Does anyone do sonotube enclosures anymore?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Anyone making sonotube enclosures anymore? After I purchase the 14" sonotube for my 12" subwoofer, should I pant it inside and out to make it stiffer? Not sure what to use on the inside but I want the outside to look nice so I was thinking this stuff: Thanks for any help guys and gals!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only commercial sub I can think of in that form factor is SVS or maybe Bossobass. Don't know but painting it I think isn't necessary from what I've seen about sonotube subs for performance (but aesthetically might be okay for you), but whose design are you following or did you model it yourself or ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was gonna tease you about the pant thing, but they do look better with pants on to an extent :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I modeled it myself from this website:

And I meant paint not pant.
Painting the inside won’t matter.
I’ve built a couple and used this…

Very straightforward.

Also, for finishing, I’ve wrapped them in vinyl, and you can get the the same grill that SVS used to use on the top from parts express. Baseplate and standoffs can be attached with hurricane nuts. For different sizes of sonotube, try a concrete place. They usually have a variety, but Home Depot should too.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the software William. I found a concrete place that has a bunch of different size sonotubes.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Would 14" sonotube need bracing inside the enclosure? I made 2 sonotube enclosures with 14" sonotube and 2 12" subs for my car and it worked great with no bracing. But would like to know if it needs bracing since I want it to sound as good as possible. Thanks guys!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's why Sonotubes are liked by many... you don't really need to brace them or anything. It may still be advisable to consider some level of stuffing, but even that isn't necessary, and depending on the length can be tricky.
Just make certain to get a very good seal around the top and bottom plates, around the driver and port.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Yeah I will do about 2ft3 after port and sub displacement. And a 4" aeroport tuned around 33hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I will do about 2ft3 after port and sub displacement. And a 4" aeroport tuned around 33hz.
Ryno speaks da troof!!! No bracing required.

Just curious. Why not make it a little bigger and tune it to at least 20hz?
OR! Go crazy with an 11cuft tube tuned to about 10hz!!!!!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My bad, I am using 2 of these in my car. I have an 18" TC Sounds LMS-R ultra 5400 and 4 DIYSG MBM's in my home theater. Didn't want to say they were for a car.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone making sonotube enclosures anymore? After I purchase the 14" sonotube for my 12" subwoofer, should I pant it inside and out to make it stiffer? Not sure what to use on the inside but I want the outside to look nice so I was thinking this stuff: Thanks for any help guys and gals!

Paint will not make it stiffer. For that matter, as a structural engineer told me, a cylinder is an inherently stiff shape, so it really doesn't need much. It's already strong enough to withstand the stress from being filled with concrete- now much effect do you think air will have on it?

If you want to make it stiffer, add a couple of layers of fiberglass, sand it smooth and paint it.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Cool I will just paint the outside so they look nice.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My bad, I am using 2 of these in my car. I have an 18" TC Sounds LMS-R ultra 5400 and 4 DIYSG MBM's in my home theater. Didn't want to say they were for a car.
Oh. Didn’t know that. Then my suggestion won’t work very well lol.

annunaki

annunaki

Me being who I am, I would add bracing, but I also like to overbuild my enclosures to insure I do not have any potential for resonances. That is the point of DIY to a degree, right? Because you can…

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Me being who I am, I would add bracing, but I also like to overbuild my enclosures to insure I do not have any potential for resonances. That is the point of DIY to a degree, right? Because you can…
Now I have this vision of somebody building a rectangular enclosure and sliding it into a jumbo sonotube, all in the name of bracing.
:p

;)

annunaki

annunaki

Now I have this vision of somebody building a rectangular enclosure and sliding it into a jumbo sonotube, all in the name of bracing.
:p

;)
Haha!!

Not quite but I have went through the mental design exercise of what I would do. ;):D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis