Does a Yamaha RX-V661 support HDMI ARC in the HDMI out port?

J

James1294

Enthusiast
I have a Yamaha RX-V661 amplifier and want to set it up through ARC but I can’t seem to figure it out. I resorted to using an optical cable which works fine but does anyone know if this receiver supports ARC? If it does can someone give me a brief rundown on how to set it up on the amplifier please. I’ve set the TV settings up correctly.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It looks like your receiver was released in 2007 and HDMI ARC wasn't introduced until 2009, so it likely doesn't have it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Yamaha RX-V661 amplifier and want to set it up through ARC but I can’t seem to figure it out. I resorted to using an optical cable which works fine but does anyone know if this receiver supports ARC? If it does can someone give me a brief rundown on how to set it up on the amplifier please. I’ve set the TV settings up correctly.
It is worth adding that ARC doesn't provide better audio quality than the optical cable you are using. So, there is ZERO benefit from using ARC in your setup.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
It would say arc on the port. Black Friday is coming up, time to upgrade!!!!

S

siljoule

Audiophyte
I have got the same Yamaha RX-V661.
I use it optical-connected with my Sony tv; in this configuration, i can't control volume on TV remote, only on yamaha remote.
I've read that ARC-hdmi lets control volume on TV remote, but rx-V661 has no ARC.
Anyway, RX-V661 has got hdmi ports.
Any chance to control volume on Sony remote (using only one remote) ?

S

siljoule

Audiophyte
It is worth adding that ARC doesn't provide better audio quality than the optical cable you are using. So, there is ZERO benefit from using ARC in your setup.
Perhaps one benefit: using only one remote.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
You might be able to use tv remote for AVR volume if you try turning off the tv speakers through the tv’s audio meenu. I cannot tell you yes it will positively work because we have different gear. But that is would work for me and I cant hurt to try.Plus you can always bring it back if it does not work out.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I have got the same Yamaha RX-V661.
I use it optical-connected with my Sony tv; in this configuration, i can't control volume on TV remote, only on yamaha remote.
I've read that ARC-hdmi lets control volume on TV remote, but rx-V661 has no ARC.
Anyway, RX-V661 has got hdmi ports.
Any chance to control volume on Sony remote (using only one remote) ?
Without arc you can’t, but it’s not that worth it in my opinion. Not sure how inconvenient having two remotes is but the cost for arc based on what you have that already functions is not worth an upgrade.

Also second to that your TV which I would assume is newer would have to have arc as well. Usually a tv has only 1 hdmi port which supports arc

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
If it has ARC, it is always a single connection point. It is typically clearly labeled as the ARC HDMI connection.
Yessir, I got a couple TVs that don’t have it, but it’s all good. Think the last one was 2014 model but my Q90R has it which I use for home theater. Maybe wrong but I think it comes with 2 arc hdmi’s

S

siljoule

Audiophyte
ARC-hdmi is on my rear tv-panel. I've tried many configurations, but always I can't control volume on tv-remote. So I use tv-remote for channel changing, AND rxv661-remote for volume changing.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yessir, I got a couple TVs that don’t have it, but it’s all good. Think the last one was 2014 model but my Q90R has it which I use for home theater. Maybe wrong but I think it comes with 2 arc hdmi’s
It does not. It would be shocking to ever find a TV with more than a single ARC connection as it is meant to go between a speaker system (speakerbar or surround receiver) and a display for ease of use. I can't even figure out a real world scenario where two ARC connections would make sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis