DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
If I get my hands on a DTV HD receiver and hook it up will I still get a picture without having the HD service? I'm simply, at this point looking to use the HDMI connection and clean up the back of the AVR a bit.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes.

If I get my hands on a DTV HD receiver and hook it up will I still get a picture with having the HD service? I'm simply, at this point looking to use the HDMI connection and clean up the back of the AVR a bit.
Assuming you're talking OTA and an ATSC receiver, you have local HD stations available, and an antenna capable of receiving them. I don't know if they output HDMI, though, since component can handle all the HD quality that HDTV can throw at them.

If you mean will you get it from cable? I strongly doubt it. A cable "tuner", or "set-top-box" is QAM, not ATSC and how each cable company handles ths is up to them. For a definitive answer here you'll have to check with your local service provider

Hope this answers your question, or at least points you in the right direction to get it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If I get my hands on a DTV HD receiver and hook it up will I still get a picture without having the HD service? I'm simply, at this point looking to use the HDMI connection and clean up the back of the AVR a bit.
Are you talking about a Direct TV HD DVR? If so the answer is no, and that goes for all satellite and cable systems.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can see where this is gonna be confusing for a while.

Are you talking about a Direct TV HD DVR? If so the answer is no, and that goes for all satellite and cable systems.
I took this as "Digital TV", as in OTA. I do know they make OTA digital TV receivers that offer HD.

Of course, they are not the ones those $40 coupons cover. I think they go for around $200 or so.

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
I took this as "Digital TV", as in OTA. I do know they make OTA digital TV receivers that offer HD.

Of course, they are not the ones those $40 coupons cover. I think they go for around $200 or so.
Sorry if I was not clear. What I am asking is if I get a DirecTV HD box and am not paying for HD service will I still get a picture. Not an HD pictire, just a std. definition picture.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry if I was not clear. What I am asking is if I get a DirecTV HD box and am not paying for HD service will I still get a picture. Not an HD pictire, just a std. definition picture.
I doubt you'll get any picture at all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I doubt you'll get any picture at all.
Correct no picture at all. You will have to get the card from Direct TV to put in the slot. Until you do, the unit will be a boat anchor. They will probably as you a lot of questions as to how you came by the unit also.

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
Correct no picture at all. You will have to get the card from Direct TV to put in the slot. Until you do, the unit will be a boat anchor. They will probably as you a lot of questions as to how you came by the unit also.
OK, looks like I keep leaving out important information. I am currently a DTV customer with an old Sony SAT-82 I've has for over ten years now. I currently only subscribe to std. (non HD) service.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, looks like I keep leaving out important information. I am currently a DTV customer with an old Sony SAT-82 I've has for over ten years now. I currently only subscribe to std. (non HD) service.
I assumed you were a current DTV customer, but it makes no difference. You will still have to have a prom card issued to you, and change the one that is in there for it to work. Direct TV will insist you purchase not only HD service but DVR service. There are two charges that go with those boxes.

You have to initiate the DVR service after inserting the card. When first set up, those devices will not record. You have to sit on the phone with a tech, and go through the set up procedure. You have to repeat all that even if you get sent a replacement DVR if the one you have malfunctions.

The only way you can use that box is to purchase HD and DVR service. Also, for it to work you need a new dish, mast, LLB unit and multiswitch. Also you need to run another cable up to the dish. These units require two cables from the DVR to the dish. If your cable is old and does not have enough bandwidth, the cable you have now will also have to be replaced, and you will need two new cables. Also you will need a fast smart UPS, as that system locks up with the slightest voltage glitch. Not only that, the voltage fluctuations are very prone to blow up the DVRs and all the complex gear on the roof. Originally I had only one of my units on a UPS, but after getting through two DVRs and one set of roof electronics, I put a UPS on the other system, and have had no failures and no lockups. Before putting a UPS on both systems, it would lock up both units. It was a total pain. Now I have zero lock ups.

That's it, there is no way round it.

Last edited:
DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
I assumed you were a current DTV customer, but it makes no difference. You will still have to have a prom card issued to you, and change the one that is in there for it to work. Direct TV will insist you purchase not only HD service but DVR service. There are two charges that go with those boxes.

You have to initiate the DVR service after inserting the card. When first set up, those devices will not record. You have to sit on the phone with a tech, and go through the set up procedure. You have to repeat all that even if you get sent a replacement DVR if the one you have malfunctions.

The only way you can use that box is to purchase HD and DVR service. Also, for it to work you need a new dish, mast, LLB unit and multiswitch. Also you need to run another cable up to the dish. These units require two cables from the DVR to the dish. If your cable is old and does not have enough bandwidth, the cable you have now will also have to be replaced, and you will need two new cables. Also you will need a fast smart UPS, as that system locks up with the slightest voltage glitch. Not only that, the voltage fluctuations are very prone to blow up the DVRs and all the complex gear on the roof. Originally I had only one of my units on a UPS, but after getting through two DVRs and one set of roof electronics, I put a UPS on the other system, and have had no failures and no lockups. Before putting a UPS on both systems, it would lock up both units. It was a total pain. Now I have zero lock ups.

That's it, there is no way round it.
Thanks, I have zero interest in DVR so maybe my best bet would be DISH. I'm pretty sure they had options for standard, HD, and HD plus DVR. Off to have a look now, thanks again :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks, I have zero interest in DVR so maybe my best bet would be DISH. I'm pretty sure they had options for standard, HD, and HD plus DVR. Off to have a look now, thanks again :)
DVR is digital video recorder. I think you mean you have no interest in DTV, Direct TV.

I don't think Dish will be any different. Both have SD which you have now, HD service and HD DVR service.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis