-Pros are a niche market.

These Pre-Pros made by the big makers are not compact. But I haven't looked lately at new models. Because of the expensive licensing fees for Dolby Digital, DTS, HDMI, etc. most or all of the small makers have abandoned the AVR or AV Pre-Pro market.

You sacrifice nothing in sound quality by using an AVR as a pre-amp instead of a dedicated Pre-Pro. An AVR also allows you the less expensive option of using a more powerful external amp for some channels, but not all of them. I use an AVR plus an external 2-channel amp which drives my front left & right speakers. The AVR drives my center channel speaker and the two rear channel speakers I have.

Look into those AVRs that have pre-amp output jacks for the audio channels. Some Denon examples are the AVR X3700H, AVR X4700H, and other higher priced AVRs. Believe it or not, you might find most or all of the features you want, in them – at a lower price than if you bought an AV Pre/Pro.

All of the AVRs that have this feature will have individual pre-out jacks as seen below:
1668442682722.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
  • bluetooth
  • USB storage drive
  • RCA aux x 2
  • HDMI x 2
  • FM optional
  • SPDIF optional
  • digital COAX optional
Also, would like a headphone jack, preferably 6.5mm (but not opposed to a separate headphone amp)
You want BT but not wifi? Won't find too many avrs or pre-pros with balanced inputs, a few will have balanced outputs, tho. SPDIF applies to both optical and coax digital connections. You might look at miniDSP offerings. You might have a 2 or 5 channel amp, not likely the amp itself will support the LFE channel, altho if you got a 3 or 6 channel amp and maybe the appropriate sub that works well at that power level....but most subs are self-powered so you'd just need an amp for the passive speakers and preferably a sub pre-out (hopefully with bass management rather than just a full range pre-out).

T

tenukenol

Audiophyte
  • bluetooth
  • USB storage drive
  • RCA aux x 2
  • HDMI x 2
  • FM optional
  • SPDIF optional
  • digital COAX optional
And has the ability to output xender to either a 2.1 or 5.1 amplifier.
I got this,...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
  • bluetooth
  • USB storage drive
  • RCA aux x 2
  • HDMI x 2
  • FM optional
  • SPDIF optional
  • digital COAX optional
Here you go, this will do it...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis