Does an Amp still send/use power to Speaker-Out's if using Pre-Out's?

TX428

TX428

Audiophyte
@PENG I acutally got rid of Klipsch Forte III's as they were overpowering for my room, were fatiguing after :30 minutes (killer horns),and there is no real matching center channel. I also ripped out B&W 6xx series previously. Have you heard the Navis? The fact they are 3-way with each speaker getting it's tailored amplifier makes them incredible. Everyone who heard them at RMAF was blown away, and looking for subwoofers. These things go down to 44hz. I was almost tempted to go B&W 8xx series, but honestly, after listening to both, I prefered the much less expensive Navis'. For my use case, room, etc, they simply excel and I don't need to mess with monoblocks, etc.

However, I may look into GoldenEar Triton's in the future. If Elac made a Navis center chanel, I would upgrade my AVR to something with Front & Center XLR pre-outs, or simply switch to a Processor, and figure out a simple amp for the surrounds. I might be crazy however. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG I acutally got rid of Klipsch Forte III's as they were overpowering for my room, were fatiguing after :30 minutes (killer horns),and there is no real matching center channel. I also ripped out B&W 6xx series previously. Have you heard the Navis? The fact they are 3-way with each speaker getting it's tailored amplifier makes them incredible. Everyone who heard them at RMAF was blown away, and looking for subwoofers. These things go down to 44hz. I was almost tempted to go B&W 8xx series, but honestly, after listening to both, I prefered the much less expensive Navis'. For my use case, room, etc, they simply excel and I don't need to mess with monoblocks, etc.

However, I may look into GoldenEar Triton's in the future. If Elac made a Navis center chanel, I would upgrade my AVR to something with Front & Center XLR pre-outs, or simply switch to a Processor, and figure out a simple amp for the surrounds. I might be crazy however. :)
No I have not heard the Navis ARB51, but from a review (https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/27389/Review-ELAC-Navis-Andrew-Jones-gaat-actief.html) I read, they are probably comparable to the wireless KEF LS50 that also use 5.25" driver. I have a pair of the regular LS50 that also has relatively small 5.25" mid bass driver. The reviewer did mention the LS50 a lot so I assume he thought they were comparable. Again, since I haven't heard them, I probably shouldn't comment on them.

TX428

TX428

Audiophyte
No worries. My experience aligns with this review.

Having auditioned B&W 805 D3's vs the Navis ARB-51's they are basically on the level, to me. Sure, the 805's go a tad lower 42 instead of 44hz, and higher-- but at $6K a pair, plus a need for good amps, B&W are 2-way vs the 3-way Navis. I actually found the "mid-bass" more appealing on the Navis. At times the 805's were harsh in the Treble. (Side note: I am a bass player, and it suited me for what I listen for)... I digress. :)

Yep, the KEF LS50 would probably be the closest competitor, but coaxial is another one of the preference things, like horns. I had coaxial Technics SB-C700's for a hot minute. Another KEF LS50 competitor, and found the bass extension weak and the mid-highs overblown. I heard the KEF's once, admittedly not enough. But I was probably biased by that point about the Coaxial design. I grew up with 3-ways in the 70's & 80's so I probably have my own bias. :)

I am kinda hoping "Amplified" speakers are the future. You get matched amplifiers, and instead of speaker wire, ideally you just deal with XLR/Balanced interconnects everywhere. Similary, ending the cable debates. Attention can be spent on processors instead of a "must do everything good receiver". Ohhh, this why I also find the hybrid design of the GoldenEar Triton's intriguing.

Cheers and Thanks. This is a great forum!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@PENG
@highfigh

We are on the same page now.

I think part of the difficulty is that the OP didn't necessarily understand the correct way to ask the question, or didn't quite understand all of the nuances and details behind the question that he did ask.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis