Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Looks good - however, did you also see the PB 1000
PB-1000 - SVS
Tweet

I have never actually put a ported box vs a sealed box in hearing it myself but when reading about the different boxes I think I will like the sealed box better.

correct if I'm wrong but the way I translated what read was in a sealed box the actual sound is not as loud and has less of a frequency range but it is cleaner and crisper. With the ported box it is louder and a wider frequency range but the sound is not as crisp or clean and there is a slight delay in the base.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have never actually put a ported box vs a sealed box in hearing it myself but when reading about the different boxes I think I will like the sealed box better.

correct if I'm wrong but the way I translated what read was in a sealed box the actual sound is not as loud and has less of a frequency range but it is cleaner and crisper. With the ported box it is louder and a wider frequency range but the sound is not as crisp or clean and there is a slight delay in the base.
The choice/preference is up to you - it all comes down to you, your system looks nice.
Monitor Audio and SVS make some nice stuff. The Radius will be nice.

For movies ported boxes overall tend to be better, they can dig lower - for mostly music,
many prefer sealed.

The somewhat debate between the two, will tend to continue - however a well designed
and engineered ported sub, can hold its own for both Home Theater and Music.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
The choice/preference is up to you - it all comes down to you, your system looks nice.
Monitor Audio and SVS make some nice stuff. The Radius will be nice.

For movies ported boxes overall tend to be better, they can dig lower - for mostly music,
many prefer sealed.

The somewhat debate between the two, will tend to continue - however a well designed
and engineered ported sub, can hold its own for both Home Theater and Music.
and does the svs sub hold its own for both?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
and does the svs sub hold its own for both?
While I can not guarantee anything - the word so far, is that the PB-1000 does an overall
nice job with music. If you do not want the loudest or deepest bass, then the sealed sub
SB-1000 should work out for you.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
I think I'll go to best buy and demo both both a ported and sealed of the same brand with the only difference being ported and sealed.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Given your size limitation I doubt the ported will work.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think I'll go to best buy and demo both both a ported and sealed of the same brand with the only difference being ported and sealed.
I would not use lower quality subwoofers as a reference point - it is about design/engineering and quality.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
I would not use lower quality subwoofers as a reference point - it is about design/engineering and quality.
I know. I'm talking about their seriously over priced quality brand name stuff. The good stuff that is ridiculously over priced in their magnolia rooms.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
So I actually just had a revelation today. I could buy one of those nifty home theater tv stands that has a specific location for the sub in the cabinet and instead of a door it is covered with the supposed sound passing cloth. What are your opinions on how that affects the subs sound? I would rather have a smaller sealed box than a larger but distorted and muffled sounding ported box

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you think that's a good idea you are crazy. I know a guy who put his speakers and sub in a cabinet and it was dreadful. It's a really bad idea.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So I actually just had a revelation today. I could buy one of those nifty home theater tv stands that has a specific location for the sub in the cabinet and instead of a door it is covered with the supposed sound passing cloth. What are your opinions on how that affects the subs sound?
Go for it. Your wife will love it. Who cares if it'll sound distorted and muffled.

I would rather have a smaller sealed box than a larger but distorted and muffled sounding ported box
And, you base this rather astute observation on ...what? Your expansive and all-encompassing experience in this hobby?

Seriously, you might want to listen to some "real" subwoofers before making such blanket statements, at least on a site like this where we know better.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I actually just had a revelation today. I could buy one of those nifty home theater tv stands that has a specific location for the sub in the cabinet and instead of a door it is covered with the supposed sound passing cloth. What are your opinions on how that affects the subs sound? I would rather have a smaller sealed box than a larger but distorted and muffled sounding ported box
A bad revelation

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Go for it. Your wife will love it. Who cares if it'll sound distorted and muffled.

And, you base this rather astute observation on ...what? Your expansive and all-encompassing experience in this hobby?

Seriously, you might want to listen to some "real" subwoofers before making such blanket statements, at least on a site like this where we know better.
Before you make sarcastic comments and attack people you might want to read some of my other posts as well. Looking at one post will only give you a section of the full picture. I have two options. To go with a ported box and "hide" it somewhere because of its size or go with a smaller sealed box, as a previous post states. The distorted sound comment was in reference to if it was going to ruin the sound from being hidden away in a cabinet. Now if you would have read more than one post before making your assumption and attacking me maybe you would have realized that. You may want to think about why your the only one that didn't understand that post or your the only one that felt the need to lash out for no good reason.
so in conclusion no I'm not being an ignorant a-hole by making assumptions based on my very limited experience(that's why I'm asking all the questions I am here in the first place). The irony is your the ignorant one attacking me for no good reason.
To everyone else here who has been helpful and just want to reply to friendly posts I apologize to your for this out of place rant.

Last edited:
L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
If you think that's a good idea you are crazy. I know a guy who put his speakers and sub in a cabinet and it was dreadful. It's a really bad idea.
thank your the advice. Don't know why some people can't just state it's a bad idea. Thank you and I will just go with the smaller sealed box and nix the new entertainment center idea

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Before you make sarcastic comments and attack people you might want to read some of my other posts as well.
I DID read your othjer posts. Had you been paying attention or tried to absorb to what I, or anyone for that matter, tried to tell you, you might have realized that I participated in each of them and we tried, unsuccessfully I might add, to teach you a few things.

Looking at one post will only give you a section of the full picture.
Yeah, yeah I know "the whole picture". You really don't rember me, do you?

I have two options. To go with a ported box and "hide" it somewhere because of its size or go with a smaller sealed box, as a previous post states. The distorted sound comment was in reference to if it was going to ruin the sound from being hidden away in a cabinet.
Either you really don't remember what you said (more the pity), or you're simply trying to backtrack/alibi for making a stupid statement. Either way, the posts stand and are visible for all to see.

Now if you would have read more than one post before making your assumption and attacking me maybe you would have realized that.
Again, I've read all your posts and responded to many. Now, had you listened to what many people, myself included, have been telling you since you started posting here, we wouldn't have had to have this discussion. You might actually have learned something.

Actually, there's a rumor going around that really don't want guidance but are simply trolling because it's difficult to believe anyone could be that dernse. From the way you absorb the great information offered, they might be on to something.

Last edited:
L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Actually I did absorb what you guys have said. That's why I did settle on the receiver and speakers I just had an idea that maybe I could put in a cabinet. Rather than risk wasting money and it sounding like **** (which I thought it would, hence the part where I made the distorted and muffled comment) I thought I would ask and draw off other people's experience. The questions I have are based off research I have done myself. Some of it is harder to grasp right away than other stuff. I don't think there was any need to attack my comment about the sub sounding like **** because that was in reference to IF it sounded shitty sitting in a cabinet, which I thought it would. i just wanted to make sure there wasnt some kind of specific build or type or even something I could DIY to make it sound good. I actually HAVE heard both kinds of subs and I prefer the ported versus the sealed but I don't think I am going to be able to go with ported.
as far as the post in the previous threads some of them took a little more to sink in. I just don't think I fully realized the level of research that goes into this hobby.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I don't think anyone appreciates the amount of research that goes into this hobby. There (IMO) is no end in sight as far as I can see. This is most evident when talking speakers to friends, they don't even know what 'sounds good' means....

Just for a point of reference, reasons why a speaker/sub sounds good should never be anything you can read on the stats sticker on the back of it!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis