Does the Denon X4400H work with Dolby Vision?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Wondering if the Denon X4400H works with Dolby Vision? Does it need to be downloaded or does it work out of the box?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Wondering if the Denon X4400H works with Dolby Vision? Does it need to be downloaded or does it work out of the box?
Yes it passes Dolby Vision through. Don't have to download anything but might have to turn on a feature within the receiver itself for Dolby Vision.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Anyone know what i have to do to get Dolby Vision through my X4400H? And how do i know Dobly Vision is working?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Vision is like another one of those "HDR" formats.

Your BenQ projector doesn't have Dolby Vision.

Your BenQ PJ doesn't even have the most common HDR10 or any kind of HDR.

So it doesn't matter if your Denon has Dolby Vision.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But I wouldn't lose any sleep over Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced, HDR, HLG, or another variety they come out with tomorrow.

Just put in a SDR standard version BluRay disc and enjoy. :D

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I put in a 4k How to Train Your Dragon 3 and it looked brilliant. Would it look just as good with plain blu ray on my projector.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I put in a 4k How to Train Your Dragon 3 and it looked brilliant. Would it look just as good with plain blu ray on my projector.
It also depends on the BD player.

If the BD is HDR and your PJ is not HDR, the BD player will have to convert HDR to SDR for your PJ.

If the BD player does a good job of converting HDR to SDR, then you won't notice any difference.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

But I think there's no point of spending more money on HDR BD when your PJ doesn't even support HDR.

If your TV or PJ does NOT support HDR, might as well just buy non-HDR BD.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ok thanks thats great since the 4k movies are crazy expensive! I can buy used blu ray movies from redbox.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
If i want my BD player to do the upscaling DVD's and Blu-rays. Do i go to Video/Output settings on the 4400 and turn Video Conversion to "off"? Or am i wrong about this and need to change something else?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If i want my BD player to do the upscaling DVD's and Blu-rays. Do i go to Video/Output settings on the 4400 and turn Video Conversion to "off"? Or am i wrong about this and need to change something else?
I would set the Denon Video Conversion to Automatic.

I think others may set it to OFF.

Really no wrong answers.

I would set the Video Upscaling on the Sony BD player to 2160p.

So everything that outputs from the Sony BD player will be upscaled 2160p. Then the Denon will not have to do anything.

But for other sources that are 1080p or 720p, the Denon will Automatically upscale to 2160p.

BTW, I say "2160p" instead of "4K" because the BluRay, TV and most PJ resolution is 3840 x 2160p, so it's not really "4K" - it's actually 3.8K. LOL. :D

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Oh i thought it was 3.7K? Ha! So set the BD player to 2160p instead of "auto"?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh i thought it was 3.7K? Ha! So set the BD player to 2160p instead of "auto"?
That's what I would do. Set BD player to 2160p. Now everything that goes into the BD player will come out as 2160p.

My PC is capable of 7680 x 4320 (they call this "8K").

So as soon as JVC sells an 8K PJ for $6K and Yamaha makes an 8K Pre-pro, I will be all set for 8K. :D

They don't even make an 8K BD player yet. :D

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Denon Video Conversion only has "on" or "off" So set it to "off" right?
And i/p Scaler to "off" or "HDMI"?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis