Does the Yamaha NS-SW1000 have what it takes to be a serious subwoofer?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Unlike most of Yamaha's previous subwoofers that lacked the gusto to hang with the big boys, their new flagship NS-SW1000 means business. The NS-SW1000 features a powerful 1,000-watt amplifier and high excursion 12" driver with a double ferrite magnet and cast frame. The NS-SW1000 has an impressive black gloss finish, reminiscent of a Yamaha grand piano, which provides a touch of elegance to any living space. Does it sound as good as it looks, and can it really thump? Based on the hardware inside, we'd venture to guess a big Yes and Yes. We just may have to put one through our rigorous testing procedure to find out for sure.

Yamaha NS-SW1000 Subwoofer Preview

Do you think this Yammie has what it takes to be a serious contender for those serious about bass?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks like Yamaha is targeting JL Audio and Velodyne with this thing. The driver looks serious at least, and it might make sense for someone who lives in an upscale urban area where floorspace is at a premium. I am just trying to think of nice things to say about a $2.5k ported 12".

S

SV SACD Audiophile

Audiophyte
A bit disappointed in Yamaha for using a pressed paper cone with Kevlar, for a $2500 sub.

No, they can't hang with the big boys. Look at their SW10 Studio that sold for $1000. That's why I didn't go with them for my hi-fi stereo subs.

I'm not bashing Yamaha. I am EXCEPTIONALLY IMPRESSED with my Yamaha Studio Monitors. I am the proud owner of an Aventage receiver. Lastly, I am surprised with the musical tunes my YST-SW216 plays.

Yamaha, do you think it's time to take a lesson from JL Audio, SVS, and Velodyne before saying this speaker of yours "adds...to your audiophile grade audio system."?

Let me give you guys a hint...sealed.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This day and age then ID brand deliver AH extreme rated sub under 1k, I feel that Yamaha new offering, though represents big improvement, still "a bit" lacking as far as value (price per performance) concerns

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
From reading the description, it seems like Yamaha did do their homework on the enclosure offering mitered joints all around, a beefy driver and powerful amp to make up for the smallish enclosure. My impression of this sub seems like its really well built but like BoredSysAdmin says, I wonder if they could have priced it lower and stll make good money on it.

S

Sam Black

Audiophyte
Litz wire? Really? It's dumb enough for full range audio, but using it on a subwoofer it's pure marketing.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I got an impression from the picture before I saw the price and I was thinking $300 to $500, when I saw the price I was absolutely shocked!! the thing reminds me of the cheap Polk subs that are often offered free as an incentive to buy something else. If I had to pick between this Yamaha and the SVS SB16, I'd pick the SVS even if the prices were flipped.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unlike most of Yamaha's previous subwoofers that lacked the gusto to hang with the big boys, their new flagship NS-SW1000 means business. The NS-SW1000 features a powerful 1,000-watt amplifier and high excursion 12" driver with a double ferrite magnet and cast frame. The NS-SW1000 has an impressive black gloss finish, reminiscent of a Yamaha grand piano, which provides a touch of elegance to any living space. Does it sound as good as it looks, and can it really thump? Based on the hardware inside, we'd venture to guess a big Yes and Yes. We just may have to put one through our rigorous testing procedure to find out for sure.

Yamaha NS-SW1000 Subwoofer Preview

Do you think this Yammie has what it takes to be a serious contender for those serious about bass?
Any plans on testing the unit?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Like most retail subwoofer offerings that are worthy of consideration (an it's not the only one) it's vastly overpriced compared to ID subwoofers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis