Does DVI support audio ?

jeepinjerimiah

jeepinjerimiah

Audiophyte
Just like the title I'm new to home theatre and was wondering if DVI carried audio. I know HDMI carried both audio and video but unsure about DVI.

The reason why I ask is because I have a Soyo Atlas Series 32" LCD with a DVI input and want to put it to use because the XBOX 360 is taking up the component slot.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No. DVI is video only. HDMI is a DVI-like video signal with audio as well.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
HDMI is, in fact, identical to DVI except for the physical connector and the fact that HDMI carries audio while DVI does not. In other words, no, DVI will not carry an audio signal.

jeepinjerimiah

jeepinjerimiah

Audiophyte
Ok Thank You guys. So if I use DVI I still need to hook my audio via a recevier or something.

What I wanted to do is hook up my HD comcast box to my LCD and hook the audio to the TV too

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The TV probably accepts analog audio only so you need to use stereo RCA connections for that. You can then use an HDMI-DVI cable for the video.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Ho said:
HDMI is, in fact, identical to DVI except for the physical connector and the fact that HDMI carries audio while DVI does not. In other words, no, DVI will not carry an audio signal.

I like jazvon's reply better:D
Fewer words faster to read. Maybe he is the person Rumsfeld is looking for:D Not many words in a paragraph. :D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I added more detail with my words. ;) I like detail and I like to type. I was a bit redundant above with the last sentence though. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis