Do you use subwoofers when listening in 2-channel?

Do you listen with subs on or off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I use my sub with music too (Rythmik F15HP), even though my towers also have built in "subs" (Ge T2).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use my sub with music too (Rythmik F15HP), even though my towers also have built in "subs" (Ge T2).
I would too. Even as good as the GE's are, they'd be no match for a 15" rythmik. Of course you know too that the best location for your mains will undoubtedly be horrible for a subwoofer.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would too. Even as good as the GE's are, they'd be no match for a 15" rythmik. Of course you know too that the best location for your mains will undoubtedly be horrible for a subwoofer.
True, all around. In my case, I really only had 1 spot available for a subwoofer, I have a fairly small house with an open floor plan. That is one of the main reasons that I have the F15 rather than the FV15--the FV just would not fit in my available space!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not sure yet.

Currently listening in 2.0 because I sold my sub (Paradigm ps1200). Also in the middle of a system rebuild that will include new speakers across the front and sub(s).

The L&R speakers I'm pretty much set on getting are noted to get to down to 33. My current speakers get down to about 42 and for the most part I like it, I don't miss the sub I sold....once everything is in place, I'll play around with it and see what I like best.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
When I have switched back and forth between Pure Direct (No sub) and Straight (Sub engaged) when listening to music, I mostly prefer the Straight room corrected mode with the sub engaged. It sounds fuller and has more weight to it. Just basically more satisfying.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
When I have switched back in forth between Pure Direct (No sub) and Straight (Sub engaged) when listening to music, I mostly prefer the Straight room corrected mode with the sub engaged. It sounds fuller and has more weight to it. Just basically more satisfying.
In my case, I prefer no processing (other than the sub) and no RC for music. For me, RC makes it lose some of the detail and fullness to the sound for music.

For movies, RC all the way.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
WOW! The only one to vote for 2.0

Then again, my front speakers each have 2 8-inch subs :)

I do vary between 5 ch stereo when the mood strikes. But mostly, I like pure direct.
You're not the only one to have subs in the front speaker cabinets. Have a look at my post #10 of this thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WOW! The only one to vote for 2.0

Then again, my front speakers each have 2 8-inch subs :)

I do vary between 5 ch stereo when the mood strikes. But mostly, I like pure direct.
Then again your two 8" drivers in the Wharfedale 250s are simply bass drivers; with an f3 of 35hz they're not subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the point is that best practice designs the system as an integrated system and not a piecemeal system. A fully integrated system will not be designed to play properly with part of the system switched off.

In a good system switching off the sub is akin to disconnecting a crossover. No bass or sub system should ever detract from the overall sound from any source at any time. If it does then it needs revision. Once everything is properly set up and leveled it should never need tinkering with.
There is so much good sense in this comment. If you have subs properly dialed-in and calibrated, why would you ever want them off? They should blend in the music seamlessly. If that is not what is happening, you do not have your subwoofer set up correctly, or the sub is junk. If all you do is turn your sub on for big loud movies, it is just a sound effects generator, not a accurate reproducer. Having a speaker that just makes big booms is fun and all, but it is also a waste of a high-performing subwoofer if that is what you are using. If you find your main speakers have better bass than the subs, something is either wrong with the subs or wrong with the way they have been set up. The fact that this poll exists means there are a lot of people out there who are using subs wrong or are using the wrong subs.

Aaron_Hunt

Aaron_Hunt

Enthusiast
My speaker is able to get 50hz, so i probably don't need it since the sound is quite accurate.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My speaker is able to get 50hz, so i probably don't need it since the sound is quite accurate.
Most people don't need too much usable output below 35hz, except some classical, organs, electronic (don't listen to) etc . Depending on your MLP small monitors of can do to the trick. Guess there are many factors that influence the setups.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Pure Direct fits the music I listen to, or would ever listen to. The subwoofer has definitely enhanced the experience. I was about to pull the trigger on an integrated amp until I found out how capable the Denon's amps are, stand alone. Surely they included that feature for a reason and they must have had some confidence in their amps. I have no purist bias otherwise, really.

I've listened to a lot of music systems over the 40 years or so in this. A few that blew me away. I am pretty amazed how easy it is to accomplish it these days. It just so happens that my living space is acoustically fit to begin with. I can simply accomplish in 2.1 what it takes others more channels and effects to achieve.

I've always lived in dated homes like I live in now. 2 channel systems were optimized for these kinds of spaces and it just happens to still work here. The .1 was simply the cherry on the top.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
In my case, I prefer no processing (other than the sub) and no RC for music. For me, RC makes it lose some of the detail and fullness to the sound for music.

For movies, RC all the way.
Gotcha....I'm thinking speakers and room play a part in that as well. Also, the type of RC you are using, I know some folks look down on YPAO because of the non EQing of bass, unless you do it manually, but it sounds darn good to me...... Although I do sometimes wonder if the money spent on equipment, the learning curve to measure and adjust the bass frequencies would give me clearly audible benefits? Who knows..........I'll save that for possible tweaking down the line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha....I'm thinking speakers and room play a part in that as well. Also what RC you are using, I know some folks look down on YPAO because of the non EQing of bass, unless you do it manually, but it sounds darn good to me...... Although I do sometimes wonder if the money spent on equipment, the learning curve to measure and adjust the bass frequencies would give me clearly audible benefits. Who knows.
No! You'll just end up deeper in the rabbit hole! On the plus side, there's plenty of company down here...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on the speakers you have.

If you own big speakers that have big bass, then you don't need additional subs.

If you own smaller speakers that don't have big bass, then you would probably want more bass.

So the question is not 2.0 vs 2.1. The question is, do most audiophiles want a lot of bass?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
It depends on the speakers you have.

If you own big speakers that have big bass, then you don't need additional subs.

If you own smaller speakers that don't have big bass, then you would probably want more bass.

So the question is not 2.0 vs 2.1. The question is, do most audiophiles want a lot of bass?
True...for now, my mains are B&W 804M...for a long time I listened 2.0, then 2.1. I recently sold my sub and buying new so back to 2.0 the last two months.

It was never known as a bass rich speaker. Some music I actually prefer 2.0, other music some of which I've heard live, I think the sub added the right amount of umph that you would hear live.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
For me, 2.1 with tone controls set the way I like them. I never was a tone flat set kind of, just never was for me. Is it "coloring" from the original sound sure it is, but that's the way "I" like it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think the point is that best practice designs the system as an integrated system and not a piecemeal system. A fully integrated system will not be designed to play properly with part of the system switched off.
Ah, and there lies the rub: fully integrated. I've measured several people's 2.1 or 2.2 systems at their listening seat with my OmniMic, and with the exception of one they all had the subs running quite hot. (Response at 20-50Hz 8-10db higher than the level at 500Hz. I usually measure at 80db.) Two of the owners said they just let Audyssey do the tuning, but the sound and the measurements were still bass-heavy. For some music, especially 70s-90s rock and roll, a bump like that can sound pleasant, even fun, but on other music, say acoustic jazz and some classical, it sounds just dumb and artificial, so the owners occasionally turned off the subs. I think the real problem is that many people just like bass and lots of it, and most recordings don't have much, so they tinker. And then when the real thing comes along it sounds funny.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For me, 2.1 with tone controls set the way I like them. I never was a tone flat set kind of, just never was for me. Is it "coloring" from the original sound sure it is, but that's the way "I" like it.
I use graphic EQ to 'color' or un-color my sound. Although, mostly it's my own room correction, or choosing speakers that have a certain presence, in exchange for perhaps, not being specifically designed for my living space. Or again perhaps for, specific genre tuning or iffy recording quality.

Auto EQ cannot tune for my ears beyond a scientific generalization. It would need another type of hookup like that used with a polygraph (new invention, you heard it here first! :D ) machine.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis